2 (5.7%)
Hindu
0 (0%)
Buddhist
0 (0%)
Other Eastern Religion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 9281 times)

admin

What is your religion?
« on: September 24, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
I'm a Traditional Jew.

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
 I'm Orthodox!
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »
Raised Catholic, but I just consider myself a non-denominational Christian.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
Secular Jew of the Kahnist non-self-hating variety.

I was going to click "muslim nazi" just because it struck me as very funny,  ;D  but then I thought other people might want to take the poll seriously so I thought better of it.  :)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:19:43 PM »
"Orthodox" and "Traditional" don't mean the same thing...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:26:21 PM »
Orthodox.

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »
Orthodox is the movement. Traditional is the observance level just like Religious is the observance level. Really all Jews are Orthodox and the term only had to be created because other movements were created and the Jews that didn't believe in the other movements needed a name, even if they are not completely observant.

And by the way, it's racist to insult Traditional Jews by lumping them together with Non-Orthodox movements. Traditional is not a movement. It is just non-fully observant Orthodox Jews who for whatever reason aren't religious yet.

If they arent fully observant, I dont think they are Orthodox. Maybe they are non practicing orthodox.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »
Orthodox is the movement. Traditional is the observance level just like Religious is the observance level. Really all Jews are Orthodox and the term only had to be created because other movements were created and the Jews that didn't believe in the other movements needed a name, even if they are not completely observant.

And by the way, it's racist to insult Traditional Jews by lumping them together with Non-Orthodox movements. Traditional is not a movement. It is just non-fully observant Orthodox Jews who for whatever reason aren't religious yet.

Now I'm confused.  :)

Erica

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
Christian.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »
Born a Jew.Raised a Catholic. Became a Born-again believer in God Jesus Christ.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
Roman Catholic Christian
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 10:21:22 PM »
Born a Jew.Raised a Catholic. Became a Born-again believer in G-d Jesus Christ.

You're a Jew by blood? How'd you end up raised Catholic, your parents converted? Excuse me if I'm asking too personal questions.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:23:52 PM »
No born again Christian,Christian

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 10:24:02 PM »
Why isnt their just plain Orthodox Jew? Im Orthodox Bukharian (Sefardi). neither hasidic or mitnagid (who are European).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:55 PM »
Nobody is a "Deformed" Jew? Thats nice to know, Deformed Judaism will die out in a few generations.....
KAHANE TZADAK!

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »
Nobody is a "Deformed" Jew? Thats nice to know, Deformed Judaism will die out in a few generations.....

Deformed Jews would most likely be turned off from JTF. They'll die out because they intermarry. The movement might still exist but will be made up of mostly Gentiles who consider themselves to be Jewish because they go by the father.

Deformed Jews would certainly be turned off by the JTF but further more I think that rather than let them intermarry we must try our very best to save them. The movement was doomed from the start the individual people are not and we must do our best to save them
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 11:05:38 PM »
conserved sephardic jew
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
Born a Jew.My mother.Raised a Catholic.My dad.Accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior and God.As an adult.MY mothers mother left Germany as a youth before the nazis started their [censored].

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 11:09:32 PM »
The Conserved Movement is also dying. Everyone either becomes more religious and becomes Orthodox or sees that most Conserative Jews don't follow what the movement teaches so becomes Deform.

i think i may become one of those conserved jews that will, Gd willing, become more "traditional"
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »
The Conserved Movement is also dying. Everyone either becomes more religious and becomes Orthodox or sees that most Conserative Jews don't follow what the movement teaches so becomes Deform.

Certainly. The problem overall is that youth reject the idea of a G-d who is all powerful, but to whom the laws of the Torah are unimportant. Either all of the Torah is holy or none is holy and that is the problem with those who compromise on their Judaism.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »
conserved sephardic jew

You think you're Conserved. Sfardic and Conserved is an oxymoron. The Non-Orthodox movements are Ashkenazic inventions.

ok let me put it to you this way...born sephardic...was raised in a conserved synogogue...in fact a lot of persian Jews have gone that route especially in Roslyn, NY

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »
We are who we are!
Jude

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »
Are you from Roslyn? Is that in Long Island?

actually i'm from northern NJ..

but when i was growing up, there were no sephardic temples near us and we definately hated anything reform or reconstructed (if it existed)..so we basically ended up goign to temples that were traditional in nature, but non-orthodox...

As our family has evolved religiously and traditionally, we know what we appreciate and what we hate. I know that we are dismayed by our current temple and our rabbi. OUr previous one was a great speaker, but a nutty liberal..and the new one they replaced him is just as nutty...and we all know it.

As far as Roslyn is concerned. I know of a conserved synogogue that the vast majority of the congregants there are also Persian yet traditional.

In LA, there is a conserved synogogue called Temple Sinai...The vast majority there are Persian Jews.

Whether you might agree or disagree, there are certain traditional aspects of the conserved movement which mimicks what many Persian Jews are used to from their sephardic teaching from their parents.  Likewise, a lot of us like sitting together in the temple and to not be separated.  A lot of us are not into being strictly observant either.

However, we have to start somewhere and I know us Persian Jews prefer religiosity over secularism...However, we dont' believe in blind religiosity...What matters to many of us the most is family and education and treating our neighbors well...all the rest is commentary.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 11:50:08 PM »
We can be no more than who we are.Some hate me for accepting God Jesus Christ as my Lord.Thats fine ,but ye are closed minded!Do I disrespect you,no.We worship the same God!!!!

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 04:50:48 AM »
My religion? well a bit confused...... I was raised as a Catholic, though I was pagan in my heart. I became interested in Judaism in my teens and studied Torah alone for years. So my ideas were similar to Samaritans and Karaites ( since I had only the written Torah available). I started conversion to Judaism at 27, but never finished. Now, perhaps Noahide, since I try to do the Seven Mitzvot, but not a pure one. A bit Christian, and also a bit Samaritan since I believe in Guerizim. Anyway I believe Hashem created the world. Do you think it is wrong not to have a well defined religion? After all we are all humans.