Author Topic: Converting a Jew to Judaism???????  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Converting a Jew to Judaism???????
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »
My Hebrew teacher has been so generous as to give me a minute each friday to say something about the Jewish people and/or the State of Israel. My classmates have been less then receptive and have accused me of trying to "convert" them. I am still baffled by this as I don't understand how one could convert a Jew to Judaism.
Anyone care to explain?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Eugene

• Junior JTFer
  • EUGENE
Re: Converting a Jew to Judaism???????
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:38:35 PM »
Meaning to Brain Wash them
8-) shalom

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:58:52 PM »
are you suggesting that all right-wing religious Jews are brainwashed?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »

Maybe I can shed some light...i got the same response by my group that went to Israel with me this summer. The only thing was that the majority of Jews on my trip were very secular and out of touch with Judaism...and our group leaders and rabbis who were religious Jews and great people told great stories and showed us wonderful things about Judaism like your Hebrew teacher..and i remember my room mates one night said, "hehe, they're trying to indoctrinate us.." and i responded in jest, "too late for me...i have already been indoctrinated."  Fortunately, everyone shared a great experience from this trip and the vast majority have continued to take classes Monday nights with these Rabbis to learn...and the nice thing about it is that it's not Haredi stuff...but simple stuff on how we should treat each other properly...in order to be a good Jew you need to be a better human being first.!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »
but simple stuff on how we should treat each other properly...in order to be a good Jew you need to be a better human being first.!

I think that is the precise reason that so many Jews leave Judaism. If what matters is being a good person then what does Judaism add? A good person believes that war is terrible and pointless and the source of many wars today is religion so what bearing does religion have on modern day life?
In order to be a good Jew one must believe in G-d, know that Torah is from the Heavens, and follow the mitzvot and not just the ones that agree with being a "good person"
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »
Not that complicated O0!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »
but simple stuff on how we should treat each other properly...in order to be a good Jew you need to be a better human being first.!

I think that is the precise reason that so many Jews leave Judaism. If what matters is being a good person then what does Judaism add? A good person believes that war is terrible and pointless and the source of many wars today is religion so what bearing does religion have on modern day life?
In order to be a good Jew one must believe in G-d, know that Torah is from the Heavens, and follow the mitzvot and not just the ones that agree with being a "good person"

Believe me, in today's world, not many people are golden...Judaism does stress all of those things you mentioned above...but you can have a mean evil observant person and a righteous secular person (somehow)... My point is, More secular Jews ar eturned off by "Thou shalt not do this and do that" rules...believe me, when I hear Bible thumping by fellow religious Jews on this forum, I get really really really really turned off...I don't want to be told how to live if the restrictions go way beyond my logic...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »

Believe me, in today's world, not many people are golden...Judaism does stress all of those things you mentioned above...but you can have a mean evil observant person and a righteous secular person (somehow)... My point is, More secular Jews ar eturned off by "Thou shalt not do this and do that" rules...believe me, when I hear Bible thumping by fellow religious Jews on this forum, I get really really really really turned off...I don't want to be told how to live if the restrictions go way beyond my logic...
I can't begin to understand your logic. How do G-d's commandments get outdated? How does G-d get outdated? G-d is, was and forever will be. G-d doesn't adapt to modern culture, there is no "flavor of the century" for G-d. The rules are there because G-d commanded us to follow them in order to be his Chosen people and be elevated to this task. We can't pick and choose Mitzvot, either take it all or admit that you really aren't taking any since your just following Mitzvot that by chance happen to agree with your beliefs already.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
We all know the rules!
wayne

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »

I can't begin to understand your logic. How do G-d's commandments get outdated? How does G-d get outdated? G-d is, was and forever will be. G-d doesn't adapt to modern culture, there is no "flavor of the century" for G-d. The rules are there because G-d commanded us to follow them in order to be his Chosen people and be elevated to this task. We can't pick and choose Mitzvot, either take it all or admit that you really aren't taking any since your just following Mitzvot that by chance happen to agree with your beliefs already.

My friend, I never said that Gd's commandments are outdated...however, our interpretations of His commandments might be...We have Haredi wearing fur hats and big black coats in the middle of summer...Fine by me if it is their tradition...but it's not practical to me..and perhaps to you...and i'm simply stating an extreme example..

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »

My friend, I never said that Gd's commandments are outdated...however, our interpretations of His commandments might be...We have Haredi wearing fur hats and big black coats in the middle of summer...Fine by me if it is their tradition...but it's not practical to me..and perhaps to you...and i'm simply stating an extreme example..
first of all there is no commandment to where a black coat in the Torah, just because some religious do doesn't mean it is a Mitzvah. I don't get what your saying about our interpretations. Truth doesn't change. Torah doesn't change and what Torah means has never and will never change. Practicality is for those who lack identity. Those that dont know who ther are go for practicality and do what is "reasonable" and "logical" to them. We know what we are supposed to do and we don't need false logic to prove us right. There is a G-d and G-d has laid out for us exactly what to do and that is what we must do.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
Doing mitzvot just becuase they seem logical, is like not doing mitzvot at all. By the way you said it, you are hinting to the fact that you want to do what you fell like doing and not exactly what is the right thing to do. Anyway no one suggested wearing a black hat or anything like that, their has allways been stated halahic Laws, if you have a problem with that, then your issues are with G-d's laws and not what you claim to be Haredi tradition. Things like wearing fur hats, etc. okay is Haredi tradition, Observing the Shabb- aht is LAW, not tradition, Kashrut is law, etc. etc. etc.

You are Sefardi right?
 go to http://dailyhalacha.com/ - their you will find laws. Learn them one at a time.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
Doing mitzvot just becuase they seem logical, is like not doing mitzvot at all. By the way you said it, you are hinting to the fact that you want to do what you fell like doing and not exactly what is the right thing to do. Anyway no one suggested wearing a black hat or anything like that, their has allways been stated halahic Laws, if you have a problem with that, then your issues are with G-d's laws and not what you claim to be Haredi tradition. Things like wearing fur hats, etc. okay is Haredi tradition, Observing the Shabb- aht is LAW, not tradition, Kashrut is law, etc. etc. etc.

You are Sefardi right?
 go to http://dailyhalacha.com/ - their you will find laws. Learn them one at a time.
me or danny Haugia?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »

first of all there is no commandment to where a black coat in the Torah, just because some religious do doesn't mean it is a Mitzvah. I don't get what your saying about our interpretations. Truth doesn't change. Torah doesn't change and what Torah means has never and will never change. Practicality is for those who lack identity. Those that dont know who ther are go for practicality and do what is "reasonable" and "logical" to them. We know what we are supposed to do and we don't need false logic to prove us right. There is a G-d and G-d has laid out for us exactly what to do and that is what we must do.

But who says you have the authority of understanding what Gd exactly means?  Of course, the words are there.  It's what the word means to each individual...And furthermore..what did those words mean in 300 BCE versus 1971 CE versus 2165 CE?  Times change..Torah never changes...Torah is timeless...we are saying the same thing.  But how I mgiht interpret Torah today will be different a 1000 years from now, Gd willing.  I'm not talking about chanign the rules. I'm talking about how we read and understand the rules to be.  Some interpret certain mitzvot based on the tradition of their rebbi from 1100 CE...that's fine if one wants to live in the way Jews did in 1100 CE with certain traditions.

Now...on the opposite end...a lot of the liberal movements progress too quickly...we see crises of femenism taking place...and eventually openly homosexual "rabbis"...

My point here is that times change...Torah never changes...however, interpretations of what Gd might be trying to say does change.  It requires thoughful Rabbis to examine these texts in today's time...and these Rabbis must be wise not only with the text..but with the real secular world out there at the same time.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »

But who says you have the authority of understanding what Gd exactly means?  Of course, the words are there.  It's what the word means to each individual...And furthermore..what did those words mean in 300 BCE versus 1971 CE versus 2165 CE?  Times change..Torah never changes...Torah is timeless...we are saying the same thing.  But how I mgiht interpret Torah today will be different a 1000 years from now, Gd willing.  I'm not talking about chanign the rules. I'm talking about how we read and understand the rules to be.  Some interpret certain mitzvot based on the tradition of their rebbi from 1100 CE...that's fine if one wants to live in the way Jews did in 1100 CE with certain traditions.

Now...on the opposite end...a lot of the liberal movements progress too quickly...we see crises of femenism taking place...and eventually openly homosexual "rabbis"...

My point here is that times change...Torah never changes...however, interpretations of what Gd might be trying to say does change.  It requires thoughful Rabbis to examine these texts in today's time...and these Rabbis must be wise not only with the text..but with the real secular world out there at the same time.
Some things are about interpretation but some are basic. If it says "Thou shalt not murder" little interpretation is needed. If you want to interpret the complex verses thats fine, but many commandments are quite literal
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »

You are Sefardi right?

I dont' think you are understanding me..perhaps i'm not explaining myself properly.  I'm giong around telling observant Jews to stop being observant...Gd forbid!  What i'm trying to say from a less observant point of view is that all these fences are too much right now to absorb...a little bit at a time...and it should start with ourselves within and to those who we surrounded and live with day by day.  In order to be a good shomer shabbat shomer kashrut Jew, in my opinion, it shoudl first begin wtih being a righteous person to others and oneself..and little by little you take it to the next step wtih other halakhot...I go with the school of learning of "loving thy neighbor" first and then learning the rest of the stuff later...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »

Some things are about interpretation but some are basic. If it says "Thou shalt not murder" little interpretation is needed. If you want to interpret the complex verses thats fine, but many commandments are quite literal

But by literal you must mean logical...but many laws aren't just there to make sense..am I right?  Thou shalt murder expands to a million other things which have occurred in the past but have been forgotten today...as well as what may happen tomorrow or the next 1000 years...

Therefore, we never abondon learning Torah, Gd forbid...we die for Gd if we are threatened with our lives if we are punished for teaching it and reading it, Gd forbid we be put in that situation.

(I know you are shaking your head, "he agrees with me, but why does he keep fighting me?")

Offline Eugene

• Junior JTFer
  • EUGENE
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 12:38:28 AM »

In some way yes but maybe it's good who knows.
8-) shalom

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »

In some way yes but maybe it's good who knows.

Like Rabbi Haimov said- the Rabbis brain-wash you. When you come to them they wash your brain from all the outside influence and non-sense.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »

But by literal you must mean logical...but many laws aren't just there to make sense..am I right?  Thou shalt murder expands to a million other things which have occurred in the past but have been forgotten today...as well as what may happen tomorrow or the next 1000 years...

Therefore, we never abondon learning Torah, Gd forbid...we die for Gd if we are threatened with our lives if we are punished for teaching it and reading it, Gd forbid we be put in that situation.

(I know you are shaking your head, "he agrees with me, but why does he keep fighting me?")
It is not a matter of logical. It is just what is written. Indeed there are many laws that are not from the Torah, but the Rabbi's justify these laws because it says "you shall make a fence around Torah", the idea is that we make a fence around Torah so that we never ever violate a law actually written in Torah
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Israeli Mouse

• Full JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »
Just to make a completely irrelevant point and just to state a fact; you can actually truly convert a jew to Judaism. You see for instance with the Ethiopian Jews, they didn't get divorced properly and if a woman remarried and had a child with another man the child was considered a Momzer. Now a Momzer can not marry people who were born Jewish unless they are Momzers as well I think... They can only marry converts and other Momzers I am pretty sure... Well ether way when they moved to Israel the Rabbis created doubt that they were truly Jewish, so this way just in case of them being Momzers they would be able to have a chance and they all had to convert so this way their would be no problems with them marring anyone.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:32:30 AM by Israeli Mouse »
"Let us not suffer from a national amnesia that causes us to forget who and what we are."

-  Rav Kahane zt''l

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 06:19:08 PM »
Just to make a completely irrelevant point and just to state a fact; you can actually truly convert a jew to Judaism. You see for instance with the Ethiopian Jews, they didn't get divorced properly and if a woman remarried and had a child with another man the child was considered a Momzer. Now a Momzer can not marry people who were born Jewish unless they are Momzers as well I think... They can only marry converts and other Momzers I am pretty sure... Well ether way when they moved to Israel the Rabbis created doubt that they were truly Jewish, so this way just in case of them being Momzers they would be able to have a chance and they all had to convert so this way their would be no problems with them marring anyone.
but then the children weren't fully Jewish
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »

No, just that left-wing secular Jews have tons of schmutz in their brains  :::D

Offline Israeli Mouse

• Full JTFer
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

Lol of course they are fully Jewish, just because someone is a Momzer doesn't make them any less Jewish then any other Jew. The created doubt saying that since we were separated from them for so long that maybe maybe some or most or something are not really Jewish. In creating this doubt gave the Rabbis a chance to convert all of them so this way they wont be considered Momzers anymore and will be able to marry any Jew.
"Let us not suffer from a national amnesia that causes us to forget who and what we are."

-  Rav Kahane zt''l

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »

Lol of course they are fully Jewish, just because someone is a Momzer doesn't make them any less Jewish then any other Jew. The created doubt saying that since we were separated from them for so long that maybe maybe some or most or something are not really Jewish. In creating this doubt gave the Rabbis a chance to convert all of them so this way they wont be considered Momzers anymore and will be able to marry any Jew.
I suppose in that sense they could be considered as such,
KAHANE TZADAK!