Poll

Is circumcision a cruel and unimportant practice?

yes
1 (3.7%)
no
25 (92.6%)
undecided
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Circumcision  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
Circumcision
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
Circumcision is one of the covenantial mitzvot, along with Shabbat and Tefillin.  But just as many jews do not don tefillin or observe Shabbat, do you believe that circumcision has lost it's importance in the modern age as well?

Some people argue that cirucumcision is cruel practice that should not be imposed upon children who are too young to make decisions for themselves.

kellymaureen

Re: Circumcision
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »
Some people argue that cirucumcision is cruel practice that should not be imposed upon children who are too young to make decisions for themselves.

People who say that are ridiculous, my son was circumcised right after he was born, he doesnt remember the proceedure and has no issues or fears or ill effects. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:45:34 AM by kellymaureen »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »
and it can prevent AIDS.yes it s true

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
Excuse me sir, but who are YOU to tell me how I'm supposed to think?  Besides, I'm only posing a question in order to initiate a discussion.  In this week's Torah portion, Abraham is given the covenant and the mitzvot of circumcision.

Is there some reason you would want to discredit my conversion Yacov?

Circumcision is one of the covenantial mitzvot, along with Shabbat and Tefillin.  But just as many jews do not don tefillin or observe Shabbat, do you believe that circumcision has lost it's importance in the modern age as well?

What kind of convert are you if you say that? You talk more like a self-hating Jew than a convert.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
please explain  ???
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
Sure it prevents[sometimes AIDS]So the world community is trying to teach that to Africans ,who see it as a shame. :)

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »

How on earth can it prevent aids ?
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 01:59:26 PM »
Im not sure,but Im not making this up.Do the research.But ,not to say we cant catch AIDS but less likely :) to.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »
Im not sure,but Im not making this up.Do the research.But ,not to say we cant catch AIDS but less likely :) to.
It seems there is some validity to what ChristianWhiteNation.name says
 O0
I had never heard that before.  8;)

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 09:18:18 PM »
How can we tolerate and have such a disgusting question even posed?

Can I make a pole asking - Should murder be permissible? or rape tolerated?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 09:20:47 PM »
I Would never lie to anyone!yes scientists say so .It is less prone to keeping germs alive.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

How on earth can it prevent aids ?

NOT TRUE.
I'm sorry, but in medical school all the years of research that have been done this  has not been proven!

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 09:23:50 PM »
However, I could be part of the establishment...LOL  ;D

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 09:25:42 PM »
Very recent! It is a matter of cleanliness!

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
How can we tolerate and have such a disgusting question even posed?

Can I make a pole asking - Should murder be permissible? or rape tolerated?

What's disgusting about it?  There are real people, both Jews and Gentiles, who are against circumcision. 

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/lifecycle/Ceremonies_For_Newborns/Overview_Contemporary_Issues/The_Circumcision_Debate.htm

By the way, I am NOT opposed to circumcision.   I'm a convert, remember??

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »
This poll is very disrespectful of G-d's commandment and sign of His eternal covenant with the Jewish people.

This is not even a question that needs to be asked on a Torah forum. G-d is eternal and so are his commandments. They are never "outdated". The results are in already and the poll is now locked.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 02:57:36 AM »
I actually know of a case of someone having an severe infection after and uiltimatley had everything removed. 
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 04:41:19 AM »

What's disgusting about it?  There are real people, both Jews and Gentiles, who are against circumcision. 

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/lifecycle/Ceremonies_For_Newborns/Overview_Contemporary_Issues/The_Circumcision_Debate.htm

Kananga, please don't post that site in the Torah section.
Here are some of it's 'major partners':
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/links/lindex/majorpartners.htm
Central Conference of American Rabbis
Official site of the rabbinical arm of the Reform Movement
The Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association
Official site of the rabbinical arm of the Reconstructionist Movement
Society for Humanistic Judaism
A Jewish movement than embraces a historical, cultural context that imparts significance and value to Jewish identity
USCJ United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
Official site of for the lay arm of the Conservative Movement

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 04:44:20 AM »

Kananga, please don't post that site in the Torah section.
Here are some of it's 'major partners':
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/links/lindex/majorpartners.htm
Central Conference of American Rabbis
Official site of the rabbinical arm of the Reform Movement
The Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association
Official site of the rabbinical arm of the Reconstructionist Movement
Society for Humanistic Judaism
A Jewish movement than embraces a historical, cultural context that imparts significance and value to Jewish identity
USCJ United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
Official site of for the lay arm of the Conservative Movement

Also look at these links:
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/links/lindex/glbt.htm

newman

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 05:11:29 AM »
Religious issues for Jews aside, male circumcision is a very good idea to say the least!

My paternal great grandfather was a Norwegian protestant who moved to the Pacific Islands. My maternal great grandfather was an Aussie Catholic army officer. ALL their children were circumcised.

In hot, humid countries it is just plain stupid NOT to circumcise male children. In WW2 in New Guinnea, Aussie troops were lined up outside to MO's tent for circumcision due to the excrusiating discomfort of an uncircumcised willy in the tropics. (The Army normally does NOT perform elective surgury.....circumcision was the exception!).

Yes....I know proper hygeine can eleviate most problems but why the high maintainance if there is an alternative.

Secondly.....women HATE the sight of uncircumcised willies. Imagine the trauma and embarressment a young man could suffer if his new girlfriend or bride was to say...."EWWW! YUK!!!! Put that ugly thing away and never take it out again!"

Circumcision is ALL positive. There are NO drawbacks.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 02:36:10 AM »
I'm cut.. wouldn't have it any other way  O0

newman

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 04:12:00 AM »
Religious issues for Jews aside, male circumcision is a very good idea to say the least!

My paternal great grandfather was a Norwegian protestant who moved to the Pacific Islands. My maternal great grandfather was an Aussie Catholic army officer. ALL their children were circumcised.

In hot, humid countries it is just plain stupid NOT to circumcise male children. In WW2 in New Guinnea, Aussie troops were lined up outside to MO's tent for circumcision due to the excrusiating discomfort of an uncircumcised willy in the tropics. (The Army normally does NOT perform elective surgury.....circumcision was the exception!).

Yes....I know proper hygeine can eleviate most problems but why the high maintainance if there is an alternative.

Secondly.....women HATE the sight of uncircumcised willies. Imagine the trauma and embarressment a young man could suffer if his new girlfriend or bride was to say...."EWWW! YUK!!!! Put that ugly thing away and never take it out again!"

Circumcision is ALL positive. There are NO drawbacks.

So are you circumcised?

Yes (Thank G_d).

It was one of the few decent things my parents did for me. Apart from not having to look at an ugly (uncircumcised) carrot in the shower, I'm eternally grateful that they circumcised me for the 7 months of the year in Brisbane when the heat and humidity are unbearable.

We Aussies bath twice a day and un-cut willies are nasty just the same. Imagine all those englishmen with their discusting un-cut ones when they only bathe once a week!!! YUK!!!!!!!!!! :o

Offline Gruzinit

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 11:56:52 PM »
:::D Newman! I'm cracking up over here!

Since you were originally desert people, it also helped. I doubt our ancestors would want sand trapped down there. ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:58:04 AM by Gruzinit »
The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money. – Alexis de Tocqueville

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. - Will Rogers

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »
It is healthy for boys when they grow up to be men. And when it is done you what a day or 2 old you don't remember it.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 12:03:15 AM »
I don't know why people are getting pissed at this topic.  It was presented as a question to spark a discussion, no opinion on the matter was even initially presented. 

I got circumcised later in life and it was the best decision I ever made.  I fulfilled the ancient covenant of my ancestors and am at less risk for various health problems.  Not to mention having an uncircumcised schmekel is absolutely disgusting.