Author Topic: Want to live to be 800 years old?  (Read 4966 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Want to live to be 800 years old?
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
http://io9.com/345728/geneticists-discover-a-way-to-extend-lifespans-to-800-years

Geneticists Discover a Way to Extend Lifespans to 800 Years

yeast.jpg There is now a way to extend the lifespan of organisms so that humans could conceivably live to be 800 years old. In an amazing development, scientists at the University of Southern California have announced that they've extended the lifespan of yeast bacteria tenfold -- and the recipe they used to do it might easily translate into humans. It involves tinkering with two genes, and cutting down your calorie intake. Tests have already started on people in Ecuador.

According to an announcement from PLoS Genetics:

Researchers have created baker's yeast capable of living to 800 in yeast years without apparent side effects. The basic but important discovery, achieved through a combination of dietary and genetic changes, brings scientists closer to controlling the survival and health of the unit of all living systems: the cell. "We're setting the foundation for reprogramming healthy life," says study leader Valter Longo of the University of Southern California.

Longo's group put baker's yeast on a calorie-restricted diet and knocked out two genes - RAS2 and SCH9 - that promote aging in yeast and cancer in humans.

"We got a 10-fold life span extension that is, I think, the longest one that has ever been achieved in any organism," Longo says. Normal yeast organisms live about a week.

"I would say 10-fold is pretty significant," says Anna McCormick, chief of the genetics and cell biology branch at the National Institute on Aging (NIA) and Longo's program officer. The NIA funds such research in the hope of extending healthy life span in humans through the development of drugs that mimic the life-prolonging techniques used by Longo and others, McCormick adds.

Baker's yeast is one of the most studied and best understood organisms at the molecular and genetic level. Remarkably, in light of its simplicity, yeast has led to the discovery of some of the most important genes and pathways regulating aging and disease in mice and other mammals.

Longo's group next plans to further investigate life span extension in mice. The group is already studying a human population in Ecuador with mutations analogous to those described in yeast.

"People with two copies of the mutations have very small stature and other defects," Longo says. "We are now identifying the relatives with only one copy of the mutation, who are apparently normal. We hope that they will show a reduced incidence of diseases and an extended life span."

Longo cautions that, as in the Ecuador case, longevity mutations tend to come with severe growth deficits and other health problems. Finding drugs to extend the human life span without side effects will not be easy.

I've always been a skeptic when it comes to life-extending research, but this has me rethinking my position.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Want to live to be 800 years old?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »
 ???

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
Moshiach will be here long before 800 years is up... :)

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
You mean that now I'm going to have to make Estimated Quarterly Payments to the IRS for 750 more years?   >:(   :(

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 01:52:46 AM »
What   :o , 800 years really that would make you a 60x great-grandfather or something if you had children ;D

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:37:14 AM »
Nooo thank you, I am not planning on living pasted 65  ::)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »

I hope that is a joke.

Thank you Cohen for this article, i brought it up in class today and we spent the whole lesson discussing genetic engineering instead of just reading like we always do. O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »

I hope that is a joke.

Thank you Cohen for this article, i brought it up in class today and we spent the whole lesson discussing genetic engineering instead of just reading like we always do. O0

Nope 65 is it, I prefer not to live longer than that.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:53:39 PM »

I hope that is a joke.

Nope 65 is it, I prefer not to live longer than that.
Why? ???

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
Because my family don't normally live past 65

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »

That doesn't determine when you're going to die and why would you prefer to live a shorter life?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »
A 100 plus or minus a few years would be just fine. ;) I think 800 years would just be to much. The way the world is changing for the worse by the day  it would become unbearable to live through all that change. :-\
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »
A 100 plus or minus a few years would be just fine. ;) I think 800 years would just be to much. The way the world is changing for the worse by the day  it would become unbearable to live through all that change. :-\

Not to mention the increase in population that this would amount to, if people could have enough time to have 20 or more children, there wouldn't be enough space left on earth. ;D

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 06:11:07 PM »

That doesn't determine when you're going to die and why would you prefer to live a shorter life?

Haha yes it does Sarah

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »

Not to mention the increase in population that this would amount to, if people could have enough time to have 20 or more children, there wouldn't be enough space left on earth. ;D
Yes thats very true. They are starting to come to the conclusion that peoples lifespans are getting to long already. Years ago people would retire at 62 and be dead before 70. Today they go on for years collecting old age retirement and health benefit's. The government is already starting to complain that its costing them to much money. They would start sending hit men out after anyone older than 150 to cut down expenses. ;)
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
I'm conflicted on this.  Sometimes I would like to live a long life and sometimes I look forward to going to a better place. O0

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »
800 years  :o
I would like to live long enough to see my child get married and have children.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »
Imagine the prices in 800 years.  Movie ticket?  That'll be a grand.  Enjoy the show. :::D

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 10:20:43 PM »

Not only that but all your friends, family and relatives on you would be dying, you'd be going to perhaps your 30x-great-grandson's funeral if you had kids, and everyone would be dying on you. Also, more iSSlamic terrorism etc.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
Imagine the prices in 800 years.  Movie ticket?  That'll be a grand.  Enjoy the show. :::D

You think there will be movies then?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 10:25:54 AM »

You think there will be movies then?

However advanced they may be or in whatever form of entertainment, they'd have to be at least 10hours long, each, to take up time. :)

newman

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
The great thing about living to 800 is you would make HUGE $$$$$ in compound interest. :D

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »
800 would be 700 too much for me. ;D

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 02:49:55 AM »
The great thing about living to 800 is you would make HUGE $$$$$ in compound interest. :D

i love your thinking Newman!!! :D

Skippy, please do not think of such things. If you think like that, you will be surprised how easilly your brain would just tell your body to die! If you THINK like that, then it will happen. But if you think and aim for 90, you WILL achieve it with exception to outside forces. Do not underestimate yourself.

Skippy, have you considered seeing a Rabbi or Pastor about it? It may be a curse set on your bloodline, but with the Power of Almighty G-D, it's VERY easy to brake that chain!

newman

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 02:58:04 AM »

i love your thinking Newman!!! :D

Why do you think vampires in the movies are always rich?

Being 500 years old the 2 gold pieces they put in the Transylvania First National Savings Bank when they were alive at age 25 turned into a squillion over 400+ years.