Author Topic: How many years can you shave off of working if you don't have children?  (Read 5108 times)

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
How many years can you shave off of a working career if you dont have kids.  My dad paid for college, camp and everything else, for my brothers and myself.   If I had kids I would do the same. 

Assuming that, I would venture to say each child costs about 10 full time working years, when you factor in college, cars, camp, health insurance and everything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just posting an economics question.  Don't get all high, mighty and hateful if you disagree.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Yes, kids are a major expense, no doubt about it, unless you go the welfare route, like some people I would never dare speak of, LOL.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Shadow, as much as I am in favor of adopting-only and want no bio kids, these threads will only divide us and antagonize fellow members. Please stop this.

newman

A college educated or trade trained couple with two incomes & no kids could achieve complete financial independence in under 20 years if they prioratise. The same couple with kids will still be in debt before 20 years is up.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Guys, I really do not think this is productive. You are basically insulting everyone here who wants biological children. I don't, but am not anti-procreation either. This is pointless.

newman

Guys, I really do not think this is productive. You are basically insulting everyone here who wants biological children. I don't, but am not anti-procreation either. This is pointless.
No we're not. You're making a presumption. Talking about the financial saving of running a compact car instead of an SUV is NOT insulting SUV drivers.

This is just putting the real cost of children into perspective.

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
A college educated or trade trained couple with two incomes & no kids could achieve complete financial independence in under 20 years if they prioratise. The same couple with kids will still be in debt before 20 years is up.

Newman, I entirely agree with you as usual.  I think it could reach 20 years as well.  There is actually a book that came out called the dual income trap, that explains that 2 incomes are not enough today to raise a family and buy a house in a decent area in the suburbs.

I don't ever want to fall into this trap.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
You're not doing it in a very diplomatic way, though.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
I think that having an amount of children that you could raise in comfort is the proper way. I know their will be people that disagree with me on this but I get very upset during my few trips over to boro park because I see many of the parents who have large families don't properly take care of their children for many different reason. Of course I am not saying everyone is like this, but it's unfortunately not uncommon. I expect some people to disagree with me and thats fine.
I am urinating on a Koran.

newman

Newman, I entirely agree with you as usual.  I think it could reach 20 years as well.  There is actually a book that came out called the dual income trap, that explains that 2 incomes are not enough today to raise a family and buy a house in a decent area in the suburbs.

I don't ever want to fall into this trap.

20+ years ago kids were calculated at 100K each when taking all costs plus interest, dividend income & capital gains lost through opportunity cost. I bet it's 200K a piece in today's money!

Give most people a choice of;

(a) small house, regular car, little retirement saving with kids OR,

(b) large house, summer home, SUV and early retirement and NO kids..

It's a no-brainer.

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
Re: How many years can you shave off of working if you don't have children?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »
Newman, you always make excellent points, you even supported it with numbers.   I would like to another variable to your statistic.  A single person, or couple without children doesn't require a large house.  A nice sized condominium would suffice extremely well.  In addition , the condominium can be purchased in an area that doesn't require a great school system- with a large school tax base.  In other words, this couple or single male, would be able to save an extraudinary amount of money  by avoiding the purchase of a larger house, and in area that has high taxation for a good school systems- which you would otherwise need if you had a child.  I just read this view point in a book I purchased on line- whcih couldn't be more on the money.  No pun intended

newman

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 01:44:16 AM »
Newman, you always make excellent points, you even supported it with numbers.   I would like to another variable to your statistic.  A single person, or couple without children doesn't require a large house.  A nice sized condominium would suffice extremely well.  In addition , the condominium can be purchased in an area that doesn't require a great school system- with a large school tax base.  In other words, this couple or single male, would be able to save an extraudinary amount of money  by avoiding the purchase of a larger house, and in area that has high taxation for a good school systems- which you would otherwise need if you had a child.  I just read this view point in a book I purchased on line- whcih couldn't be more on the money.  No pun intended
Smaller house, not near good school system, lower payments, less elecricity, washing machine lasts longer from less loads, investment products bought sooner accumulate more interest/dividends/capital gain. Smaller car required, too.

School fees, new clothes every 12 months, lunch money................boy I bet it adds up.

I'd like to see an actuary crunch the real numbers for 2008 at present real estate & other costs.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 01:44:40 AM »
Geesh C.F.   Im a father of two, and Im not offended.  THIS is not the kind of topic that would split us.  For those types of topics... look at one of Nikmatdams post.

Kids are expensive... no doubt about it.  However, for me,... from a cost benefit analysis.. Its not even close.  They are well worth the $200,000 a piece or whatever it costs.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »
In a perfect world having 3 or 4 kids would not be a problem.  However, in today's society the fact remains that it no doubt poses a significant financial burden unless you are already very well to do or plan to live off of the government, or at the very least do without many of life's amenities.  I can't see how it wouldn't be a burden in all frankness, but G-d bless the people who are willing to try and do it of course.

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 02:07:51 AM »
Ari my friend, it's financial disaster today.  I know many people in their late 50's and early 60's who can't retire because they are paying off college notes for their children.  It's ubelievable!  I just don't want to get involved in all that.

newman

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 02:11:28 AM »
Geesh C.F.   Im a father of two, and Im not offended.  THIS is not the kind of topic that would split us.  For those types of topics... look at one of Nikmatdams post.

Kids are expensive... no doubt about it.  However, for me,... from a cost benefit analysis.. Its not even close.  They are well worth the $200,000 a piece or whatever it costs.
Still...................................

$200K would buy a real nice boat AND a Winnebago. The other $200K would get some nice retreat land in Wyoming or Idaho, too. :(

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 02:16:28 AM »

$200K would buy a real nice boat AND a Winnebago. The other $200K would get some nice retreat land in Wyoming or Idaho, too. :(

Its not for everyone.  Idaho or Wyoming?  Hmmm. maybe we'll move out there if Obama gets elected.  At least until he infests it with refugees from Africa.

newman

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 02:20:19 AM »

Its not for everyone.  Idaho or Wyoming?  Hmmm. maybe we'll move out there if Obama gets elected.  At least until he infests it with refugees from Africa.

Idahoe & Wyoming are remarkably free of apes & beaners. They don't do well in the climate. Plus Republicans outnumber democats 2:1. Even then, democrats in WY or ID are more right-wing than NY Republicans.

There's begger-all welfare & public housing there so there's no lure for turd worlders.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 02:30:29 AM »

Idahoe & Wyoming are remarkably free of apes & beaners. They don't do well in the climate. Plus Republicans outnumber democats 2:1. Even then, democrats in WY or ID are more right-wing than NY Republicans.

There's begger-all welfare & public housing there so there's no lure for turd worlders.

Yeahh. Id like to move outa So Cali.  Its basically become a refugee state.  EVERYONE.. is either illegal.. or their parents are illegals.  But the weather is so dang nice.

newman

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 02:33:31 AM »

Yeahh. Id like to move outa So Cali.  Its basically become a refugee state.  EVERYONE.. is either illegal.. or their parents are illegals.  But the weather is so dang nice.

I'll take a 'white christmas' over turd worlders in the sun.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 07:48:45 AM »
Quote from: The Shadow link=topic=19009.msg#msg date=
How many years can you shave off of a working career if you dont have kids.

The answer is 0.  You would just spend the money on other things.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
The cost of college for only one child keeps me up late at night...sometimes in a cold sweat.
God Bless those who have to do it for more then one.

Still I would not give up being a parent for all the security it might afford me not to be one.  I'll just have to work until I die.  ;)

I don't think this is a devisive issue either C.F..
To each his own in life.  Not everyone has the desire to raise children.
Sometimes it just doesn't work out, in life, for whatever reason.
I always wanted to have more then one...and I don't.  :'(

I think it is great that you want to adopt children.
I admire you every time I read that.
Adoption is wonderful.  I think about it all the time.
It is also an expensive proposition though.  I know many people who have adopted.  It usually has cost them plenty...but feel it was well worth it.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

newman

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »
The cost of college for only one child keeps me up late at night...sometimes in a cold sweat.
Bullcat Jr is worth it.
G-d Bless those who have to do it for more then one.

Still I would not give up being a parent for all the security it might afford me not to be one.  I'll just have to work until I die.  ;)

I don't think this is a devisive issue either C.F..
To each his own in life.  Not everyone has the desire to raise children.
Sometimes it just doesn't work out, in life, for whatever reason.
I always wanted to have more then one...and I don't.  :'(

Better the perfect ONE you've got than two average ones.

I think it is great that you want to adopt children.
I admire you every time I read that.
Adoption is wonderful.  I think about it all the time.
It is also an expensive proposition though.  I know many people who have adopted.  It usually has cost them plenty...but feel it was well worth it.
Your child is wonderful. The little monsters that I'd likely sire aren't worth the headache.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »
Thank You Newman...she is a gift from God.  He could have left out the stubborn streak  ;)  but I'll keep her.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

newman

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »
Thank You Newman...she is a gift from G-d.  He could have left out the stubborn streak  ;)  but I'll keep her.
I'll have a kid if you & your husband sell me a frozen egg. :)