Author Topic: Worlds largest aquarium funded by a Jew Bernard Marcus founder of home depot  (Read 2564 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
I am a big fan of nature and ocean life, I thought this was interesting. I am planning to go to the worlds largest aquarium which is in Georgia, and it looks pretty amazing. Apparently the founder of Home Depot (Bernad Marcus) donated over 200 million dollars to the aquarium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Aquarium

The Georgia Aquarium, located in Atlanta, Georgia at Pemberton Place, is billed as the "world's largest aquarium" with more than 8.1 million US gallons (31,000 m³) of marine and fresh water housing more than 100,000 animals of 500 different species. The aquarium's notable specimens include four young whale sharks and three beluga whales.

Funded mostly by a $250 million donation from Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus, the aquarium was built on a 20 acre (81,000 m²) site north of Centennial Olympic Park in downtown Atlanta. Marcus credited his 60th birthday dinner at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in 1990 as among the inspirations behind his desire to build an aquarium in Atlanta.

In November of 2001, Bernard Marcus announced his idea to build an aquarium as a present to Atlanta, Georgia that would encourage both education and economic growth. Marcus and his wife, Billi visited 56 aquariums in 13 countries to research and design a structure and finally, donated $250 million toward Georgia Aquarium’s construction. Due to financial contributions from AirTran Airways, BellSouth, Georgia- Pacific, The Home Depot, Southern Company, Turner Broadcasting System, Time Warner, SunTrust, UPS, and the Coca- Cola Company, the company opened debt free. After 27 months and with 60 animal habitats, 16,400 square feet (1,520 m²) of ball room space, 2 food service kitchens, gift shops, a 4-D theater, an on-site restaurant, and a parking lot, the Georgia Aquarium opened first on November 21, 2005 to annual pass holders and then on November 23, 2005 to the general public. At $26 per adult, $21.50 for Seniors, and $19.50 for Children, the price of admission to the non-profit aquarium is among the most expensive in the country. The aquarium has nevertheless far exceeded visitor expectations, welcoming its 1 millionth guest on March 1, 2006, only ninety-eight days after opening. The aquarium sold over 290,000 annual passes for its first year, before sales were halted (to avoid a "private club" atmosphere, according to Aquarium Executive Director Jeff Swanagan).[1] The Georgia Aquarium welcomed its three millionth guest on August 24, 2006 and its five millionth on May 23, 2007.[2]

Bernard Marcus (born 1929 in Newark, New Jersey) is a co-founder of Home Depot and philanthropist.

He was born to Jewish-Russian immigrant parents in Newark, New Jersey. He grew up in a tenement and wanted to become a doctor. He couldn’t afford the tuition, so he worked for his father as a cabinet maker through Rutgers University to earn a pharmacy degree.

Later, he worked at a drugstore as a pharmacist but became more interested in the business and retailing part of the business. He worked at a cosmetics company and various other retail jobs, eventually reaching a position as a top executive with Handy Dan Improvement Centers, a Los Angeles-based chain of home improvement stores. In 1978, after a disagreement with his boss at Handy Dan, he and Home Depot co-founder Arthur Blank were both fired.

Together, with the help of New York investment banker Ken Langone who assembled a group of investors and business partner Arthur Blank, they launched the highly successful home-improvement retailer, Home Depot, in 1979. The store revolutionized the home improvement business with its warehouse concept and the three became billionaires as a result. He was the company's first CEO for 19 years and served as chairman of the board until his retirement in 2002.

Marcus almost single-handedly funded and launched the new Georgia Aquarium that opened in downtown Atlanta, Georgia in 2005. Based mostly on the US$200M million donation for the Aquarium, Marcus and his wife, Billi, were listed among the top charitable donors in the country by The Chronicle of Philanthropy in 2005.

Bernie Marcus also funded and founded The Marcus Institute, a nationally recognized center of excellence for the provision of comprehensive services for children and adolescents with developmental disabilities. In May 2005, Marcus was awarded the Others Award by the Salvation Army, its highest honor.

Marcus is currently chairman of the Marcus Foundation, whose focuses include children, medical research, free enterprise, Jewish causes and the community. Mr. Marcus was inducted into the Junior Achievement U.S. Business Hall of Fame in 2006.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:24:47 PM by מאיר כהן »

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
Mr Marcus is a great man. When he found out that we had severely injured servicemen coming back from Iraq and the governement was not supplying the level of care required to fully rehabilitate them, he stepped in with his own money to subsidize and pickup where the govt stopped. Shepherd Center is a world class rehabilitation center for recovery from severely debilitating injuries and illnesses. As a Georgia resident I have seen first hand a lot of the work, care and love he has put into this community. You will love the aquarium.

Full story below:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/business/stories/2008/03/10/shepherd_0311.html 
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Mr Marcus is a great man. When he found out that we had severely injured servicemen coming back from Iraq and the governement was not supplying the level of care required to fully rehabilitate them, he stepped in with his own money to subsidize and pickup where the govt stopped. Shepherd Center is a world class rehabilitation center for recovery from severely debilitating injuries and illnesses. As a Georgia resident I have seen first hand a lot of the work, care and love he has put into this community. You will love the aquarium.

Full story below:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/business/stories/2008/03/10/shepherd_0311.html 

Oh wow, that's good then. Yes we're hoping maybe next month to go there, just have to plan. Georgia isn't that far from me since I live in Northwest Florida.

Theres another aquarium I'd like to check out, at Epcot near Disney, they have the living seas aquarium where if you are scuba certified, you can actually swim with the fish/sharks on guided tour through a program called dive quest. It was the largest man-made underwater environment in the world at its completion (since surpassed by the Georgia Aquarium). I doubt they offer anything similar at the Georgia aquarium like Disney where you can do the divequest program, but seeing the fish from behind the glass is still good enough :)

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
Make sure you get tickets/reservations in advance and then confirm the day before. They only allow certain number of visitors in each day and some times they have large tour/school groups go through.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Make sure you get tickets/reservations in advance and then confirm the day before. They only allow certain number of visitors in each day and some times they have large tour/school groups go through.

Ah yes I found their FAQ, reading it now.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/visitUs/faqs.aspx

I sent my mother and her boyfriend some information as they'd be interested in going too.

I wonder if they allow video cameras? They said no flash photography in some areas.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I think that kind of thing would be really fun, but I wouldn't like to be there when it's crowded, which is probably all the time.

The last time I went to the zoo I couldn't even see some of the animals very well because some kids were crowding around the tanks and I got pissed off when some man was punching the glass on a tank to try to get a lizard to move. I don't really hope this, but a throught ran through my mind that I wished he'd punch the glass one too many times on the cobra tanks. I don't really wish that because the cobras might get hurt.  :::D

I wonder if that aquarium has any slow times? I really don't like the sound of screaming children or babies either, especially when I'm trying to relax.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Can you imagine if that glass breaks and all the water come crashing down on the people

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Can you imagine if that glass breaks and all the water come crashing down on the people

Yes, don't give terrorists any ideas

Anyways here is video of the place how it works, pretty cool.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Pretty cool.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Cool.  A whale shark as well. 

I wonder if my aquarium would fit a whale shark?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
They have otters, cool :)

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer

Probably it would, definitely not Tina Nazi Greco, (sorry to bring her up), but she belongs in the Georgia Aquarium swimming with the sharks, though the sharks would probably be horrified.  :::D :::D :::D

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer

Probably it would, definitely not Tina Nazi Greco, (sorry to bring her up), but she belongs in the Georgia Aquarium swimming with the sharks, though the sharks would probably be horrified.  :::D :::D :::D

LOL, actually the sharks and other predators apparently rarely eat the fish let alone humans as they are so used to being hand fed from what I understand. I know in Disney world when they let people swim with the sharks on "nemo and friends" with divequest, there hasn't been one report of a shark attack. They will follow you though.