Author Topic: I need help with my insomnia!  (Read 8950 times)

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
I need help with my insomnia!
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »
For the last 4 years, I have has pretty bad insomnia. Their have been periods where it was better but their are also times when its unbearable. The annoying thing is that its not a physical problem with me, but a psychological one. It started when one night for whatever reason I had trouble falling asleep and ever since then, I get all tense and nervous that I will not be able to sleep. This tension about sleep is what actually creates a state of alertness when I try to sleep. Even though I know what the problem is, I still cannot control it, and my body automatically gets very tensed up as I try to go to sleep. The reason why I am writing about this now is because this problem has forced me to drop my summer classes. Ambien and Lunesta didnt really work for me. I just got restoril which works but its too late to salvage this semester. I dropped my class in time and I wont get a "W" on my transcript.

I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas for me on how to get rid of this insanely annoying problem. I dont want to have to rely on restoril. If someone here has any advice at all for me, I would appreciate it greatly.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: I need help with my insomnia!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
For the last 4 years, I have has pretty bad insomnia. Their have been periods where it was better but their are also times when its unbearable. The annoying thing is that its not a physical problem with me, but a psychological one. It started when one night for whatever reason I had trouble falling asleep and ever since then, I get all tense and nervous that I will not be able to sleep. This tension about sleep is what actually creates a state of alertness when I try to sleep. Even though I know what the problem is, I still cannot control it, and my body automatically gets very tensed up as I try to go to sleep. The reason why I am writing about this now is because this problem has forced me to drop my summer classes. Ambien and Lunesta didnt really work for me. I just got restoril which works but its too late to salvage this semester. I dropped my class in time and I wont get a "W" on my transcript.

I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas for me on how to get rid of this insanely annoying problem. I dont want to have to rely on restoril. If someone here has any advice at all for me, I would appreciate it greatly.

Did you get test done because you might have hyperthyroidism or Wilson's syndrome

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »
First off, do you get enough physical excercise?  It's very good for helping you sleep at night.  

Do you drink coffee or tea?  If so, limit your intake to the morning.  

Are you taking any other medications besides the sleeping pills?  Also I would not rely on the sleeping pills for long.  They're only for temporary use, as they interfere with your REM sleep cycle.  

Do you watch TV in bed or do use your laptop in bed?  If so, stop it at once.  The bed should be only for sleeping (and intimacy if your married).

When you find you're unable to sleep, do you stay in bed tossing and turning?  If so, don't do it.  Get out of bed, and do something else.  Again, your be should be associated only with sleeping (and intimacy if you're married).  

And finally, you need to go to sleep and wake up every day at similar times.  For example if one night you go to bed and 3:00 a.m. and wake up a 11:00 a.m., then another night you try and sleep at 11:00 p.m., then wake up at 7:00 a.m., you'll have problems.  

Anyway, hope that helps.  

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »
Yeah but if you take sleep aid for a while then stop then restart can produce rebound insomnia

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
This also causes it Psychoactive drugs or stimulants, including certain medications, herbs, caffeine, cocaine, ephedrine, amphetamines, methylphenidate, MDMA, methamphetamine and modafinil

And no i am not saying you do drugs

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »
Lisa, my Insomnia is pretty severe so its not just getting back on schedule or some minor fix for me. I do workout regularly so that isnt the problem. My issue is psychological. My body is afraid of sleep. I feel helpless now. And I dont use any stimulants and drink no coffee.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
Lisa, my Insomnia is pretty severe so its not just getting back on schedule or some minor fix for me. I do workout regularly so that isnt the problem. My issue is psychological. My body is afraid of sleep. I feel helpless now. And I dont use any stimulants and drink no coffee.

You have to go to a doctor and get test done

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

Are you having Anxiety attacks? like- oes your body suddenly 'JUMP' just when you are about to fall asleep?
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »

Are you having Anxiety attacks? like- oes your body suddenly 'JUMP' just when you are about to fall asleep?

That happens to me once in a while

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

I only have the anxiety when it comes to sleep. I have no anxiety about anything else. I went to a sleep psychologist but he wasnt able to help me. I may have to go to another one. I know for a fact that my problem is psychological. I dont need any medical tests.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »

I only have the anxiety when it comes to sleep. I have no anxiety about anything else. I went to a sleep psychologist but he wasnt able to help me. I may have to go to another one. I know for a fact that my problem is psychological. I dont need any medical tests.

get test done because you might have hyperthyroidism or Wilson's syndrome

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »

I dont have those things thankfully. I have an isolated insomnia problem. It is purely psychological, I know that for a fact. I need a way to deal with it mentally.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:13:07 PM »

I dont have those things thankfully. I have an isolated insomnia problem. It is purely psychological, I know that for a fact. I need a way to deal with it mentally.

Then you might have to  take a break and try to relax

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:23:55 PM »
You didn't mention your age, but it's a fact that as you age, your body makes LESS melatonin, which is the chemical that helps you to sleep. Thats why the older you get, it seems you need less and less sleep.

I like to buy over the counter Melatonin and take it each night....it helps me to get some solid sleep. Ive always been a very light sleeper anyway.....anything happens outside and I wake up.

Also, you might try Celestial Seasonings sleepytime tea, it has a bear in PJs in front of a fireplace on the green box.....if you drink a cup of that (I only need a fourth of a cup) it will relax you and you will fall asleep. (Chamomile also helps with pain I think I was reading) Chamomile is a wild flower that grows and women also use it to lighten their hair with it but it is a natural and harmless sedative.

If I were you I would try either or both of these, although Im not if at the same time is a good idea.

I hope that this helps.

:)

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »
Drink a couple glasses of wine and that should knock you out

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »
DWI,
  if you have the time you know where I can be found tomorrow,
  just stop by no appointment necessary...  ;D

Offline Bruicy Kibbutz

• Full JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »
Get some laughing gas, knock yo self out with gas!
DukeNukem

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »
DWI,
I will be there Dan guaranteed. I am free tom so I will see you.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
Hanna, thank you for your response. I have taken melatonin and it does nothing for me. But then again, I am someone who can take an ambien and drive a car. Ambien does nothing for me either.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:48 PM »

But I think it would be helpful to study the Kriyat Shema Al Hamita (the prayers recited say it every night) and say it each night before you go to sleep.

It will calm you down.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 10:40:19 PM »

But I think it would be helpful to study the Kriyat Shema Al Hamita (the prayers recited say it every night) and say it each night before you go to sleep.

It will calm you down.

Lubab, I dont think that will help me unfortunately. I believe in the power of tefila but I need an immediate solution to this problem.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »
DWI,
I will be there Dan guaranteed. I am free tom so I will see you.
O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:04 PM »

Yoga? (learning how to relax, possibly even into a sleep)
CBT? (cognitive behavioural therapy)

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »
Q_Q, I heard about cognitive behavioral therapy but I was hoping you could tell me a little more about that treatment.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 10:59:37 PM »

It will calm you down.

Lubab, I dont think that will help me unfortunately. I believe in the power of tefila but I need an immediate solution to this problem.

First, it doesn't hurt to try it. If it works it would be an "immediate solution".
Second, is there something specific about going to sleep that scares you? Is it the loss of control, the loss of awareness of your surroundings. Do any of these things scare you?
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.