Author Topic: Orange Juice  (Read 7676 times)

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Orange Juice
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 05:39:43 PM »
I rarely consume oranges as liquid, though it is good. And there's another orange (colored) juice I like- carrot juice.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »
I like to freeze orange juice in an ice tray with pop sticks in them, not bad on a hot day and won't have tons of sugar and corn syrup.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 06:09:31 PM »
I like to freeze orange juice in an ice tray with pop sticks in them, not bad on a hot day and won't have tons of sugar and corn syrup.

That's a good idea! :) Where do you get the clean sticks from though?

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
You can buy them by the boxful at a craft store....or reusable plastic ones......

That's a good idea! :) Where do you get the clean sticks from though?
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
You can buy them by the boxful at a craft store....or reusable plastic ones......

Cool :)

On the subject of juices, one of my favorites is Ocean Spray Cran/Grape. I love it. I know it's full of sugar though.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
Whole oranges are better, because they have less sugar and more fiber.  The only thing a person should really ever drink is water.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »
Whole oranges are better, because they have less sugar and more fiber.  The only thing a person should really ever drink is water.

OR FRUIT JUICE  - for goodness sake!!! how many times.

milk mixed with bananas makes a nice milkshake..   If milk is healthy enough for you and if bananas aren't too sweet (I think bananas can be high on sugar, or high on the sugar in fruits - fructose I think). 
But milk is a bit thick.

Maybe one shoud drink water more than other drinks.

BTW , too much water is bad..  (you won't hear that in many places, but i'm sure in the future they'll tell you more)

These days, if you follow advice they give, you'd end up drinking tons of it.
8 glasses, how big are the glasses..  8 glasses is alot.  I drink if i am thirsty. Maybe more. But don't make a rule like 8 glasses and sit there drinkin them when you don't even feel like it.

I did at one time think it was OK to drink loads of water.. It wasn't. I got very dizzy.

There is even such a thing as water intoxication if you drink it -really- excessively, and people have died from it.

I have had the effects of drinking too much water. It's not harmless.

Don't drink it like more water = better.

The body contains salty water.  If you drink lots and lots and lots of water, just walking around with a bottle of water and drinking it for the hell of it. It's not good.. You dilute the salt water in your cells.

Infact..when I was drinking TONS of water, I found that adding a little bit of sea salt stopped me getting dizzy from it. I heard that recommendation on radio from (the late) Dr Batman Gelly!!  Dr. F. Batmaghelidj (of india).

Nowadays I don't drink TONS of water anymore. So I don't get dizzy and don't add salt to the water.
I never really knew how much salt to add anyway.. But i'm aware of the dnagers of too much salt, so prefer just to not overdrink the water.

Be seriously careful about drinking too much water.
If you get dizzy, the water is a suspect.

If you're a bit thirsty, DRINK

But if you're not even a bit thirsty, then don't.

A good thing to check is your urine.. Easily done
When you go

If it is CLEAR then you have alot of water.. Prob don't need more.
If it's YELLOW then maybe you could do with more water.
If it's orange, I think that means you're in trouble and really really need water.

You can develop a good sense of your water level anyhow, without watching your urine.

Of course, watching your urine is easier for men than for women.

I do have a toilet where the water in the bowl always looks yellow, i'm not sure about what it loosk like when it comes out.. If there's a ifference. If so,then you can only go by what it looks like when it comes out. i'll check eventually, and amend this post!!!!!!!!

And By the way. A multivitamin pill (I have solgar in mind, it's kosher) that one causes orange coloured urine. I that instance it doesn't mean you're dehydrated. I personally don't have multivitamins.. or vitamin pills.
Though if I have a cold, I have a pill that combines Vitamin C and Zinc.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:55:23 PM by q_q_ »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
I should add..

I am still quite a big water drinker..  especially in this weather, it's extremely important.

but I know when to ignore the bottle!

I am well in tune with the water levels in my body, and if I've had too much I put the water out of my sight. But in easy reach. I do keep water near me..

I am big on water.. It is my main drink

But, don't drink it for the hell of it. And be aware of the symptoms of too much water. From my experience, namely, dizzyness. (and you know it's not from dehydration if you're not thirsty and have been drinking loads of it! and especially, I know since adding a bit of salt as an experiment, made the dizzyness go)

But, I must stress.. I don't add salt to my water. I just don't overdrink it. And if I did get dizzy i'd just put it away. But I don't get dizzy.. I know my water level..

I also -feel- if I need sugar or if i've had too much.. You can become very in touch with these things

For example. 
I find that a sugary food tastes good at the beginning, but soon I get sick of the sweetness.

When I used to have coca cola, I found the sweetness good at the beginning of the 330ml can, but towards the end of the can I felt it was too sweet. There is an associated craving I can detect. Lack of sugar can cause dizzyness too.  So if I get dizzy and I haven't had much sugary food, I have a bit, and often that fixes it! Or, if I have something sugary, I can feel I am high on sugar and will avoid anything sugary.

Know Thyself!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »
qq, are you a doctor?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »
Has anyone tried ginger drinks?
Put some ginger in hot water or tea?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »
Ginger Ale is pretty good.....Ive had that...

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »

Heh-heh-heh
Thats not real ginger!
Have you tried ginger tea? Or ginger and orange juice?
It's painful at first.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
qq, are you a doctor?

no

But I don't say "trust me" - as in speaking as an authority, I don't believe in that anyway.. Everything I say has reasons, and has a "reference"/"source" written in there. Not a medical textbook, i'm not doctor. But, e.g. some details of my own experience with an analysis, or an experience as described by others I have spoken to, or a concensus amongst many good websites. Often a concensus amongst peoples' experiences - from people I have spoken to, analysed well and conclusively.

The point about the urine colour I first heard about 2 decades ago on a school trip to israel, the weather was particularly hot.  And since then experience has shown me that the level of water in one's body has that affect on the colour of one's urine.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:52:59 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »

Heh-heh-heh
Thats not real ginger!
It's painful at first.

ginger tea is strong stuff..but excellent for your health...If you are in Manhattan, they have that at the Yaffa Cafe.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:02 AM »
I always used to think of Orange Jews when someone said Orange Juice.. :::D

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »

Heh-heh-heh
Thats not real ginger!
It's painful at first.

ginger tea is strong stuff..but excellent for your health...If you are in Manhattan, they have that at the Yaffa Cafe.

Shalom Dr. Dan...the Chinese have a recipe called ginger and coke a cola...this is for people who have sore throats and colds.
If you catch a cold, you boil coke a cola in a sauce pan, add fresh grated ginger root..let it steep for 3 minutes, strain and drink as a hot beverage.
I tried this when I had a cold or a sore throat..it really works!

Shalom to all from Dox

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »
I like ginger tea. It is kind of hot and spicy, but for a mild stomach ache or nausea, this is what I do, I boil water and then add a ginger tea bag and a peppermint tea bag to it, and a dash of cinnamon, then I put in some sweetener. It's good and it helps my stomach.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
I like ginger tea. It is kind of hot and spicy, but for a mild stomach ache or nausea, this is what I do, I boil water and then add a ginger tea bag and a peppermint tea bag to it, and a dash of cinnamon, then I put in some sweetener. It's good and it helps my stomach.

Hi Ruby, peppermint is excellent for the stomach. I have made peppermint and ginger tea and it is great for indigestion.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »

Hi Ruby, peppermint is excellent for the stomach. I have made peppermint and ginger tea and it is great for indigestion.

I don't really get stomach pain thank G-d, (as of writing anyhow!) but some foods do set the bowels off.

peppermint has a calming affect on the bowels..
peppermint tea tastes great and is healthy

but if something triggers bad bowels, I prefer to find the cause and not to just treat the symptoms. Even if it is with something harmless (and even healthy!) like peppermint.

I always manage to find what it is.. Because most of the things that I eat I eat because I know they are healthy and have eaten them loads of times before anyway.  When eating something knew and something happens it's easier to isolate the cause.

And I would deal with the cause.. perhaps eliminating the food. Or not eating it on an empty stomach perhaps.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »

Heh-heh-heh
Thats not real ginger!
It's painful at first.

Shalom Dr. Dan...the Chinese have a recipe called ginger and coke a cola...this is for people who have sore throats and colds.
If you catch a cold, you boil coke a cola in a sauce pan, add fresh grated ginger root..let it steep for 3 minutes, strain and drink as a hot beverage.

Shalom to all from Dox

diet coke or regular coke?

Sounds interesting...

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

Heh-heh-heh
Thats not real ginger!
It's painful at first.

Shalom to all from Dox

diet coke or regular coke?

Sounds interesting...

Hi Dan, Diet Coke may be used. The heat from the ginger and cola is what gives relief...I don't think the sugar has anything to do with the outcome. Diet coke is advised for diabetics.
The beverage is strong and has a unique taste to it.

Shalom from Dox 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:05:20 PM by republicandox »

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »
I would avoid Orange Juice made from concentrate. In fact any juice made from concentrate is not worth buying. If you have a healthy BMI (Body mass index) than a tall glass of Orange Juice won't hurt at all. In fact two won't hurt. Just don't drink it without eating something first.

*I'm not a doctor nor do I specialize in nutritional science.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:35:54 PM by Mishmaat »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »
I guess you mean cartoned.. But  I would avoid it full stop. Sugary, acidic . Water is always available.   

There is a wide range of healthy BMI .   And BMI doesn't take into account muscle or weight of frame.   As far as it is concerned it's all weight, of which too little is unhealthy and too much is unhealthy. 

BMI isn't very relevant to this.

A really tall person with a BMI of 20  , is going to be alot bigger than a short person with a BMI of 20.  And all other things being equal, they would be able to take more acidic sugary cartoned orange juice! or worse, super acidic cranberry juice!

I really must stress how bad the symptoms were/are..

(I think cranberry is more acidic.. from my experience anyway!!  but both had an effect. Yes I drunk them in excess, but the effect they had was enormous, particularly the cranberry juice. Cartons of it had such an effect.  I was on the train, then I couldn't really walk because of Stabbings pains. I had to breath really lightly because anything more than a "shallow" breath hurt in the chest area.  I was 19 at the time.. Never had any problems  like that before, never had any since. It was all from that!  ) The only chest "pain" I have had before or since have been once in a blue moon when I pull a muscle, and that's nothing.   Stabbing pain and shortness of breath are also heart attack symptoms.
Even if I had drunk alot less it would have had an effect. Because the symptoms were SO great. )

From time to time sitting down I could suddenly HEAR my heart beat, and it went irregular.
Very strange. All from too much cartoned cranberry juice -make ocean spray- I guarantee it.  It only happened during those months that I drunk it(lots of cartons of it).

of course, cranberry juice is especially good for women..
I would avoid cartons though.. as is clear!

Others I have spoken too also spoke of pains, they mentioned stomach but I think they meant chest and didn't want to say it because it would make them feel vulnerable and middle aged..

cartoned Orange juice would produce similar effects but you'd probably need more of it. I do remember getting very slight chest pains from it but I never drunk cartons and cartons.. Only a carton here and there..

I know i'm repeating myself.. but I just need to stress how bad the stuff is.

And people keep talking about drinking it..

2 glasses may be fine, yes.

But 0 glasses is probably better!!!

Even if you aren't drinking loads, it's sugary and acidic.

There are fresh fruits that you don't have to peel.
Raspberries, Blackberries. They are very convenient to eat.
Fruits that can be put in a juicer.. tomatos..  (no need to even peel them)
Even oranges maybe, but as mentioned, the peel.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
Orange juice belongs in vodka.  If it vitamin c you want, buy a good ester-c supplement.  Sugar Free Tang would be just as good.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 05:34:55 PM »
People react differently yo acidic food. I once had a bad reaction to eating too many pickles, but normally I have none (not that I tried cartons of orange juice). I eat plenty of tomatoes which are acidic. I also drink lots of tea so may be it helps to neutralize the acid.