Author Topic: What is your perception of "cool"?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
What is your perception of "cool"?
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »
In this week's Ask JTF, Chaim mentioned that he would like to see the idea of cool redefined to mean right wing values.  (I'm paraphrasing, my memory is not so good.)

What does cool mean to you?  And how would you like our young people to think about coolness?

For me, cool has to do with taking pride in hard work, hard-won victories against evil, creating a family that works for righteous causes (as G-d defines righteous).

What are your thoughts?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: What is your perception of "cool"?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:55:34 PM »
Cool means looking good without looking like a slut, being intelligent enough to engage in serious conversations, having a good sense of humor, being kind to others, and taking responsibility for yourself.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »
Cool means looking good without looking like a slut, being intelligent enough to engage in serious conversations, having a good sense of humor, being kind to others, and taking responsibility for yourself.

Cool is a word used by immature kids or immature "adults", and thus it can only have a childish meaning. The childish meaning that they give to it.

It can mean, "he can be trusted", along with other different meanings showing the approval from the child-mind.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »

Cool is a word used by immature kids or immature "adults", and thus it can only have a childish meaning. The childish meaning that they give to it.

It can mean, "he can be trusted", along with other different meanings showing the approval from the child-mind.

I agree, it has more of an adolescent childish-slang affiliation, but I agree it should be replaced with a more descriptive word.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »
If you want to know cool. Watch Happy Days. The Fonz is the absolute COOL. He is also Jewish, his parents survived the Holocaust and migrated to the US.

Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
If you want to know cool. Watch Happy Days. The Fonz is the absolute COOL. He is also Jewish, his parents survived the Holocaust and migrated to the US.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »

I agree, it has more of an adolescent childish-slang affiliation, but I agree it should be replaced with a more descriptive word.

Goodness me..   Thinking people manage fine without the word.

I use the word DECENT

And it has nothing to do with how smoothly people talk, or how stylish they are in the way they dress.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »
cool means keeping your composure under fire. A person who is cool is able to keep his powers of reason while the whole world is moving underneath.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 07:13:45 PM »
cool means keeping your composure under fire. A person who is cool is able to keep his powers of reason while the whole world is moving underneath.

there's a word for that, 

"Calm"

The word cool out of context is a very ambiguous word. Along with other criticism I have heaped on it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »

there's a word for that, 

"Calm"

The word cool out of context is a very ambiguous word. Along with other criticism I have heaped on it.

q_q_,

From google "define:cool" :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Acool&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

# neither warm nor very cold; giving relief from heat; "a cool autumn day"; "a cool room"; "cool summer dresses"; "cool drinks"; "a cool breeze"
# marked by calm self-control (especially in trying circumstances); unemotional; "play it cool"; "keep cool"; "stayed coolheaded in the crisis"; "the most nerveless winner in the history of the tournament"
# (color) inducing the impression of coolness; used especially of greens and blues and violets; "cool greens and blues and violets"
# make cool or cooler; "Chill the food"
# psychologically cool and unenthusiastic; unfriendly or unresponsive or showing dislike; "relations were cool and polite"; "a cool reception"; "cool to the idea of higher taxes"
# loose heat; "The air cooled considerably after the thunderstorm"
# (used of a number or sum) without exaggeration or qualification; "a cool million bucks"
# the quality of being at a refreshingly low temperature; "the cool of early morning"
# lose intensity; "His enthusiasm cooled considerably"
# aplomb: great coolness and composure under strain; "keep your cool"
# fashionable and attractive at the time; often skilled or socially adept; "he's a cool dude"; "that's cool"; "Mary's dress is really cool"; "it's not cool to arrive at a party too early"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# "Cool" is a pop song written by Gwen Stefani and Dallas Austin for Stefani's debut solo album Love. Angel. Music. Baby (2004). ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool (song)

# Cool (쿨) is Korean dance and ballad group. Their hit songs include 해변의 여인 (The Woman of the Sea) and 미절.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool (group)

# Cool is an aesthetic of attitude, behavior, comportment, appearance, style and Zeitgeist. Because of the varied and changing connotations of cool, as well its subjective nature, the word has no single meaning. It has associations of composure and self-control (cf. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool (aesthetic)

# "Cool" was the second single released from The Time's debut album. Like most of the album, the song was recorded in Prince's home studio in April 1981, and was produced, arranged, and performed by Prince with Morris Day later adding his lead vocals. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool (The Time song)

# Cool, an acronym for Classroom Object Oriented Language, is a computer programming language designed by Alexander Aiken for use in an undergraduate compiler course project. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool (programming language)

# "Cool" is a song from the musical West Side Story. Leonard Bernstein composed the music and Stephen Sondheim wrote the lyrics. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool (Leonard Bernstein song)

# To lose heat, to get colder; To become less amicable; Having a slightly low temperature; mildly or pleasantly cold; Of a person, not showing emotion; Of a person, knowing what to do and how to behave in any situation; In fashion; Of an action, all right, acceptable, that does not present a ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cool

# This popular expression is used to describe something that is very good. Ex: “That band is cool!”
www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam/1914-/language/slang.htm

# The style of the early 50s, taken up by many white musicians and popular on college campuses. The basis was bebop, but the fastest tempos were not used and the sound was quiet and understated. Miles Davis was one of the main originators.
www.apassion4jazz.net/glossary.html

# G cooled by the temperature t .
cgsuite.sourceforge.net/docs/tutorials/using-cgsuite/glossary.html

# To bring hot or warm food to an average normal room temperature, around 68 to 70 degrees F, or until it no longer feels warm to the touch.
thebakingpan.com/Baking_Basics/baking_terms.html

# Cole or Kale. Any one of a number of leafy vegetables, usually a variant of cabbage (Brassica oleracea).
www.medievalcookery.com/dictionary/dict_c.shtm

# Let food stand on the counter (on a hot pad or wire cooling rack) until it is no longer hot.
www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-with-kids/cooking-terms/

# to allow a food to sit until it is no longer warm to the touch.
www.cooksrecipes.com/cooking-dictionary/C-10.html

# (Forge Books)
www.hassmanindexing.com/portfolio/misc.html

# Moderately deficient in body and warmth, due to progressive attenuation of frequencies below about 150Hz.
www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index2.html

# of a hue in the range violet through blue to green.
www.apparelsearch.com/glossary_c_3_clothing.htm

# To come to room temperature.
www.marthawhite.com/cooks_corner/southern_cooking_glossary.aspx

# Refers to bluish colors that, by association with common objects (water, ice, and so on), give an impression of coolness.
home.netcom.com/~sensuali/glossary.html

# This is a pretty cool site, but unfortunately what I was looking for was Japanese ringtones...If your looking for that too, this is not the thing to...
java-mobile-dictionary.qarchive.org/

# the first of two snow-themed courses in the game, featuring some penguins in need and various snowy enemies. ...
www.experiencefestival.com/a/Super_Mario_64_-_Gameplay/id/2090807

# Allow hot food to stand at room temperature for a specified amount of time. Placing hot food on a wire rack will help it cool more quickly. Stirring mixtures occasionally also will help them cool more quickly and evenly.
www.geocities.com/jcturner5/tips/terms.html

# The circulating oil carries heat away from high-temperature components such as pistons and bearings
bsmithbufsd.com/Documents/Lubrication.doc

So my definition is one of the many definitions of the word...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »
sunglasses at night.... 8)
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:53:41 PM »

agreed.  it is childish and show a limited vocabulary.  if a replacement word is implemented, it will be another one syllable, childish, easy to pronounce word.  i even hesitate to call it a word.  it is slang.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I disagree with the idea that the concept of cool is necessarily childish.  It evokes a very specific feeling, one of being self-assured and at the same time free of needless worry.  The term has a meaning that is both specific and yet far reaching.  If you can think of a word that conveys the same broad and specific meaning as the word cool, then what is it?

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »
I disagree with the idea that the concept of cool is necessarily childish.  It evokes a very specific feeling, one of being self-assured and at the same time free of needless worry.  The term has a meaning that is both specific and yet far reaching.  If you can think of a word that conveys the same broad and specific meaning as the word cool, then what is it?

we don't know yet.  back in the '50s, the words used were "neat," and in the '60s, "groovy."  i guess we all use the word "cool" because it is word that is part of our culture.  seems everyone uses this word, unless they are over 85+

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »

Joe Kool

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »

in a crisis, cool means that.
But around a pool table, where everybody is like that, it means more like a Fonz character.

confident, secure, balanced, composed,

Infact, Fonz is the definition of cool, as mentioned.  It doesn't just mean confident, secure, balanced,composed. Alot of accountants are those things but not considered cool!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
I think science is cool.

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 11:18:19 PM »

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
I'm not going to get into a frivolous argument over the etymology of slang words.

I think that people who are informed, rational, opinionated and not afraid to tell the truth regardless of how unpopular or "politically-correct" it may be are cool. Chaim is cool. Rabbi Kahane zt"l was cool. Knowledge is cool. Morality and decency is cool. Standing for principles is cool.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 05:52:42 AM »
I'm not going to get into a frivolous argument over the etymology of slang words.

I think that people who are informed, rational, opinionated and not afraid to tell the truth regardless of how unpopular or "politically-correct" it may be are cool. Chaim is cool. Rabbi Kahane zt"l was cool. Knowledge is cool. Morality and decency is cool. Standing for principles is cool.

"cool" doesn't stress great moral principles.

James Bond is another, a distant second to The Fonz.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 07:39:31 AM »
Looking decent is the best way to dress.
Be modest.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »
Looking decent is the best way to dress.
Be modest.

Obviously.

This thread is pathetic.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:05 AM »

A cool person can have a few meanings:

one is when one lacks the showing of his passion...he's cool and calm..

A cool person is someone who goes against the status quo and with great confidence and looks good doing it...

A cool person can be someone who he probably get hypothermia if the temperature was 10 degrees less.

A cool person can be someone who's comfortable
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 07:52:18 AM »
Cool just means that you are loyal.  So am I screwed up? When I say a person is 'cool with me' that means that I think they are 'loyal' and I might trust them, but usually I dont use any slang- but that is what I said as a 20 yr old person.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates