Poll

Should Chaim Get a New Background For His Shows?

No. I like it the way it is.
He should get a curtain, but nothing too fancy.
JTF should invest in a very professional background.

Author Topic: Makeover of Chaim's Set  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Makeover of Chaim's Set
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:20:45 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I think Chaim's set behind him when he does the video shows is very hard on the eyes. You got the computer, the flag which looks like its seen better days and the office desk.
How much would it cost to get him a nicer background that blocks out the computer and desk? Maybe a screen that has an Israeli flag on it.

I think it would go a long way towards JTF being taken more seriously.

Anyone know anything about getting a nice background for Chaim?

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Makeover of Chaim's Set
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »
I agree - I have been thinking the same thing.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Hajar

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I think it goes to show that JTF is trying to build itself up and needs financial support. It also looks more homely as if what Chaim is saying, truly comes from the heart. :)

Then again a change would look more professional

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
I agree Hajar - Chiam's background should not look too slick - that would detract from his message - you are probably right.
I was thinking - just - "updated" somewhat.   :)

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:07:39 AM »
For what it is worth, I'd suggest that Chaim and David invest in a pair of those clip on microphones, have someone control the screen, pop up things for JTF and VJA, and have the shows set in a living room setting.  Perhaps a nice couch and chair to allow JTF to invite guests each week to discuss current events similar to like an Oprah, Dr. Phil or The View type show only, of course, right wing, professional and not of their continual "progressive" ignorance....  I'd say 1-3 cameras, 2-4 microphones and someones home would be ideal although there are many others who know far more than I do on this techno related areas.  The outcome could be edited very easily to produce a very professional looking show with relative ease. 

I'd also, perhaps suggest, if it is possible to somehow start an evening AM radio show.  Perhaps contacting Joseph Farrah for some funding or support as he assisted Savage and numerous others looking to save Israel, Lebanon and America...so I am told..

I feel, personally, that the goal might be to attain the highest level of professionalism to allow wider marketability.  It is usually always far easier to sell, market and promote something professional over something that one could pick apart as "extremism" or some fly by night operation...especially if one wishes to ever approach some of the more main stream Conservative mediums, hosts or operations...

This is the best I can offer other than blowing up the Knesset and Israel Supreme Court, of course while both are in session.....

My two cents...
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
For what it is worth, I'd suggest that Chaim and David invest in a pair of those clip on microphones, have someone control the screen, pop up things for JTF and VJA, and have the shows set in a living room setting.  Perhaps a nice couch and chair to allow JTF to invite guests each week to discuss current events similar to like an Oprah, Dr. Phil or The View type show only, of course, right wing, professional and not of their continual "progressive" ignorance....  I'd say 1-3 cameras, 2-4 microphones and someones home would be ideal although there are many others who know far more than I do on this techno related areas.  The outcome could be edited very easily to produce a very professional looking show with relative ease. 

I'd also, perhaps suggest, if it is possible to somehow start an evening AM radio show.  Perhaps contacting Joseph Farrah for some funding or support as he assisted Savage and numerous others looking to save Israel, Lebanon and America...so I am told..

I feel, personally, that the goal might be to attain the highest level of professionalism to allow wider marketability.  It is usually always far easier to sell, market and promote something professional over something that one could pick apart as "extremism" or some fly by night operation...especially if one wishes to ever approach some of the more main stream Conservative mediums, hosts or operations...

This is the best I can offer other than blowing up the Knesset and Israel Supreme Court, of course while both are in session.....

My two cents...

Thats a great suggestion, why don't you mention it to Chaim Marzutra. It doesn't require much extra costs and is something that can easily be done. Plus it'll make it all the better.

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:06:23 PM »

My two cents...

I absolutely agree with this sentiment 100%. An air of professionalism lends credibility. While Chaim likes the idea that kids also like the "underground" look and feel of a lot of the videos, the kids are not the earth shakers and movers. They are rebellious kids who think that is cool. Sure they will be earth shakers tomorrow...but by then they will have grown out of a lot of that underground rebellious stage and will still consider something professionally done to be more legitimate.

Having a "talk show" like setting would do wonders. Having a two or three camera setup would also be great. Using Mini-DV or High Definition cameras would help tremendously in picture quality.

I listened again to the sound and Chaim was right. The sound is really not that bad. But the picture could most definitely be helped by using higher end cameras and by having professional lighting done.

Victory is a thing of the will. -General Ferdinand Foch

Our peace must be a peace of victors, not of the vanquished.
- General Ferdinand Foch

We have met the enemy and they are ours.
- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
Guys are we willing to put together some cash for this project so we can come to Chaim with the proposal and the money? We need to find out how much these improvements will cost.

Chaim will be reluctant to use the general contributions for asthetic purposes like this.
I think our best shot is if the money is raised from the start specifically for this purpose.

For what is worth I will pledge $50 for this.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 10:59:08 AM »
Guys are we willing to put together some cash for this project so we can come to Chaim with the proposal and the money? We need to find out how much these improvements will cost.

Chaim will be reluctant to use the general contributions for asthetic purposes like this.
I think our best shot is if the money is raised from the start specifically for this purpose.

For what is worth I will pledge $50 for this.

As I said before - I would like to see Chiam's set updated - but would not like to see it look too "slick".
When I see the set on youtube - I wonder if the shows I'm watching are really old shows - I think that is in response to the set looking dated - I think small changes might make a big impact.  I like the format of the show without all the glitz that can be a distraction.
I would pledge $25.00 to this project - whatever is decided.

Scriabin

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »
I'll pledge $20. 

Why not make a huge poster of Rabbi Kahane and put it behind Chaim?  Use a picture of the Rabbi that includes the flag of Israel.

1) There's nothing 'slick' about it. 
2) It will lend a bit of 'professionalism' to the show. 
3) It won't cost that much.
4) It represents JTF.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:14:13 AM by Scriabin »

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 04:43:23 PM »
Do you need a credit card or bank account to give the money, can you post it?

Scriabin, i don't mean to be at all negative and its a good idea BUT.... another face in the background may distract you from Chaim and first time viewers may not know who Rabbi Kahane is and it'll be confusing.
I think a neatly pressed flag of Israel, tidy background, maybe JTF sign.....may be ok.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:59:12 PM »
If you don't have a bank account you can mail a money order to the address on the website. But I don't think JTF can accept foreign currency.

So what do we got now $95 or so? This will for sure pay for the microphone clips. Does everyone at least agree they should get those?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »
I'll give 25 dollars
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:09 PM »
Ok look,

You want to be professional but not so slick. I don't get the mentality of this. Have any of you ever been part of a real political campaign? Have any of you worked in the media?

Ok, whatever.

You want to do it on the cheap then I would suggest this:

Put Chaim in front of a Green Screen. In Post-production of the video you can then project whatever image you want behind Chaim. Put a DESK in front of the Green Screen. This will give Chaim the air of being a news anchor etc. or being like David Letterman etc. (If you are going for the latter effect then let Chaim also have a mic with a mini-mic stand that sits on the desk. Much like what he has now.)

You still need good lights. It ought to be a three-point lighting kit at a bare minimum.
You still need a good camera.

The costs are broken down below in generalities:

1. The cost of a green screen behind Chaim:  a 6' x 6' green screen (which would be fine for Chaim's purposes costs roughly around $180.00

2. The cost of just one good Mini-DV Camera which is a Prosumer camera (In-between total professional and regular schmuck) is by brand:

Panasonic DVX-100b: $3,910.00

Canon XL2 : $4,400

(Don't even worry about Sony.)

If you go the High Definition Camera route:

Panasonic HVX200 :$7,000.00 (camera only)

JVC GYHD100 : About the same price range as the HVX200 (Better camera overall though.)

A BASIC three point lighting kit: Approx. anywhere from $1500 to $2,000.

Now, with that said, all of these things can be gotten cheaper...like on EBAY but you will still be paying a higher price tag than I think most of you were thinking. But hey....quality costs. You don't want the JTF looking like it is produced in the bargain basement.

Again...you have GOT to get better at dealing with anything concerning the media. And if you are going to play politics then you have GOT to play to win. Otherwise...what's the friggin point?

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
I like the attidude here but we need to get real with how much money we have to work with.

I think lighting is key. If you know where to find a set cheaper pls. let us know. The green screen is surprisingly cheap and I think would be worth it.

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »
Ok look,

You want to be professional but not so slick. I don't get the mentality of this. Have any of you ever been part of a real political campaign? Have any of you worked in the media?

Ok, whatever.

You want to do it on the cheap then I would suggest this:

Put Chaim in front of a Green Screen. In Post-production of the video you can then project whatever image you want behind Chaim. Put a DESK in front of the Green Screen. This will give Chaim the air of being a news anchor etc. or being like David Letterman etc. (If you are going for the latter effect then let Chaim also have a mic with a mini-mic stand that sits on the desk. Much like what he has now.)

You still need good lights. It ought to be a three-point lighting kit at a bare minimum.
You still need a good camera.

The costs are broken down below in generalities:

1. The cost of a green screen behind Chaim:  a 6' x 6' green screen (which would be fine for Chaim's purposes costs roughly around $180.00

2. The cost of just one good Mini-DV Camera which is a Prosumer camera (In-between total professional and regular schmuck) is by brand:

Panasonic DVX-100b: $3,910.00

Canon XL2 : $4,400

(Don't even worry about Sony.)

If you go the High Definition Camera route:

Panasonic HVX200 :$7,000.00 (camera only)

JVC GYHD100 : About the same price range as the HVX200 (Better camera overall though.)

A BASIC three point lighting kit: Approx. anywhere from $1500 to $2,000.

Now, with that said, all of these things can be gotten cheaper...like on EBAY but you will still be paying a higher price tag than I think most of you were thinking. But hey....quality costs. You don't want the JTF looking like it is produced in the bargain basement.

Again...you have GOT to get better at dealing with anything concerning the media. And if you are going to play politics then you have GOT to play to win. Otherwise...what's the friggin point?
Very good.  You obviously know far more about this stuff than I do.  Very good. You are one that should be consulted directly with.  Good post...
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 12:16:23 PM »
I like the attidude here but we need to get real with how much money we have to work with.

I think lighting is key. If you know where to find a set cheaper pls. let us know. The green screen is surprisingly cheap and I think would be worth it.

Unless this movement is seriously WAAAAYYYY smaller than I thought, I would think that funds could be allocated for something worthwhile like this.

You have to consider...if you produce higher end shows, there will be a broader market. You will find more avenues to place those shows both on the Internet as well as possibly on Television. (Provided you are not advocating violence or something.)

In any case, I did find a company that sells lighting kits for somewhat cheaper than I mentioned.

Check out:

http://www.pclightingsystems.com/tungsten/tungsten.html

The 3600 Watt Indie Filmmaker Kit would do the trick nicely for Chaim's purposes and comes in with a price tag of $995.00 which includes UPS delivery. This is definitely cheaper than some other places I've found where the average price was what I quoted above...anywhere from $1500 to $2,000.

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
oooo i know this dude, who is selling his mini-dv camcorder, its a Samsung VP-D461 i think......and since he needs the money desperatly, he is selling it for around £150, which is about $239. If everyone chips in it'll be quite a managble price, right? Plus you'd get a much sharper and clearer picture.

Heyyy theres no need to BUY lighting! Just fit a halogen lamp, or very bright  mobile lamp, with reflecting sides and backdoors to control the position of the light. .......the results could be rather cheapy or on the contrary, perfectly adequate. :D

About collecting money.......if i forwarded some money by post to a person living in England. Could they pay through their bank account or something.... ???

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »
You COULD conceivably do what Sarah is talking about with lighting. But I think it is a poor substitute for a real lighting kit.

This is because you really do need to have a good Primary light, a good fill and a good background light.

Using regular light sources makes it hard to achieve this sometimes.

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
Please do not go to the trouble of buying the Samsung VP-D461. It is a consumer grade camera. No professional would use it for broadcasting.

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
Please do not go to the trouble of buying the Samsung VP-D461. It is a consumer grade camera. No professional would use it for broadcasting.

You're the expert :D

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 03:06:31 PM »
DawnTreader:
The problem is not that the movement is so small that it coudn't raise the money needed to do this.

The problem is that Kahanists by their nature are extremely idealistic and often are not so practical. They want to go straight to the goal even though sometimes you need to take a couple steps back to jump forward. So Chaim is reluctant to dedicate funds to this when it could be used to help families in Judea Samaria etc.

So we can either try to change the whole philosophy or we'll just need to do the best with the people we have here who realize the importance of this.

I think when we get the plan clear with prices and then an appeal for money on the general discussion board is in order. Then we bring the plan and the money to Chaim.

Sarah:
I think you should PM Jimmy about how to get the money over to JTF. He should really help you with that if you want to give.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:11:41 PM by lubab »

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »
Should we bid on this?

Lighting system for $275-looks good but I know nothing about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-used-lighting-system-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ330102677798QQcategoryZ29945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
I would say, do not bid on this set. For one thing, the seller does not say exactly how many lights comes with the set, nor what type they are from what I could see. Of course, I briefly glanced over it so I could have missed some of those details, but I don't think so.

I would think you should have a very definite statement of what type of lights you are buying, what their wattage is etc. and whether they come with any lighting stands or not.

(I did see that this one came with at least one stand. Still, without knowing what types of lights are being sold or how many come with the set, it's a dangerous deal.)

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Scriabin

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
What does Chaim think of all this?