Author Topic: Celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween Tonight.  (Read 5082 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween Tonight.
« on: October 31, 2008, 07:37:12 AM »
   While some people may be going to Halloween parties, I'm asking all Jews to celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween tonight. Instead of ghost stories you can say prayers. Instead of getting drunk at a bar, you can have a LaChaim. There is nothing spooky about shabbat candles. There is no need for a costume either. Put on your nicest clothes. If a Jew knocks on your door, invite them in for Shabbat dinner. Have a wonderful and meaningful Shabbat.

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween Tonight.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:17 AM »
   While some people may be going to Halloween parties, I'm asking all Jews to celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween tonight. Instead of ghost stories you can say prayers. Instead of getting drunk at a bar, you can have a LaChaim. There is nothing spooky about shabbat candles. There is no need for a costume either. Put on your nicest clothes. If a Jew knocks on your door, invite them in for Shabbat dinner. Have a wonderful and meaningful Shabbat.

fantastic..

a guy that has never kept shabbat and usually celebrates halloween  Sees a jew knock at his door.. (would probably be a chassid asking for charity. Or some frum kids that have shabbat at home anyway. How else would he know they were jewish). 

So this formerly halloween jew, formerly as in, until yesterday. Is now going to invite a religious jew into the house.. and make a real nice shabbat atmosphere, and a shabbat lunch. All kosher of course

Isn't halloween really for kids?
so this is a secular child, inviting an adult in for shabbat lunch. It gets better.

I'm glad your post isn't causing any harm!!! You really got the audiences mixed up here big time.  I dont think you really thought this through at all.  Unbelievable!

Normally a person that doesn't normally keep shabbat, or is new to it, is the one that is invited to a shabbat meal.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »
q_q_,

I'm going to leave it up to another Mod to decide how to handle your personal attack and just for the record, it has been many years since I made the decision not to celebrate Halloween. I don't want to get into a personal debate over this. If you disagree with my message and want Jews to celebrate Halloween instead, then I will debate you.

My message is simple. Celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween. That is exactly what I plan to do tonight. Many Jewish kids are going to be trick or treating tonight and the Rebbe would want them invited in when they knocked because he wanted to bring Jews back to the faith. While the conservatives wanted people to leave an extra empty seat at the table for Holocaust victims, the Rebbe wanted families to go out and find someone to fill that seat.

Shmuel
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:35:41 AM »
Instead of Matzaball soup, I'm gonna have chocolate pumpking soup in fudge...and instead of Kugel..i'm going to have orange colored marshmellow pumpkin flavored kugle that look like skeleton bones...

NOT!!!!!!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »

fantastic..

a guy that has never kept shabbat and usually celebrates halloween  Sees a jew knock at his door.. (would probably be a chassid asking for charity. Or some frum kids that have shabbat at home anyway. How else would he know they were jewish). 

So this formerly halloween jew, formerly as in, until yesterday. Is now going to invite a religious jew into the house.. and make a real nice shabbat atmosphere, and a shabbat lunch. All kosher of course

Isn't halloween really for kids?
so this is a secular child, inviting an adult in for shabbat lunch. It gets better.

I'm glad your post isn't causing any harm!!! You really got the audiences mixed up here big time.  I dont think you really thought this through at all.  Unbelievable!

Normally a person that doesn't normally keep shabbat, or is new to it, is the one that is invited to a shabbat meal.

huh?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
q_q_,

I'm going to leave it up to another Mod to decide how to handle your personal attack and just for the record, it has been many years since I made the decision not to celebrate Halloween. I don't want to get into a personal debate over this. If you disagree with my message and want Jews to celebrate Halloween instead, then I will debate you.

My message is simple. Celebrate Shabbat instead of Halloween. That is exactly what I plan to do tonight. Many Jewish kids are going to be trick or treating tonight and the Rebbe would want them invited in when they knocked because he wanted to bring Jews back to the faith. While the conservatives wanted people to leave an extra empty seat at the table for Holocaust victims, the Rebbe wanted families to go out and find someone to fill that seat.

Shmuel

I'm amused, but not that suprised, that you think I want you to celebrate Halloween instead of Shabbat.

Suppose I did tell you to celebrate Halloween instead of Shabbat. (let's pretend that you're right)

That sounds like an attack on judaism, not on you.

Did you think about that?  No.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »
Now I see the lengths of your lack of understanding, the breadth of it is tremendous.

You were addressing people who never kept shabbat before and talking about a situation where they see somebody knocking at their door.

I wrote

"a guy that has never kept shabbat and usually celebrates halloween  Sees a jew knock at his door"

You obviously thought that YOU were the guy that never kept shabbat before e.t.c.

Maybe that is the case, and you let out a freudian slip there about yourself.  But incase you didn't notice. You are ADDRESSING that kind of person, and telling him to invite people in for shabbat.

So you now think you are that person..

Tell me.  Is it an insult to be that person?

If you think so.. then that's even more strange. Because you are identifying with him.

<joke>I think you should take back your temples first,or rebuild them. Then, worry about taking back / rebuilding our temple!</joke>
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:00:29 AM by q_q_ »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:02:32 AM »
I think he meant someone they know is Jewish and shouldn't be out with their kids trick or treating, inviting them to the dinner to be more observant if they come to the door. It might make them feel guilty.  Maybe that's just how I read it but I thought that's what was meant.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
I think he meant someone they know is Jewish and shouldn't be out with their kids trick or treating, inviting them to the dinner to be more observant if they come to the door. It might make them feel guilty.  Maybe that's just how I read it but I thought that's what was meant.

an interesting interpretation.. that's not what I meant though.

What I meant should really be obvious to religious jews.. I was under the assumption that takebackourtemple keeps shabbat and knows about shabbat.  I suppose he does. But it still went over his head though, and worse, he thought I was saying that he always keeps halloween..
Any explanation is going over peoples' heads, I don't think this is really the right audience, the right bunch, in this thread.  So I don't plan on continuing re-explaining it, because the right bunch aren't here.  I think most religious jews would have understood it.   I wouldn't have expected gentiles to necessarily understand it, because it's such a jewish subject. But it's a sorry state of affairs when gentiles make less of a mess of what I said than jews, on this subject! 

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:24:48 AM by q_q_ »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »

What I meant should really be obvious to religious jews.. I was under the assumption that takebackourtemple keeps shabbat and knows about shabbat.  I suppose he does. But it still went over his head though, and worse, he thought I was saying that he always keeps halloween..
Any explanation is going over peoples' heads, I don't think this is really the right audience, the right bunch, in this thread.  So I don't plan on continuing re-explaining it, because the right bunch aren't here.  I think most religious jews would have understood it.   I wouldn't have expected gentiles to necessarily understand it, because it's such a jewish subject. But it's a sorry state of affairs when gentiles make less of a mess of what I said than jews, on this subject! 

I meant takebackourtemple. I think what he meant was not to be tempted by the kids whining or other things about doing Halloween stuff and to observe Shabbat regardless, and if any person you know is Jewish comes by to invite them in, but he'd have to say for sure for me to know if I got it right. I mean I would imagine most wouldn't be involved in this holiday anyway but for those who might be tempted I think the post was for them.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »
Now I see the lengths of your lack of understanding, the breadth of it is tremendous...

Yawn...

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
q_q, why are you making such a big deal over Takebackourtemple's post?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »

QQ i didn't understand your post to TBOT, but what I understood him to say was that Jews should observe Shabbat tonight and not Halloween.  And if a Jew comes knocking at the door, invite him/her inside for shabbat dinner...in other words welcome him/her with a friendly Jewish hand.  I don't think what he said was offensive or wrong or anything like that. In fact, it was a very nice thing to write.  I'm not sure what you wrote was a criticism or agreement of what he wrote. However, what he wrote was good..and hardly deserves any type of criticsm. My only question to you was, were you criticizing what he wrote or were you agreeing with him?

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
I think Shabbat is much more inspireing and beautyfull than this pagan cult festival.

Before a few minutes three little boors costumed as demons ringed on my door and wanted some tidbits to eat.

Of course I gave them nothing and I am really regretting, that I have no dog.  :'(
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
I think Shabbat is much more inspireing and beautyfull than this pagan cult festival.

Before a few minutes three little boors costumed as demons ringed on my door and wanted some tidbits to eat.

Of course I gave them nothing and I am really regretting, that I have no dog.  :'(

I respect anyone who would rather celebrate the Sabbath than Halloween. But this whole notion that Halloween is this evil "pagan cult festival" is really ridiculous.  As a kid, Halloween was one of my favorite holidays.  I loved getting dressed up in a costume and trick or treating. It was a lot of harmless fun, other than the subsequent dental work.       

Of all the people I know who participated in Halloween, I'm hard pressed to think of one who's now a witch or wiccan. Every year when I spend Christmas day with my close Christian friends, should I not do this as well for fear of becoming Christian?  If I had children, I'd have no problem with them participating in Halloween.  With all the serious problems facing us right now, worrying about Halloween couldn't be further down on my list.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:25:14 PM by Sparky »

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
I don't like Helloween and this will not change.

Sparky, we can only agree to differ on this issue.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:46 PM »
I don't like Helloween and this will not change.

Sparky, we can only agree to differ on this issue.

I completely respect your opinion.  I know Chaim wouldn't agree with me either.  Ouch.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »

I didn't know there was trick or treating in Europe. I thought it was more an American thing.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »

I didn't know there was trick or treating in Europe. I thought it was more an American thing.

They have it there as well some places the kids don't get dressed up at all

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 08:07:20 PM »
"Every year when I spend Christmas day with my close Christian friends, should I not do this as well"

Yes.

The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
QQ i didn't understand your post to TBOT, but what I understood him to say was that Jews should observe Shabbat tonight and not Halloween.  And if a Jew comes knocking at the door, invite him/her inside for shabbat dinner...in other words welcome him/her with a friendly Jewish hand.  I don't think what he said was offensive or wrong or anything like that. In fact, it was a very nice thing to write.  I'm not sure what you wrote was a criticism or agreement of what he wrote. However, what he wrote was good..and hardly deserves any type of criticsm. My only question to you was, were you criticizing what he wrote or were you agreeing with him?

I'm not criticising the general concept of inviting people over for shabbos.

And i'm not saying that what he says was offensive or "wrong".

What i'm pointing out is that the audience he has written for is meant to be one that has celebrated halloween in the past, and not shabbat. And he wants that person  to make shabbat(read- try to make it!) and invite jews round for shabbat.

Normally the person that invites people round for shabbat would be one that keeps shabbat anyway and wouldn't be relevant to mrtemple's post .

For example, you never have people that have never kept shabbat, holding a shabbaton.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 10:52:28 PM »
what I understood him to say was that Jews should observe Shabbat tonight and not Halloween.  And if a Jew comes knocking at the door, invite him/her inside for shabbat dinner...in other words welcome him/her with a friendly Jewish hand.

That is what I was saying. Great summary. Let's celebrate many more Shabbats to come.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 10:20:47 AM »

I'm not criticising the general concept of inviting people over for shabbos.

And i'm not saying that what he says was offensive or "wrong".

What i'm pointing out is that the audience he has written for is meant to be one that has celebrated halloween in the past, and not shabbat. And he wants that person  to make shabbat(read- try to make it!) and invite jews round for shabbat.

Normally the person that invites people round for shabbat would be one that keeps shabbat anyway and wouldn't be relevant to mrtemple's post .

For example, you never have people that have never kept shabbat, holding a shabbaton.

I disagree.  There are some Jews who might not normally be shomer shabbat to the standards of Orthodox Jews, but will, on occasion know about Shabbat and hold a shabbatone that comes at least close to the standards of Orthodox Judaism.  Any Jew who can, whether Orthodox or secular, hold a shabbatone and encourage other Jews, in particular secular non-orthodox ones, to partake in a particular night instead of a pagan or nonJewish holiday is doing a huge mitzva...maybe not as big as a typical orthodox Jew who automatically is shomer shabbat...however a secular jew who rarely ever keeps it and decides to have a conscious of doing something he normally doesn't do and encourages other non othodox jews to partake in shabbat during an otherwise pagan day is doing a huuuuge mitzva also. QQ, it seems that you are thumb your nose at those situations. Let me konw if i'm wrong.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
I disagree.  There are some Jews who might not normally be shomer shabbat to the standards of Orthodox Jews, but will, on occasion know about Shabbat and hold a shabbatone that comes at least close to the standards of Orthodox Judaism.  Any Jew who can, whether Orthodox or secular, hold a shabbatone and encourage other Jews, in particular secular non-orthodox ones, to partake in a particular night instead of a pagan or nonJewish holiday is doing a huge mitzva...maybe not as big as a typical orthodox Jew who automatically is shomer shabbat...however a secular jew who rarely ever keeps it and decides to have a conscious of doing something he normally doesn't do and encourages other non othodox jews to partake in shabbat during an otherwise pagan day is doing a huuuuge mitzva also. QQ, it seems that you are thumb your nose at those situations. Let me konw if i'm wrong.

Obviously it's likely that G-d would appreciate the thought..

The recipients may experience something good, but not really a shabbat atmosphere. Infact, I seriously doubt that they would even be eating kosher food. 

It takes alot of experience to create a good shabbat atmosphere. Even many modern orthodox people twiddle their thumbs over shabbat and it's not really something I would suggest inviting others to.

Dan, you don't have to answer this of course, but assuming you keep shabbat, in that you don't use the internet, don't turn lights on and off.
Have you ever experienced a bad shabbat.. ?
Have you ever experienced a shabbat at black hat relatives?
Can you describe and contrast the two?

I don't think people really have the background to understand my post. Usually people just lack the intelligence.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:32:53 PM by q_q_ »

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
Already did this I stopped Halloween 5 years ago
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh