Author Topic: What do you guys do when someone at work bugs you?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
What do you guys do when someone at work bugs you?
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »
You guys are among the most intelligent people I've come across and I needed your opinions:

I just got a new job and my "trainer" told my manager that I ask her too many questions (and the same ques).......My manager told me that she's there to answer ques and pretty much took my side. She does get aggravated when I ask her questions at times, but I don't want to tell my manager(since I'm new, I don't want to look like a complainer). People tell me that my "trainer" wants other workers to look bad. She ...It's a Union job, finance related, and this incident just turned me off..Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I don't even want to look at this creature when I go to work.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: What do you guys do when someone at work bugs you?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
I curse at them
Tell them to leave me the hell alone

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
Smile alot, even when not asking a question.

Tell this person some jokes to get them to lighten up a bit.

Maybe their nerves are shot so they get irritated/impatient alot.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »
Maybe I am lucky but my boss, although he complains and scowls at me from time to time for a variety of reasons, is basically a good guy. When I started here it used to bother me and I felt like he was 'picking' on me. But I realized if I just kept my cool and not let it bother me that my Boss will not hold a grudge against me. I have also seen him deal with other co-workers in a similar way, so it is not just his reaction to me... Did I say that my Boss is a great guy ;)

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
I curse at them
Tell them to leave me the hell alone

my first instinct

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »
F him up!

No, just kidding. Just do what u gotta do, and ignore him(her). Dont be unnecessarily aggressive, but dont show weakness and be shown as a push over.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
F him up!

No, just kidding. Just do what u gotta do, and ignore him(her). Dont be unnecessarily aggressive, but dont show weakness and be shown as a push over.

best advice..thnx Tzvi

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
i ignore them
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »
i ignore them

that's good too..thx Dan

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »
Take notes as often as you can so you don't have to ask the same questions over again.  Otherwise, I agree with Tzvi.  Don't let anyone aggravate you.  (I know it's easier said than done.)

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »
She's attracted to you, and wants you to ask her out. She just doesn't know how to ask. :teach:

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »
You guys are among the most intelligent people I've come across and I needed your opinions:

I just got a new job and my "trainer" told my manager that I ask her too many questions (and the same ques).......My manager told me that she's there to answer ques and pretty much took my side. She does get aggravated when I ask her questions at times, but I don't want to tell my manager(since I'm new, I don't want to look like a complainer). People tell me that my "trainer" wants other workers to look bad. She ...It's a Union job, finance related, and this incident just turned me off..Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I don't even want to look at this creature when I go to work.

this looks like that much of a problem..

if she gets aggravated and you don't like her, then that's good!!!!

it really doesn't matter much if she gets aggravated. (it only matters if the manager thinks you are asking too many questions, and that she shouldn't have to be bothered so much.  You should keep notes of generally of what you asked her and be able to justify it. So if she does claim that, you can respond with facts)

from the looks of things, she is getting herself into a problem if she refuses to do her job! she is also making herself look bad.. 

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:54:30 PM »
 8;)

Best analogy of the situation yet!

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
She's attracted to you, and wants you to ask her out. She just doesn't know how to ask. :teach:

She looks like a cross between Michael Moore and Ed Koch

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »

She looks like a cross between Michael Moore and Ed Koch

Do like the other poster said then: Document everything and present when confronted. :-[ This will be the smartest way, seriously.

Offline Minuteman

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »
Pull out a cigar.  Light it.  Take a drag.  Look at them.  Then blow smoke in their face.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 12:18:59 AM »
Try to use the situation as a way to gain inner strenght by being better than her and not reacting. Pray for guideance when she starts "pushing your buttons"

"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 12:21:33 AM »
Go all Mafia on the person :dance:

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »
Try to use the situation as a way to gain inner strenght by being better than her and not reacting. Pray for guideance when she starts "pushing your buttons"

You talk as if she is [censored] on him and he is meant to be silent and let it pass. That is a very non kahanist attitude.

ItalianZionist said she is just getting agitated. That is fine, let her get agitated.

I don't see why if she gets agitated, it should push ItalianZionist's buttons. Unless he seeks nice relationships with everybody.  If somebody is a bad person then you don't have to seek peace with them.. This is all very unkahanist behaviour.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
Go all Mafia on the person

A woman that looks like a man, is still a woman..Or rather, she's not a man.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 01:25:24 AM »

She is a person though, right?  :laugh:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »

You talk as if she is [censored] on him and he is meant to be silent and let it pass. That is a very non kahanist attitude.

ItalianZionist said she is just getting agitated. That is fine, let her get agitated.

I don't see why if she gets agitated, it should push ItalianZionist's buttons. Unless he seeks nice relationships with everybody.  If somebody is a bad person then you don't have to seek peace with them.. This is all very unkahanist behaviour.

I think that in a work situation you must be able to get along with your co-workers. It is one thing to not associate with them in social situations. I don't do anything social with the people I work with. But I do get along with them and they rely on me for my contribution to the project. Sometimes my bosses get a little attitude but for the most part I know that they are only human. Sometimes I take things the wrong way and I will usually apologize if I did something wrong.

I dont think that being dismissive or confrontational in work situations {professional} is a good strategy. Standing up for your principles is always important. About a year ago I was forced to accept a change in the Operating System our group used. For years we used RedHat Linux and now, for some reason, my boss wanted us all to switch over to Ubuntu. This decision REALLY [censored] me OFF because I was not consulted. It also greatly affected my projects because I am responsible for many of the scripts which are used to build the project. This change required me to re-write a chunk of scripts and re-build my debuggers and tools to work in the new OS. I told my boss I was very unhappy with the decision and I was almost inclined to walk off the job because I felt dishonored. But I grabbed onto Ubuntu linux, installed it on my home machines, and learned all there was to know about Ubuntu linux. My boss is very happy now with my performance in supporting the migration to the new OS. All in all I learned from this experience.

Stand strong for important principles but be flexible with people. I generally give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Even though I work with people of all faiths and colors I believe that we all share the desire for the product to be the best video decoder chip made.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 03:20:29 AM »

Your manager gave you the answer to this whole issue. The trainer is there to answer your questions. Don't be put off by her seeming to get aggravated when you ask a question she is getting paid to train people so make he do her job and ask away. Keep some notes so you have some of the procedures down but don't let her brow beat you into not asking about something now and then paying the price for it  at a later time when the boss thinks your fully trained. I sounds like your boss knows what the story is here so learn what you can from this ill mannered beast that's training you and then you will be in a better position to tell her to bug off. Don't complain to the manager it won't go over well. If the manager asks you something about this just smile and say  so and so gets slightly steamed because I like to ask questions. Be sure to tell the manager its because you want to be able to learn all you can now and not ask questions later. I do  labor relations in a union setting and I wish all my problems were this simple. The union factor can be a positive thing not all union shops are bad. You will be fine don't let coworkers like this get to you get what you can from her and ignore her attitude.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 08:02:39 AM »
Go all Mafia on the person :dance:

"What's the matter with you Santino? I think your brain's going soft from all that carnal you play with that young girl. Never tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking again!"

Ay yo, AmericanHero: There is NO Mafia! ;)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 09:07:54 AM »

She is a person though, right?  :laugh:

That depends on her personality ;-)

Strictly speaking, yes. But if that implies human rights, then not necessarily! A real bad guy certainly has no rights.

I don't think being a person carries any implications as to how they should be treated.  They could be bad ,good, male, female, logical, illogical.