Author Topic: Turritopsis nutricula: the world's only 'immortal' creature  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Turritopsis nutricula: the world's only 'immortal' creature
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:30:28 AM »
Turritopsis nutricula: the world's only 'immortal' creature

by Lech Mintowt-Czyz

Turritopsis nutricula may be the world’s only “immortal” creature.

Jellyfish usually die after propagating but Turritopsis reverts to a sexually immature stage after reaching adulthood and is capable of rejuvenating itself.

The 4-5mm diameter creature, technically known as a hydrozoan, is the only known animal that is capable of reverting to its juvenile polyp state.

Theoretically, this cycle can repeat indefinitely, rendering it potentially immortal.

Found in warm tropical waters Turritopsis is believed to be spreading across the world as ships’ ballast water is discharged in ports.

Though solitary, they are predatory creatures and mature asexually from a polyp stage.

The jellyfish and its reversal of the ageing process is now the focus of research by marine biologists and geneticists. It is thought to achieve the feat through the cell development process of transdifferentiation, in which cells transform from one type to another.

The switching of cell roles is usually seen only when parts of an organ regenerate. However, it appears to occur normally in the Turritopsis life cycle.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article5594539.ece

Never heard of something like this before. In some aspects this is remembering at the bird Phoenix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
Re: Turritopsis nutricula: the world's only 'immortal' creature
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:08:44 AM »
fascinating!
aka Someone Else

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:24 AM »
Im like "So what!"... I don't know what is so interesting about such an insignificant creature as this. Does this creature do anything for the betterment of the world? As much as I am in awe of the paramecium and the bacteria of the world I am in awe of this creature. Maybe they can figure out what its purpose is and put it to good use.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
Im like "So what!"... I don't know what is so interesting about such an insignificant creature as this. Does this creature do anything for the betterment of the world? As much as I am in awe of the paramecium and the bacteria of the world I am in awe of this creature. Maybe they can figure out what its purpose is and put it to good use.

Are you kidding!!!  :o This jellyfish returns itself to a younger age and restarts its life!  What if they could use that process for humans?  We could all be like Benjamin Button or something. 

Even if you wouldn't want to do that, it's pretty amazing that a jellyfish could do this.  Also, the jellyfish is worth more than Noam Chomsky.

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:26:57 AM »
Also, the jellyfish is worth more than Noam Chomsky.

:::D
aka Someone Else

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:30:28 AM »
aka Someone Else

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »
I am not sure if this creature can keep cycling like that indefinitely without degrading its DNA.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:15 AM »
This is very important. Science knows how and why humans age and eventually we will likely get to a point where aging is a thing of the past. Human cells can only multiply a certain number of times before too many mutations and degradations appear. The question will not be whether we can become "immortal", but whether we should. What is the Jewish response to proposed immortality? Is avoiding death a sin? It might be argued that if someone were to choose to die instead of accept this immortality they would be prematurely ending their life. If humans ever achieved this it would open a whole new world of ethical questions.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »

Muman.... I... along with a majority of people here, think this is absolutely fascinating.  ALSO, these anomalies of nature have led us to some amazing breakthroughs in medicine and health care in the past.

You need to stop being so jaded about everything.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
Muman, this is an amazingly arrogant post. Turritopsis is a creation of Hashem and we had better respect and admire it. Who knows--perhaps it does hold many biomedical secrets that will be vital to improving our lives, but regardless, it is an animal that G-d says is good (Genesis 1:25).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
Muman, this is an amazingly arrogant post. Turritopsis is a creation of Hashem and we had better respect and admire it. Who knows--perhaps it does hold many biomedical secrets that will be vital to improving our lives, but regardless, it is an animal that G-d says is good (Genesis 1:25).

Yes, and so is the bacteria and so is the paramecium. These creatures are all Hashems creation and not interesting to me. There are 1000s of microscopic and single-cell creatures in the world.

Everyone is entitled to be awed at anything they like. This creature is not so much awe inspiring to me. I am one who is awed by the more complex than the simple.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »

I am one who is awed by the more complex than the simple.

The simple shapes of leaves on a plant and wings on a bird influence nanobionics. You should be a bit more open minded about this Muman, you never know what can come of this!

Btw, there is nothing simple about this subject. G-d knows what kind of research it took to figure this out and what science is behind it.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
It is not immortal guys.  Don't get carried away.  THEORETICALLY, it can return to a more juvenile stage after mating, but I haven't read that it always does.  It can also be killed so it is not immortal.  Also, if this species were really immortal, wouldn't the seas be saturated with them?It's still pretty cool though. 

You can bet when Obama hears about this, he'll be getting his people to figure out everything there is to know about it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »
If you really stop to think about it, aging is a beautiful system. The body very gradually, and at a predetermined rate, just loses efficiency more and more. It was obviously instituted by Hashem for a reason.

No, I don't like aging, and support medical research into fighting it, but simple observation shows that it is anything but random and chaotic.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
It is not immortal guys.  Don't get carried away.  THEORETICALLY, it can return to a more juvenile stage after mating, but I haven't read that it always does.  It can also be killed so it is not immortal.  Also, if this species were really immortal, wouldn't the seas be saturated with them?

Er, actually that is the case, the seas kind of are saturated with them, recently, it's really bad.

Hey! Maybe we could figure out a way to extract oil from them!!!  ???

;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I think that this is great article. Does a  sea Jellies DNA have telemeres? I will have to look that up,  In Humans and other organisms it is the shorting of telemeres during DNA replication that is a primary cause of aging and death.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »
Im like "So what!"... I don't know what is so interesting about such an insignificant creature as this.

There are no insignificant creatures, especially when it comes to oceanic or aquatic life. All have something we can learn from them. All play a role in world ecology. God didn't think it was insigificant when He created these creatures.

Does this creature do anything for the betterment of the world? As much as I am in awe of the paramecium and the bacteria of the world I am in awe of this creature. Maybe they can figure out what its purpose is and put it to good use.

Yes the creature does better the world. Jellyfish like all life play roles in their ecosystems. Healthy ecosystems are better for us too. Also I agree with you that I hope they can learn enough from this creature to find more ways it can help human beings.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »

The idea is that geneticists will look at the DNA of this jellyfish and see what proteins are made to cause this transformation.  It's use maybe beneficial or harmful for society if something significant is discovered...such as a discovery of a specific protein which will cause immortal life to humans or trees or dogs or whatever.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »

Yes, and so is the bacteria and so is the paramecium. These creatures are all Hashems creation and not interesting to me. There are 1000s of microscopic and single-cell creatures in the world.

Everyone is entitled to be awed at anything they like. This creature is not so much awe inspiring to me. I am one who is awed by the more complex than the simple.

It's the simple things which give all the complex answers, Muman...The answers are right in front of us...we have to remember that being trivial all the time creates more confusion.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »
Muman was just asking about diversity of life, here's an example of diversity in the living world.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 11:35:45 PM »
Maybe Turritopsis will hold the keys to slowing down or even reversing some aspects of aging. It wouldn't be surprising.

And yeah, it is a very simple creature, but for the most part basic animal structures and proteins are fairly constant through the tree of animal life--in other words, chicken estrogen would have a noticeable impact on a human being if taken in a sufficient dose, etc.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 12:56:09 AM »
I think that this is great article. Does a  sea Jellies DNA have telemeres? I will have to look that up,  In Humans and other organisms it is the shorting of telemeres during DNA replication that is a primary cause of aging and death.

Actually Ive heard thats probably not the case, but that was an earlier theory.  I think shorteneing telemeres is one of many symptoms of the underlying aging process... ALSO there are certain species that age nearly the same as we do but NEVER have telemeres that shorten.  I think there is a species of rodent or rabbit like this.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 03:58:13 AM »
Muman,
I find your prejudice against jellyfish totally unacceptable.  :P :P :P

Seriously though, they found a jellyfish in Australia that has eight eyes and can swim faster than any human.  Just amazing!

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 05:09:20 AM »

Actually Ive heard thats probably not the case, but that was an earlier theory.  I think shorteneing telemeres is one of many symptoms of the underlying aging process... ALSO there are certain species that age nearly the same as we do but NEVER have telemeres that shorten.  I think there is a species of rodent or rabbit like this.

I know otherwise. Every Animal specie has telemeraz. Some kinds of microscopic worms have their DNA shaped like a torous and so they suffer no degradation due to replication. However I think they are incapable of sexual breeding.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »

I know otherwise. Every Animal specie has telemeraz. Some kinds of microscopic worms have their DNA shaped like a torous and so they suffer no degradation due to replication. However I think they are incapable of sexual breeding.

I think that is correct, that all animals have telemeres, I thought this was the cas but wanted to be sure. I looked it up in a very good genetics textbook. Telemere shortening leading to programed cell death is still the leading theroy for the underliying process of ageing in humans. Interestingly Telemeres have also been studied as a cause of neuro degeneritive disorders. As these protective caps break down over time, important genes are then exposed and damaged as a result of DNA replication.

It is very unfortunate that DNA is only capible of replicateing in one direction. In order to copy the other strand, the other side of the DNA ladder, DNA must be pulled into a loop stucture so that the protiens that are responsible for the correct "reading" of the DNA can do their work. The stress placed on the structure of DNA by this looping process causes the end part of the DNA to shear off.

Telemeres are like the plastic caps on the end of shoelaces. Once they wear down the DNA becomes damaged in the same way that a shoelace will fray once the plastic caps are gone. Over time this damage will extend to important genes needed for cell function. The end result of this is ageing and eventual death.

"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor