Author Topic: Interesting Article about Ovadia Yosefs opinion of smolmert.  (Read 8802 times)

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
Interesting Article about Ovadia Yosefs opinion of smolmert.
« on: February 27, 2009, 12:55:31 PM »
This is an article about a miracle that took place which saved the lives of Israeli soldiers. It really is a touching story which contradicts the Satmar's evil position on the zionists. Why would Rachel emeinu come to the aid of "Zionist soldiers" if they deserve to be punished as Satmar says? In any event, it's a truly touching story and a modern day miracle. The reason I am posting the article now is because they quoted Ovadia Yosef making a comment in praise of Smolmert. I will not attack a rabbi directly here so as not to upset Chaim but can someone explain to me the difference between that comment and those of a prostitute? Ovadia Yosef praises sMOLMERT who has been persecuting jews, spilling their blood, murdering Israeli Soldiers, torturing noam federman and more simply because Smolmert donated money to Ovadia Yosef's institution? Cmon, this just seems so wrong on all levels.

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef: A Beautiful, Young Rachel Saved IDF Soldiers

by Malkah Fleisher

(IsraelNN.com) A week after Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu confirmed the miracle story sweeping Israel – that the embodiment of the Matriarch Rachel saved the lives of soldiers in Gaza – Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef is now also declaring that the Jewish foremother came to the aid of the IDF.

A week ago, former Chief Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu revealed that despite his frail health, he had prayed three times at the tomb of the Matriarch Rachel prior to the Gaza war, telling the beloved wife of the Patriarch Jacob that she should beseech G-d to protect the Jews in the wake of an impending war.

Rabbi Eliyahu made the announcement after a story reached him of an old woman who reappeared before an IDF troop as they searched houses for Hamas terrorists.  Appearing in a matter of moments in three separate buildings, the woman - who called herself Rachel - warned soldiers not to enter buildings which were later discovered to have been booby trapped.

Rabbi Yosef rendered a different rendition of the story in his weekly Saturday night sermon.  He said that a beautiful young woman warned Jewish soldiers not to enter a Gaza building in which terrorists waited in ambush, whispering to the young men that her name was Rachel. Thanks to her warning, says the rabbi, the Jewish soldiers killed the terrorists inside.

Rabbi Yosef told his congregants that they should thank G-d for sending angels to save the Jewish people. He added words of praise for Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who Rabbi Yosef said gives millions of shekels to Shas party yeshivas and Torah schools.

While Rabbi Yosef is the long-time spiritual guide of the largely Sefardic Shas religious party, Rabbi Eliyahu has openly expressed his support for the religious Zionist National Union party, which he says will do the best job supporting the Torah, the Jewish People, and the settlement of the Land of Israel.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/129609
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Interesting Article about Ovadia Yosefs opinion of smolmert.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »
POLITICS!

That is what this is about. In order to play the game of politics he needs to slap the back of those who gave his party the money it needed to support the yeshivas. This doesnt make the Rabbi evil, it makes him a good politician. Personally I dont think Rabbis should lower themselves by  becoming politicians.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
POLITICS!

That is what this is about. In order to play the game of politics he needs to slap the back of those who gave his party the money it needed to support the yeshivas. This doesnt make the Rabbi evil, it makes him a good politician. Personally I dont think Rabbis should lower themselves by  becoming politicians.

But Muman, a rabbi is not supposed to stoop low and do anything for a dollar. Rabbis should not be corrupt businessmen. It's one thing if Rabbi Yosef praised someone who happened to donate to his institution but who happened to be righteous. In this case, he is praising the sone yisrael Ehud "prostate" smolmert who has been butchering the jews of yesha non stop since being elected. Smolmert has been torturing the yesha jews both psychologically and physically since he was elected. Every single day he threatened to expel another settlement. How could anyone have kind words for smolmert at any price. Their is no excuse for this.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »
At least Ovadia Yosef is being honest about receiving large cash sums from the Israeli establishment. Give him credit for that DownwithIslam!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
The story could be true.

I have discussed before a few monthes the first book of Samuel with an older friend of mine.

Some people believe, that this dead man who talked to Saul was not Samuel, but a demonic appearance.

But the bible is very clear here. There is written Samuel, so it was Samuel.

So the story of the soldiers and Rachel could be true too.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »
Quote from: IsraelNN.com
While Rabbi Yosef is the long-time spiritual guide of the largely Sefardic Shas religious party, Rabbi Eliyahu has openly expressed his support for the religious Zionist National Union party, which he says will do the best job supporting the Torah, the Jewish People, and the settlement of the Land of Israel.

You missed this DownwithIslam. This speaks a thousand words.

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
Some of you have to understand that when you are Chief Rabbi your comments are generally tempered by politics. Even Rav Eliyahu couldn't come out and say he was for Kahane back then even though he clearly supported him (Rav Eliyahu was Kahane's Rav).

The Shas run great yeshivas. I know many settlers who send their kids to those yeshivas. There is nothing wrong with giving thanks to those who help you.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »
The Shas run great yeshivas.

I don't think that teaching next generations of Jewish children that "the Arabs are our brothers" and that it is halachically permissible to surrender Biblical land to Amalek counts as a "great yeshiva".

But anyway, the question would be why the Israeli government (especially far-left Labor and Kadima governments) has given such huge sums to Shas over the past several decades. Surely you would agree that that is a reasonable thing to wonder about and ask.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
Some of you have to understand that when you are Chief Rabbi your comments are generally tempered by politics.

I forgot to add--the opposite should be true. A Chief Rabbi, because of his huge and enormous position, can say many more things than an average rabbi or politician can in Israel. A Chief Rabbi could get away with saying "throw all the Arabs out" whereas anybody else would be jailed for "racist incitement" for saying that. The issue isn't whether ROY has the ability to say what he wants, but whether he has a monetary stake in holding the opinions that he does. It looks to me as though Yosef's constant towing of the Israeli government's line, and his longtime receipt of generous financial backing from it, just might be related. What do you think?

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »
Some of you have to understand that when you are Chief Rabbi your comments are generally tempered by politics.

I forgot to add--the opposite should be true. A Chief Rabbi, because of his huge and enormous position, can say many more things than an average rabbi or politician can in Israel. A Chief Rabbi could get away with saying "throw all the Arabs out" whereas anybody else would be jailed for "racist incitement" for saying that. The issue isn't whether ROY has the ability to say what he wants, but whether he has a monetary stake in holding the opinions that he does. It looks to me as though Yosef's constant towing of the Israeli government's line, and his longtime receipt of generous financial backing from it, just might be related. What do you think?

You are 100% correct about this Chaimfan. As chief Rabbi, ROY had the ability to save the entire jewish people from this ongoing  slaughtering. He should of demanded that the arabs be thrown out. Instead, he comes out and expresses praise for a man who would of made hitler(yimach shmo) proud.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
And I might be mistaken, but didn't he once say Arafat was his friend (like around the time of Oslo)?

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »
Doing anything for a dollar is certainly not the way a rabbi should act. His comments should be based on the absolute truth, not dependent on who bribes him with gelt. If Mahmoud abbas gave a donation to him, would he say nice things about that hero as well?

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »

I don't think that teaching next generations of Jewish children that "the Arabs are our brothers" and that it is halachically permissible to surrender Biblical land to Amalek counts as a "great yeshiva".

But anyway, the question would be why the Israeli government (especially far-left Labor and Kadima governments) has given such huge sums to Shas over the past several decades. Surely you would agree that that is a reasonable thing to wonder about and ask.
CF, they teach Torah not politics.

And why would they give large sums of money to Shas? Simple, Shas supports them on votes for some issues the leftists need to pass so in return they get their yeshivas funded. The age old scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. This is pure politics.

Ideally yes, a Chief Rabbi should say what he wants but you have to understand that these Rabbis are voted by other Rabbis and approved by the government.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
Here is an article proving Ovadia Yosef enabled Oslo. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-67109445.html

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »

And why would they give large sums of money to Shas? Simple, Shas supports them on votes for some issues the leftists need to pass so in return they get their yeshivas funded. The age old scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. This is pure politics.

Ideally yes, a Chief Rabbi should say what he wants but you have to understand that these Rabbis are voted by other Rabbis and approved by the government.

Nadav, a man needs to base his words on the truth, not on who gave him a few sheckels. Their is no excuse for this.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
The age old scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. This is pure politics.
So the holiest sages in Israel are plain and simple political wheeler-dealers? I don't think I could possibly add anything to your own admission about Shas and its leader.

And once they are in that position they are virtually untouchable. By saying the word Yosef could command hundreds of not thousands, if not millions, of Israelis to rise up and overthrow the government right now. You notice that Muslim Nazi sheiks and imams in places like Egypt and Jordan are never afraid of their own governments, which are quite a bit nastier on average than Israel's.

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »

Nadav, a man needs to base his words on the truth, not on who gave him a few sheckels. Their is no excuse for this.
CF, DWI,

The Chief Rabbi doesn't vote on anything. He's giving thanks for the funding of yeshivas. Whats the problem here?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »
You don't find it a wee bit coincidental that ROY's position on the land of Eretz Israel is completely identical to the Israeli government's, and that the yeshivas that he owns get the highest level of funding of any yeshivas?

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »
CF

All the Rabbis do not agree with each other. When Kahane was running Kach not a single one of the Torah parties in the Knesset agreed with him. In fact, there was very few Torah parties that agreed with each other! People have different interpretations of Torah. I obviously happen to disagree with Rav Ovadia Yosef on his stance of land for peace. For example, he approved the giving back of the Sinai to Egypt which the Israeli did after his ruling. Again, his interpretation of Torah, but I disagree completely.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
All the Rabbis do not agree with each other. When Kahane was running Kach not a single one of the Torah parties in the Knesset agreed with him
Which speaks volumes about the nature of the so-called "Torah parties".

I obviously happen to disagree with Rav Ovadia Yosef on his stance of land for peace. For example, he approved the giving back of the Sinai to Egypt which the Israeli did after his ruling. Again, his interpretation of Torah, but I disagree completely.
And Oslo, don't forget. You say that it's his intepretation of Torah, but what a coincidence that his "interpretations of Torah" have always completely coincided with what the Israeli government at the time was saying, and the level of funding his schools got subsequently. BTW, Sinai was not a case of "land for peace". The Egyptian front was completely quiet. There was total peace (peace by victory, that is) at the time that the Sinai was surrendered.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
CF

All the Rabbis do not agree with each other. When Kahane was running Kach not a single one of the Torah parties in the Knesset agreed with him. In fact, there was very few Torah parties that agreed with each other! People have different interpretations of Torah. I obviously happen to disagree with Rav Ovadia Yosef on his stance of land for peace. For example, he approved the giving back of the Sinai to Egypt which the Israeli did after his ruling. Again, his interpretation of Torah, but I disagree completely.

Absolutely true and a good point. I do recognize that Rabbi Yosef is an accomplished scholar, and on the merit of this, I respect his opinions.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
Are you saying his opinions are right?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 03:59:29 PM »
Uh oh.  Here we go again with the fighting over R.O.Y. 

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about R.O.Y. 

But I'll tell you what.  If I ever hear of him coming to speak at a Synagogue, I'll be sure to post it here so everyone can come and hear him for themselves, and ask him questions.  R.O.Y. was once actually a speaker/guest at this Sephardic Synagogue on the Upper East Side a while back.  DownwithIslam, I'm sure you would love that. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
Yeah, if I could fly to New York I would do just that. Lisa, are Gentiles allowed in Sephardic Orthodox synagogues around where you live?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »
Yeah, if I could fly to New York I would do just that. Lisa, are Gentiles allowed in Sefardic Orthodox synagogues around where you live?

Of course they are.  Just put on a yarmulke when you go in.