Author Topic: Sorry to trouble you guys with my personal problems...  (Read 5116 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
Sorry to trouble you guys with my personal problems...
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
Sorry to trouble you guys with my personal problems..I think the people on this forum are the clearest thinkers out there and can offer the best advice....For the last couple of months I've been going through the most aggravating scenario I ever had in my life:

My brother moved to California. Now my parents want to move there. If I stay in NY, I'll have no family here (I'm single to top it off). I'm not sure if I want to go to California. I think the only benefit there is the weather. But if I stay here, I won't have any family. Most of my friends are married. I think California is a great place to live, but I'm afraid that I'll miss NY since I've lived here for so long. I have a fairly good job here. I'm not even motivated to look for a job there (not that there are any available). I would like to go, but I'm afraid that I'll regret it. I'm so SPLIT down the middle that it's tearing me apart..

What would you do? Any advice would be appreciated..Did anyone ever go  through a similar situation? Does anyone have experience with both LA/Orange County and New York?

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
Re: Sorry to trouble you guys with my personal problems...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »
Sorry to trouble you guys with my personal problems..I think the people on this forum are the clearest thinkers out there and can offer the best advice....For the last couple of months I've been going through the most aggravating scenario I ever had in my life:

My brother moved to California. Now my parents want to move there. If I stay in NY, I'll have no family here (I'm single to top it off). I'm not sure if I want to go to California. I think the only benefit there is the weather. But if I stay here, I won't have any family. Most of my friends are married. I think California is a great place to live, but I'm afraid that I'll miss NY since I've lived here for so long. I have a fairly good job here. I'm not even motivated to look for a job there (not that there are any available). I would like to go, but I'm afraid that I'll regret it. I'm so SPLIT down the middle that it's tearing me apart..

What would you do? Any advice would be appreciated..Did anyone ever go  through a similar situation? Does anyone have experience with both LA/Orange County and New York?

Try California!  You may like it, and you can always return to NY if you'd prefer.  Ahh, the job thing.
Have you ever visited California?  Maybe you could take a trip there to see if you'd like it.  You may meet someone in California (if you're looking) more easily than you would in NY... I don't know.  I would try to find a job in California and move there with family.  If there are no jobs, I'd stay in NY.
aka Someone Else

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »
It doesn't sound like you're thrilled at the prospect of leaving New York.  Otherwise, you would be more motivated to look for work out there.  Also, who says you need to decide right away?  Maybe you should pay your brother a visit once he gets settled there to see how you like it.  Otherwise, you're a young man.  You need to find yourself like-minded friends who are also single.  That goes for wherever you decide to live.  

On another note, you came to the first JTF get together, which I'm sure you enjoyed.  If you went to California, you wouldn't get to hang out with Chaim any more.  

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »

Try California!  You may like it, and you can always return to NY if you'd prefer.  Ahh, the job thing.
Have you ever visited California?  Maybe you could take a trip there to see if you'd like it.  You may meet someone in California (if you're looking) more easily than you would in NY... I don't know.  I would try to find a job in California and move there with family.  If there are no jobs, I'd stay in NY.

thnx Xoce,
   Have you lived in LA/orange  or NY? How do they compare? I've been to LA many times. I think it's kind of dead there compared to NY..

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »
The weather is great here.  Los Angeles is Obama-land.  One of the most leftist places around... and horribly crowded.  Its mostly Mexican of course.

Orange County is very different.  Mostly track-housing and mostly white.  Peaceful.... and wealthy.  Many people are moving there.  Real Estate is still very pricey there.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
It doesn't sound like you're thrilled at the prospect of leaving New York.  Otherwise, you would be more motivated to look for work out there.  Also, who says you need to decide right away?  Maybe you should pay your brother a visit once he gets settled there to see how you like it.  Otherwise, you're a young man.  You need to find yourself like-minded friends who are also single.  That goes for wherever you decide to live.  

On another note, you came to the first JTF get together, which I'm sure you enjoyed.  If you went to California, you wouldn't get to hang out with Chaim any more.  

thnx Lisa,
   I know...I'm sorry I missed it. For the last month or so, I'm ashamed to say, I've had so much anguish over this.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
The weather is great here.  Los Angeles is Obama-land.  One of the most leftist places around... and horribly crowded.  Its mostly Mexican of course.

Orange County is very different.  Mostly track-housing and mostly white.  Peaceful.... and wealthy.  Many people are moving there.  Real Estate is still very pricey there.

Briann ,

Are you from LA? How does LA/orange compare to NY? I've been to the Valley many times...LA and especially Orange seem very dead to me..I don't know if I'd be bored there..But then again I hate working in Manhattan..I'm so divided

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 10:10:53 PM »
I would say take a trip and see if you like it.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
I would say take a trip and see if you like it.

Actually, I've been there many times. I do like it. But when you were born and raised in NYC and have friends here, it's so hard to leave. I'm like terrified that I'll regret going ::)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »
LA and Orange County aren't radically different... there's more of a gradient than a sudden change. Generally the further east you go in Los Angeles County (after Los Angeles itself) the better the neighborhoods get, with some exceptions. Extreme eastern L.A. Co and western Orange Co. are essentially identical--middle-class family neighborhoods. West-central Orange County (Fullerton and Anaheim) has a major Muslim Nazi problem. South Orange County (Irvine to the San Diego county line) is rich and snobby.

West Los Angeles is a nice place to live but super-expensive and super-leftist. The cost of living in general here sucks; only San Francisqueer and New York are worse in this regard. Oh, and it's hella hard to find any work right now here too, and it's the least-friendly climate for start-up businesses anywhere in the nation.

Politically it is all very left-wing. OC used to be a bastion of conservatism, but it went for Obama this election. Many of the so-called OC "conservatives" are libertarians actually--meaning that they are flaming leftists on moral issues. Best bet for true conservatism is extreme eastern Los Angeles County and northwestern Orange County.

There are lots of Hispanics all over of course, but some of the Hispanic-majority cities in Los Angeles County (excluding L.A. proper) have decent and middle-class neighborhoods. Stay away from Santa Ana in Orange County, which should be renamed Jalisco.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »
LA and Orange County aren't radically different... there's more of a gradient than a sudden change. Generally the further east you go in Los Angeles County (after Los Angeles itself) the better the neighborhoods get, with some exceptions. Extreme eastern L.A. Co and western Orange Co. are essentially identical--middle-class family neighborhoods. West-central Orange County (Fullerton and Anaheim) has a major Muslim Nazi problem. South Orange County (Irvine to the San Diego county line) is rich and snobby.

West Los Angeles is a nice place to live but super-expensive and super-leftist. The cost of living in general here sucks; only San Francisqueer and New York are worse in this regard. Oh, and it's hella hard to find any work right now here too, and it's the least-friendly climate for start-up businesses anywhere in the nation.

Politically it is all very left-wing. OC used to be a bastion of conservatism, but it went for Obama this election. Many of the so-called OC "conservatives" are libertarians actually--meaning that they are flaming leftists on moral issues. Best bet for true conservatism is extreme eastern Los Angeles County and northwestern Orange County.

There are lots of Hispanics all over of course, but some of the Hispanic-majority cities in Los Angeles County (excluding L.A. proper) have decent and middle-class neighborhoods. Stay away from Santa Ana in Orange County, which should be renamed Jalisco.

thnx CF,
 Do you know about LaBrea and Placienta in OC?  do you live in LA CF?

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »

thnx Xoce,
   Have you lived in LA/orange  or NY? How do they compare? I've been to LA many times. I think it's kind of dead there compared to NY..

Well, LA is not NY of course ; )  nothing is New York!  Highways, freeways, beaches, Mexicans, lol.
California is laid back.  Try it for some variety, I'd say.  You're single so it's not like you'd be uprooting anyone but yourself.  If you hate it, move back to New York.  I've lived in the bay area and had family in Irvine.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:34:28 PM by xoce »
aka Someone Else

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »

Are there many muslims in Fullerton? I thought it was a good area? I heard  south of commonwealth ave it's a Mexican area?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »
La Brea is a district of West Los Angeles. Brea and Placentia are in Orange County and both are decent places to live--conservative neighborhoods, not too pricey.

West Fullerton is the best part of Fullerton.

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »
You ought to visit out there and see if you like it.  I have heard some pretty good things about O.C!!  I would stay out of L.A.  I have alway's heard good things about San Diego which is close to O.C.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »

I picked up and moved out of my Mothers house when I was 18 and moved to California where I knew nobody. I was a bit afraid at the time but I had no problem meeting and making friends. I moved from Stamford,CT to Marina Del Rey, CA and I LOVED IT.... Because I was young I got into going to the beach, going to Hollywood and all the cool spots including the Santa Monica pier.

I consider it my Lech Lecha moment {"Go for yourself" from our Holy Torah}. I believe every man who needs to grow up to go out from his parents house. LA is a very big place... The only negative, and one of the reasons I moved up to the San Francisco area, was because the smog is very bad in the inland areas of LA. Luckily when I lived in LA I always lived on the beach...

Good Luck..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
Did anyone ask the following:  Do you have a driver's license?  Unlike New York City, you need a car out there to get around.  And a car is a big expense.  Just ask anyone who owns one.  Also: How long can you afford to live without money coming in?  I assume that you have a job now?  Are people hiring for what you do in California?  My guess is that they are not, since most companies are laying people off.  Are you very close with your brother?  That certainly would be an asset if you went there.  It's very hard to say whether you should go without knowing these facts and others.  I always feel that you should go with your heart.  Although that doesn't always hold true either.  Because you could end up going there and having the greatest time of all.  The hard part is that you'll never know if you don't try.  But I will say this:  You shouldn't move out there without going there first to see if it's up your alley.  Because New York City it isn't. 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 12:14:37 AM »
yeah, stay out of L.A.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 12:35:33 AM »
Downtown sucks. Most other parts of LA proper are ghettos. West Los Angeles and South Orange County are nice but snooty and super-expensive.

If you can deal with the leftism and obscene taxation and lack of jobs though SoCal is actually a great place to live.

BTW, about that vaunted SoCal weather: if you don't like 3+ weeks of 105F or higher temperatures each year, stay within 10 miles of the coast. If you must have full sun and hate periodic fog and haze, stay 20 miles or more inland.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 01:01:25 AM »
I lived in San Clemente before, which is a little North of San Diego, that's a really nice little town. It has a nice pier with a restaurant and people go surfing out there every day. Lots of nice little shops there and the people are really  nice.

It's beautiful out there in San Clemente.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:21:36 AM by ~Hanna~ »
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 01:24:33 AM »
Kind of hippyish though if I'm not mistaken.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »
Kind of hippyish though if I'm not mistaken.

Not really, more like surfer dudes all over the place, lol...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
Downtown sucks. Most other parts of LA proper are ghettos. West Los Angeles and South Orange County are nice but snooty and super-expensive.

If you can deal with the leftism and obscene taxation and lack of jobs though SoCal is actually a great place to live.

BTW, about that vaunted SoCal weather: if you don't like 3+ weeks of 105F or higher temperatures each year, stay within 10 miles of the coast. If you must have full sun and hate periodic fog and haze, stay 20 miles or more inland.
AHA! So the JTF's most awesome goy lives in L.A.!

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
San Clemente's nice, right on the coast..... ;D
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »

Briann ,

Are you from LA? How does LA/orange compare to NY? I've been to the Valley many times...LA and especially Orange seem very dead to me..I don't know if I'd be bored there..But then again I hate working in Manhattan..I'm so divided

Yes, Im in LA but many of my relatives have moved to Orange County.

California has so much to do if you are outdoorsy.  You are near the beach, the mountains, and the desert all at the same time.

The beaches in Orange County are MUCH nicer than the ones in Los Angeles.  Much cleaner.

However. if you want something with nightlife, Los Angeles is more to your tune.  But again... there are a lot of weirdos there, and in the long term... I really think you would regret moving there.

Orange County lacks cultural diversity.  Its mostly white with a little East-Asian.  Mostly WASPY.  My sister always complains that she has to travel a bit to eat ethnic food.  There are areas of Orange County that are very similar to Los Angeles... Santa Ana is one of them..heavily hispanic... it also has a large Vietnamese population there (Largest in the country).

BUT Orange County has some of the safest large cities in the country.  Especially in areas like Mission Viejo.

If you are areas like Irvine... it is pretty much one large track housing area... very little character... but again... extremely safe.