Author Topic: My nieces are afraid of me  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
Re: My nieces are afraid of me
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »
Gifts= leared responce ie they will like you , its true.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 06:11:34 PM »
Gifts= leared responce ie they will like you , its true.

I used to be scared of adults when I was a kid.

Puppets are less intimidating.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:21 PM »
Hmm...
Interesting. Kids and animals are always friendly with me.

Me too... I was surprised when my Rabbis young kids just came up and started to talk with me. They were really enjoying talking with me and both of them were entirely comfortable with me. I also have a good nature with animals and most cats and dogs are eager to become friends with me.

My recommendation is to speak softly and be concerned with what the child is doing. Ask questions like "What are you doing in school?" or "What fun things do you do?". By engaging the children in questions you draw them towards you. It is especially important for a Jewish man to be able to teach the children about the story of Passover. This is always done using questions and answers {i.e. the four questions}.

Mazel Tov!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »

Sigh, just try the bribery, you'll change from scary Uncle Vito, to Uncle Vito the one with the prezzies!  :)

and Uncle Vito with the cool puppets.... ;D
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »
Try something really different for a change...perhaps you can take them to the Park to fly a kite or take them on a fishing trip. I think being outside may help the situation. Kids love to go out and there are tons of places you can take them.
Doing something out of the ordinary might help them change their current image of you.

Shalom & Good Luck  - Dox

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Try something really different for a change...perhaps you can take them to the Park to fly a kite or take them on a fishing trip. I think being outside may help the situation. Kids love to go out and there are tons of places you can take them.
Doing something out of the ordinary might help them change their current image of you.

Shalom & Good Luck  - Dox
That is a great suggestion republicandox.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
Watch a child show, cartoon, etc. with them, preferably something funny.
If that doesn't work, there are 2 things that always work with children (I was a teacher for years Vito, I found this out the hard way):

1) toys
                              2) sweets

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »
Hmm...
Interesting. Kids and animals are always friendly with me.

Me too... I was surprised when my Rabbis young kids just came up and started to talk with me. They were really enjoying talking with me and both of them were entirely comfortable with me. I also have a good nature with animals and most cats and dogs are eager to become friends with me.

My recommendation is to speak softly and be concerned with what the child is doing. Ask questions like "What are you doing in school?" or "What fun things do you do?". By engaging the children in questions you draw them towards you. It is especially important for a Jewish man to be able to teach the children about the story of Passover. This is always done using questions and answers {i.e. the four questions}.

Mazel Tov!

In kindergarten, and in elementary schools (when I visited my old schools etc) the little kids also went to me, and started talking and invited me to play.  :dance:
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »
I'm a girl and don't have that sort of trouble,  (:-* girls) but... since you're a guy, and apparently an intimidating guy that girls are scared of, here's my guy advice from experience:

My ex-boyfriend took my little relative (4 year old girl) out shopping for her birthday, and told her he'd buy anything she wanted.  She was in disbelief for a while, but when she realized he was serious, well  :D she needless to say, wholeheartedly obliged.  They went to a children's "jewelry" store first (which is inexpensive), and then to a toy store or two, and in between bought a huge lollipop.  After shopping, they took photos at a photo booth together.  It was really sweet and cute.  They had the biggest smiles.
When they got back and she was trying on her jewelry, he even let her put some on him, and laugh at him.

kind of going along with that, a word of caution...
don't make fun of *them.*  If you're going to make fun of anyone, it better be of yourself.  You're there to entertain THEM, not to get a kick out of them, and certainly not at their expense.  For example, when the little one runs into the corner with her little doll, don't laugh.  Girls are sensitive.  It hurts.

oh, he also bought her (she didn't choose it) but he bought her a remote controlled car.  Now, this was interesting because little girls don't usually care for or play with cars or other "boy" stuff.  Well, it was a really fun car that can basically go upside down/crazy, and he nicely showed her how to "navigate."  She loved it.  They bonded, lol, and the car is forever associated with him.  (The "jewelry" gets lost over time)

(or you can get a toy motorcycle, LoL... but I would still recommend a car)

Sooo, with all the presents, she still asks about him, lol.  It wasn't all that expensive.  It's an investment :)  If you do this, you may want to talk to your brother before because it may cause them to like you more than their parents, or the parents may think you're "spoiling" them... (but so what)
Also, if you want to let the parents have some control over the presents, keep the receipts and give them to the parents.  If they want to return something, they can, but they will also get the blame.  LoL.

so, like others suggested, bribery works.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:22:56 PM by Xoce »
aka Someone Else