Author Topic: Help gaining weight, i'm having problems  (Read 4468 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Help gaining weight, i'm having problems
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »
I need help gaining weight, I been trying to eat as much as I can since I got out of the hospital and I been dropping weight way too fast, i'm already down to 190 (i was 260 about 2 months ago) and down to a size 36 (which are not even fitting me now, I used to wear a 42). I been trying to eat junk food or whatever I can and now i'm down to 190 pounds, starting to worry me. I haven't been working out or active either. Any suggestions?

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Help gaining weight, i'm having problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »
I need help gaining weight, I been trying to eat as much as I can since I got out of the hospital and I been dropping weight way too fast, i'm already down to 190 (i was 260 about 2 months ago) and down to a size 36 (which are not even fitting me now, I used to wear a 42). I been trying to eat junk food or whatever I can and now i'm down to 190 pounds, starting to worry me. Any suggestions?

Eat greek food and lounge around

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Not that I want to advise against Chaim or the law... But smoke some weed... It will increase your appetite...

But seriously... You need something to increase your appetite.

PS: I am only joking about the weed... You need to talk to a doctor about what to do...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:17:29 PM »
You might have an under active thyroid

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
I wonder if it's my kidney problem, that bactrim doesn't do crap, maybe i'm not retaining water.

Moshe92

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:19:58 PM »
Why do you want to try to gain weight? 190 is a much healthier weight than 260.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »

Little different circumstances, i'm rapidly losing weight everyday without doing anything, i don't think that's normal.

Moshe92

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »

Little different circumstances, i'm rapidly losing weight everyday without doing anything, i don't think that's normal.

I don't think eating unhealthy foods is ever a good solution, but you should ask a doctor what to do.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »
If you are not starving or feeling physically ill I personally would not at all worry at all.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
just no energy and feel tired all the time.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »
Start lifting weights and eating right

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
I wonder if it's my kidney problem, that bactrim doesn't do crap, maybe i'm not retaining water.

First off going from 260-190 in 2 months is not very good at all. Also why are you on bactrim for? Its a strong antibiotic, I was on it and it didn't kill my appetite. But everyone is different. If you are looking to gain weight may I suggest foods thats low in fiber?

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »

First off going from 260-190 in 2 months is not very good at all. Also why are you on bactrim for? Its a strong antibiotic, I was on it and it didn't kill my appetite. But everyone is different. If you are looking to gain weight may I suggest foods thats low in fiber?

That much weight in that time is not bad because Last year I went from 298 to 247 in 1 week

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »
just no energy and feel tired all the time.

It could be a thyroid issue.   Please ask a doctor, tell him your symptoms and see what he says.   That is a huge amount of weight loss.  If it continues, that can be very dangerous, or is a sign of something else dangerous going on in your system.  So please get it checked out and the doctors will know what to do to treat it.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »

If the bactrim does not work, ask your Doctor to give you Ciprofloxacin. It's stronger than bactrim and works great to knock out kidney infections.

I hope you feel better soon.

Shalom - Dox

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »

How tall are you? I wouldn't try to gain the weight back, I'd just try to find out what's wrong, stabilize and stop losing, you don't want to go back to having a 42 inch waist do you? Why would you want to do that? But if you are experiencing rapid unexplained weight loss, and lethargy, definitely go see a doctor about it, and get yourself tested, diagnosed and have the problem addressed.

Coincidentally I just dropped 40 lbs myself, but intentionally, I started at 230 and am now at 190 too, I went from a 36 inch waist to a comfortable/loose 34 inch waist (I'm 6' 1"), I like being leaner, I look better and I'm more energetic. 

Side note to those of you interested in losing weight, try the Paleo diet, that's the one I've been on, it's very effective and very healthy, google it, "The Paleo Diet".
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »
5ft10

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
I remember I went to Mexico and was vicitim to the bacteria there. Despite an uncomfortable plane ride back, and a few days of stomach problems I lost 20 pounds and felt great for next year. Hopefully this is a gift from G-d.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
5ft10

Then there is no need to worry yet. Maybe the weight loss is a positive side effect of the surgery.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »
Lift weights.

Rapid weight loss is a serious problem.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
It's good you're losing weight.  But if you're worried about it, see your doctor.  Otherwise, I would not purposely try to gain weight by eating unhealthy foods.  Just make sure there's no other problem first.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
It could be a thyroid issue.   Please ask a doctor, tell him your symptoms and see what he says.   That is a huge amount of weight loss.  If it continues, that can be very dangerous, or is a sign of something else dangerous going on in your system.  So please get it checked out and the doctors will know what to do to treat it.

The only abnormal thing that would really cause sudden and drastic weight loss is advanced cancer, and I think he would know if he had that.

Otherwise it is much better to be losing than gaining weight under almost all circumstances. Even the thyroid issue is generally pretty easily treatable if that indeed is what it is.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »
Lift weights..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »
5ft10? Then 190 is an okay weight, you're definitely not too skinny at this point, if I remember correctly the formula for figuring out a good weight for your height is 110 for the first 5 feet, plus 7lbs for every inch over 5 feet (give or take 10% depending on your frame), so 110 plus 70 = 180 (plus or minus 18 lbs depending on your frame size), so 190 is definitely within that range .

But like I mentioned before, if the rapid weight loss and lethargy persists, absolutely go to the doctor!
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.