Author Topic: Great speech by real President Ronald Reagan  (Read 2657 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Great speech by real President Ronald Reagan
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Great speech by real President Ronald Reagan
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »
Sorry, can't be a big fan of his after Bitburg and what he did to Jonathan Pollard. Don't forget that he was extremely close to both Fag Buchanus and the Saudi royals as well.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »
Sorry, can't be a big fan of his after Bitburg and what he did to Jonathan Pollard. Don't forget that he was extremely close to both Fag Buchanus and the Saudi royals as well.
He was about as good as we are likely to get anytime soon. He did have a few issues but after living through the Carter years Reagan was a blessing.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
Less bad than Carter doesn't mean good.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:42 PM »
I agree with you there but for me Reagan was a good president. No president will ever do everything right but Reagan believed in America and the American people. He tried his best. We must also remember Reagan did not have one of the most compliant congresses so it was not always easy to get a conservative agenda through without compromise.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
Reagan saved America at a time when we were challenged around the world. I lived through that time, and voted for Reagan in 1984... I am very proud that I voted for him because I am sure that if the democrats retained power this country would have been extinct in the late early 90s...

History will remember Reagan as one of the last great leaders of the free world.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:35:02 PM »
"Saved America"? Let's not overestimate things. He slightly slowed down the fast track to Gehenom that Jimmy-hat Farter had set the nation on. He was better than Farter, but my pet rabbit would be a better president than Farter, so that's not saying much. His numerous backstabs of the Jewish people--including him in essence declaring war on Israel by sending the Marines to Lebanon to go protect Arafat--are utterly unforgivable, as are his numerous betrayals of the American people (i.e. his hobnobbing with the Saudi "royals", mass outsourcing of jobs to Red China, and amnesty of 3 million illegal aliens).

I can say with perfect confidence that this swine got exactly what he deserved in his lengthy struggle with Alzheimer's. Yimach schmo vezichro to this human sewer rat.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »
Reagan saved America at a time when we were challenged around the world. I lived through that time, and voted for Reagan in 1984... I am very proud that I voted for him because I am sure that if the democrats retained power this country would have been extinct in the late early 90s...

History will remember Reagan as one of the last great leaders of the free world.

Muman, I agree with you and your opinion about Reagan.

Every man is imperfect and that is inclusive of American Presidents.
Reagan was an imperfect man but, so were the rest of the Presidents.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »

Muman, I agree with you and your opinion about Reagan.

Every man is imperfect and that is inclusive of American Presidents.
Reagan was an imperfect man but, so were the rest of the Presidents.

I agree too.
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
I always liked Reagan and have been a member of the Reagan Ranch  ... Young America's Foundation for years now. They are the people that keep the Reagan's Ranch going for people to visit. The also run a foundation geared to the ideas of Ronald Reagan.
Visit the Reagan Ranch....
http://www.yaf.org/VirtualTour.aspx

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »
I am willing to say that Reagan was the best president ever in my lifetime...

And it doesn't matter to me that Bones curses him... He is too tough in his judgment. I can only imagine how bad America would be if not for Reagan. Thank Hashem for his appearance on the political horizon. I would be interested in who would have done a better job in 1980?

PS: My father has a signed picture of Reagan which he got due to this involvement with the Republican party for many years...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Shiptar

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:31 PM »
Even if you dont like Reagan, he has to be admired for his role in taking down that evil thing called communism. Tens of millions of Europeans were liberated thanks in part to him.

Another thing he did was bring back a sense of pride and America's excellence. The backlash from Vietnam and then Carter's disastrous term made Americans feel almost ashamed of who they were. Reagan turned that around, ppl were becoming proud and patriotic again.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
I always liked Reagan and have been a member of the Reagan Ranch  ... Young America's Foundation for years now. They are the people that keep the Reagan's Ranch going for people to visit. The also run a foundation geared to the ideas of Ronald Reagan.
Visit the Reagan Ranch....
http://www.yaf.org/VirtualTour.aspx
Thanks for the link. 
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
Even if you dont like Reagan, he has to be admired for his role in taking down that evil thing called communism. Tens of millions of Europeans were liberated thanks in part to him.

Another thing he did was bring back a sense of pride and America's excellence. The backlash from Vietnam and then Carter's disastrous term made Americans feel almost ashamed of who they were. Reagan turned that around, ppl were becoming proud and patriotic again.

Very true....
And, some valid points.....

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
I loved Reagan.  No one is perfect, only God is.  But he was I think the best president in the 20th Century.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 02:35:17 AM »
There have been two kinds of presidents in the 20th and 21st centuries: bad and awful. I do not think that the "bad" presidents should be exalted just because they could have been worse.

If Reagan were really so excellent, he would have really changed the course of America and saved us from the brink. He certainly had a mandate to by his win margin. Instead he gave us another five years, tops. He could run an economy better than Carter but that's not saying much. His foreign policy wasn't much better--he wasn't constantly denouncing white South Africa the way Carter did, but behind closed doors he brutally pressured the white government to commit national suicide.

I really want to see the Reagan supporters here explain away the following:

--his total inaction on abortion
--his second-term flipflop on education, which really marked the start of today's spendthrift GOP whores
--the whole Bitburg incident
--his close friendships with Pat Buchanan and the Saudi "princes"
--his amnesty of 3 million illegals
--his legitimization of the Soviet dictator Gorbachev
--his normalizing relations with Red Nazi China, leading to the losses of tens of millions of American jobs
--his deployment of the Marines to defend Yasser Arafat
--his railroadings of Jonathan Pollard and Chaim Ben Pesach

One last thing that I might add is that the greatest accomplishment he is credited with, the collapse of the Soviet Union, was not his doing at all. The Soviet Union was already going bankrupt and moribund long before Reagan took office; it was already dying. All Reagan did was give the Soviet Nazis a lot of free positive publicity by embracing the lying snake Gorbachev's "glasnost".

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 06:26:04 AM »
When i look and hear Ronald Reagan i see and hear a President.When i hear osama obama i see and hear a slppery snake oil salesman,a mack daddy pimp
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 06:51:11 AM »
You're correct that Reagan certainly made his share of mistakes.

I don't think it's entirely innacurate or unfair to think that Reagan's popularity is due in large part to the fact that it's easy to like almost anyone after enduring Jimmy Carter.

Still, I don't think we should be ysv'ng President Reagan or calling him a sewer rat.

Call me a sentimental sap, but I liked Reagan during his presidency and I still like him today.

Something about the man was very endearing to me. He just didn't have that stench of evil and ineptitude that his predecessor and the current occupant of the White House exude. No, I don't think RR was evil.

I liked his debating style. Some very good moments there. Heck, I even liked the way he began every sentence with 'well...'. Even if the perception wasn't truth, Reagan seemed down to earth and genuine.

Of course, if you lived through the Iran hostage years, you'll remember vividly the malaise America was experiencing. Hostages languishing for over a year, a disastrous failed rescue mission, and Khomeini making the USA appear to be a weak paper tiger worthy of disdain and ridicule. That changed immediately when Reagan took office. Historians will rightfully state that the behind the scenes dealings of the Iran-contra affair tarnish this accomplishment, but the uplift America felt when Reagan took office and the hostages were released is undeniable.

Then we have to remember how screwed up the economy was when RR took office. Unbelievably high interest rates and unemployment. RR was ridiculed for his 'trickle down' economics, but under his administration the economy recovered and the market boomed.

One other great thing about Reagan was how he drove the liberals and Demonrats absolutely crazy. How could you not like that ?

Some other factors to keep in mind vis a vis Reagan and Israel:

Unlike his predecessor Carter's pressuring of Begin into a 'peace' deal, and his successor Clinton's Rose Garden moment with Rabin and Arafat, there wasn't quite as much pressure on Israel to commit suicide under Reagan. However, one must admit his handling of Beirut, Arafat, and the Marine bombing was horrendous.

One other incident gives us insight into the Reagan presidency and Israel. That would be his reaction to the fantastically executed and successful Israeli raid on the reactor at Osirak and the destruction of Saddam's nuclear ambitions.

When RR was informed of the Israeli action, his response was 'They did what ?'. After being told again exactly what had occurred and that it was done with U.S. made F-16's, Reagan thought it over for a moment, and just said, 'Well, boys will be boys'. Of course his cabinet of James Baker and George Bush Sr. and the State Department went absolutely nuts and demanded the harshest imaginable retributions against Israel. Thankfully, Reagan didn't listen to those morons and instead agreed with Alexander Haig, who was the lone member of his cabinet that told the President, 'before this is over we'll be on our knees thanking G-d Israel took this action'. Israel was scolded, but no punitive actions were taken against her.

I don't know if Reagan was a great President, but I don't think he was a bad one. There's little doubt he was the best of the recent ones. He doesn't deserve to be ysv'd or called a sewer rat.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »
The sad fact of the issue is that if we sat down and dissected every presidency starting with Washington to what we have today we could each find a list of things with every one  of them that we would not like. In the past presidents came to office with a wish list of policies they would like to see advanced. If the issues had traction they often made their way through the system and were put into law. However if they were not they often would be sidelined. Abortion is one of the issues like that. Reagan was only going to get so much support on this issue from his party and very little from the opposition. Back then the Democrats still held the  majority in the Senate if I remember correctly Tip O'Neil was the house majority whip. The place was full of New Deal Democrats that were not very happy about loosing the White House. Reagan was able to deal with this group and often get a half a loaf from them where people often thought the situation was hopeless. For me this is the mark of a good president get as much as you can for the people that put you into office and Reagan did just that. Did he do things that were not right... Yes he did..... Some were trade offs, some were oversights, and others may have been for political paybacks. The presidency is a rough game you have to deal and I think all said and done Reagan did a good job.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »
You're correct that Reagan certainly made his share of mistakes.

I don't think it's entirely innacurate or unfair to think that Reagan's popularity is due in large part to the fact that it's easy to like almost anyone after enduring Jimmy Carter.

Still, I don't think we should be ysv'ng President Reagan or calling him a sewer rat.

Call me a sentimental sap, but I liked Reagan during his presidency and I still like him today.

Something about the man was very endearing to me. He just didn't have that stench of evil and ineptitude that his predecessor and the current occupant of the White House exude. No, I don't think RR was evil.

I liked his debating style. Some very good moments there. Heck, I even liked the way he began every sentence with 'well...'. Even if the perception wasn't truth, Reagan seemed down to earth and genuine.

Of course, if you lived through the Iran hostage years, you'll remember vividly the malaise America was experiencing. Hostages languishing for over a year, a disastrous failed rescue mission, and Khomeini making the USA appear to be a weak paper tiger worthy of disdain and ridicule. That changed immediately when Reagan took office. Historians will rightfully state that the behind the scenes dealings of the Iran-contra affair tarnish this accomplishment, but the uplift America felt when Reagan took office and the hostages were released is undeniable.

Then we have to remember how screwed up the economy was when RR took office. Unbelievably high interest rates and unemployment. RR was ridiculed for his 'trickle down' economics, but under his administration the economy recovered and the market boomed.

One other great thing about Reagan was how he drove the liberals and Demonrats absolutely crazy. How could you not like that ?

Some other factors to keep in mind vis a vis Reagan and Israel:

Unlike his predecessor Carter's pressuring of Begin into a 'peace' deal, and his successor Clinton's Rose Garden moment with Rabin and Arafat, there wasn't quite as much pressure on Israel to commit suicide under Reagan. However, one must admit his handling of Beirut, Arafat, and the Marine bombing was horrendous.

One other incident gives us insight into the Reagan presidency and Israel. That would be his reaction to the fantastically executed and successful Israeli raid on the reactor at Osirak and the destruction of Saddam's nuclear ambitions.

When RR was informed of the Israeli action, his response was 'They did what ?'. After being told again exactly what had occurred and that it was done with U.S. made F-16's, Reagan thought it over for a moment, and just said, 'Well, boys will be boys'. Of course his cabinet of James Baker and George Bush Sr. and the State Department went absolutely nuts and demanded the harshest imaginable retributions against Israel. Thankfully, Reagan didn't listen to those morons and instead agreed with Alexander Haig, who was the lone member of his cabinet that told the President, 'before this is over we'll be on our knees thanking G-d Israel took this action'. Israel was scolded, but no punitive actions were taken against her.

I don't know if Reagan was a great President, but I don't think he was a bad one. There's little doubt he was the best of the recent ones. He doesn't deserve to be ysv'd or called a sewer rat.
Excellent post!! Very well said!!

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:19 AM »
Perception is everything, isn't it?

An aura of greatness surrounds Reagan to this day in the eyes of the right similar to the aura surrounding Menachem Begin in Israel. Because of his perceived credentials and the credibility he has for it, the bad things that Reagan has done are filtered out in that light rather than taken at face value. It's similar to the excuses that conservatives today make for Dubya. One telling sign of all this are the kinds of emotion-based expressions seen in this thread ("something about the president was very endearing to me" and the like). Yes, he was "endearing"--he was a master of communication. Obama is a really good speaker too (so long as he has his teleprompter). What exactly does this prove other than that he was blessed with good rhetorical gifts?

For the record, Reagan was not elected as a "weak" president, but one who carried a strong electoral mandate from his margin of victory. With the kind of leadership that he held and the amount of respect the American people had for him, he could have fired off a few executive orders on abortion. I will grant that he could implement so much of the conservative agenda with a Democratic Congress but the Democrats in Congress did not force him to be best buds with Fag Buchanus or lynch Jonathan Pollard. On every decision where he DID have full control, he chose the evil side nearly every time. I'll give him some credit like I did earlier for having a fairly good basic grasp of how to run an economy, but that doesn't make him moral or Biblical in any way.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »
In Reagan's time executive orders were used very sparingly. Mostly for smaller issues not for ones like abortion. Even today something like that would be a red flag. As for Buchanan he was a far different bird then he is today... While never good on the issue of Israel he did carry a good deal of clout with the right wing of the party and did control a great deal of grass root support back then. It's sad to see how he has now completely showed his true colors in the past few years cavorting with the liberal scum on TV. You do have some tough standards and most of our past presidents could never make the grade. I think whats is coming in the future wont either. Society has changed to some extent and I think that the country is very evenly divided on social issues. With a situation like that its going to be hard for any president to take far right positions and gain office. The best we can hope for is a centrist president with right leaning policy. Reagan fit well into that camp.   

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:36 AM »
You bet perception is everything.

But you're mistaken if you think that merely being 'blessed with good rehetorical gifts' or being a 'master of communication' is why Reagan is so revered by many people.

As you point out, Obama is considered a great communicator, but I'll bet you when his reign is over he's going to be reviled.

Conservatives might make excuses for Dubya, but he's definitely not well liked or revered like Reagan still is.

It's fine to dislike and criticize Reagan.

It's fine to point out his many shortcomings.

You have the right to wish that his name and memory be obliterated, gloat over his suffering with Alzheimer's, and equate him with a sewer rat.

I just don't think Reagan deserves that type of complete disrespect and vitriole being directed against him. 

But to each his own.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »
You bet perception is everything.

But you're mistaken if you think that merely being 'blessed with good rhetorical gifts' or being a 'master of communication' is why Reagan is so revered by many people.

As you point out, Obama is considered a great communicator, but I'll bet you when his reign is over he's going to be reviled.

Conservatives might make excuses for Dubya, but he's definitely not well liked or revered like Reagan still is.

It's fine to dislike and criticize Reagan.

It's fine to point out his many shortcomings.

You have the right to wish that his name and memory be obliterated, gloat over his suffering with Alzheimer's, and equate him with a sewer rat.

I just don't think Reagan deserves that type of complete disrespect and vitriol being directed against him. 

But to each his own.

Very well said.....
And, I agree with your comments.....

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
You guys aren't getting it--it's the Reagan brand name that's selling, not the actual product.

Let's break down the real Reagan record in terms of good, okay, bad, and ugly.

GOOD

--Reagan's handling of the economy, for the most part. I don't like it that he was pro-outsourcing but he got it that businesses flourish best with low taxes and low regulation.

OKAY

--Reagan's handling of most social/moral issues. He didn't do anything about abortion but at least he didn't promote it (or gay "rights"). He more or less held the line against America getting more depraved, on his watch. He wasn't really much of a friend of the Second Amendment, but wasn't actively trying to ban all guns like Clinton. His flipflop on the issue of his education funding late in his presidency was pretty bad. His handling of the War on Drugs gets mixed reviews.

BAD

--Most of Reagan's foreign policy--the whole Iran contra situation (selling Iran weapons to raise money for the CIA), sending Marines to go protect Arafat, his halfhearted retaliation against Qadaffi, sucking up to Gorbachev and Red China, hobnobbing with the Saudi "nobility", and selling out white South Africa cannot be defended. It is true that he was not constantly publicly denouncing South Africa and Israel the way Carter was, but behind closed doors he was still pressuring them.

UGLY

--Reagan's handling of Jewish issues--Jonathan Pollard, Bob Manning, Chaim Ben Pesach, the Bitburg speech, etc. This was absolutely unforgivable and beyond the pale of human conscience. Nobody forced him to be very good personal friends with Fag Buchanus and James "F--- The Jews" Baker, whose anti-Semitism was well-known even then (and certainly would have been especially to those who knew them very well on a personal basis).

On a strict reading of all that he accomplished on the issues (without addressing the Jewish issue), Reagan comes out as a conservative Democrat or center-left Republican, at best; which translates into "okay", in my opinion. I will grant the Reagan fans here that he probably handled the economy better than any other modern president within the limitations of a hostile Congress. However, I think that the economy is far less important than moral issues. Is the president doing what is right and just and honorable? Is he leading with conscience and fairness and concern for the powerless? As I think I have pointed out well, his handling of moral issues ranged from alright to downright awful. The fact that he took extreme anti-Semites as his closest friends and allowed them to more or less have their way in national policy is very disturbing, and will not be forgiven or overlooked by Hashem. That is why I said he is a vile worm and deserved everything that he received.