Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 1498 times)

Online Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Windows 7
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
I've read the review on CNET. Did anyone purchase a copy? Is it worth buying?

I use an Apple at work and I'm considering crossing over and only using Apple exclusively. Either that or installing Linux. Windows 7 sounds enticing though.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
I got it for free
It is not that bad

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »
7 is a decent OS but then again so are the other OS you mentioned so my advice is only buy it if you need to use it.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »
Linux is the way to go!

I read somewhere that Windows 7 is not that much of an improvement over Windows Vista. 

Also, with Linux, you don't have to worry about viruses and spyware.  Plus it's open source. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
I tried Win7 and there is no reason to switch from the Linux distro I am using currently...

Ubuntu Rocks windows!

http://www.ubuntu.com
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
I've read the review on CNET. Did anyone purchase a copy? Is it worth buying?

I use an Apple at work and I'm considering crossing over and only using Apple exclusively. Either that or installing Linux. Windows 7 sounds enticing though.

Mishmaat, is the Apple OS X not some kind of Linux?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »
I tried Win7 and there is no reason to switch from the Linux distro I am using currently...

Ubuntu Rocks windows!

http://www.ubuntu.com

Take it from someone who knows!

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »
I am using Kubuntu and I am satisfied with it but to be honest I am not sure this is the right OS for a simple non savvy user. I had numerous issues that required research and manual configuration to solve including  network configuration, drivers for graphic driver, installing and configuring apps that are unavailable through the official distro.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
I am using Kubuntu and I am satisfied with it but to be honest I am not sure this is the right OS for a simple non savvy user. I had numerous issues that required research and manual configuration to solve including  network configuration, drivers for graphic driver, installing and configuring apps that are unavailable through the official distro.

Which version? Version 8.10 is very stable and runs basically right out of the installer. I also installed recently on my laptop and the OS experience is much better {Much faster and easier to use} than the Vista OS I wiped out...

Also Ubuntu is releasing 9.10 soon and it is expected to resolve many network and video issues... I maintain an office where I support eight teammembers and their Ubuntu systems.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »

You'll probably wind up buying it anyway.
Chances are, you'll buy a computer preloaded with win7.
Its supposed to be lighter than Vista.
I'm not exactly standing on line at 4am for it.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »

You'll probably wind up buying it anyway.
Chances are, you'll buy a computer preloaded with win7.
Its supposed to be lighter than Vista.
I'm not exactly standing on line at 4am for it.

I sure as heck wont pay for it... Nowadays you can buy laptops without an OS installed... Or with Linux pre-installed...

I also like this distro of Linux called E-Live... I have it on my laptop and it automatically recognized and configured my wireless network and the eye-candy {visual effects} are beautiful on the desktop {twinkling stars in the background, Macintosh like toolbar with rotating icons, etc}...

http://www.elivecd.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=ES&hl=es&v=nCJ8QDfA95U

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »

Which version? Version 8.10 is very stable and runs basically right out of the installer. I also installed recently on my laptop and the OS experience is much better {Much faster and easier to use} than the Vista OS I wiped out...

Also Ubuntu is releasing 9.10 soon and it is expected to resolve many network and video issues... I maintain an office where I support eight teammembers and their Ubuntu systems.

I had issues with 9.04 and 8.10. For example: I had to remove the network manager and manually configure the network setting to use static IP. I had to manually configure the system to work with the graphic driver (I have radeon HD, but I hear nvidia's graphic cards are better supported).

Also, this is not really an issue for me, but I had to add repositories so I could install and update apps like skype, google earth, virtual box etc. For a less computer savvy person this could be a  hassle.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
i dont think windows 7 is much different to Vista.

I have a triple boot system with Mac,Vista,Ubuntu loaded... and most of the times have to use Windows.. as most of our development environment works on it. Depends want kind of work do you want it for. If you have to work on asp, how can it be accomplished using Linux?

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »
I am very happy with my 32bit VISTA Business, so if Windows 7 is in an improvement, I'd be glad to pay for it. I don't particularly care for 64bit VISTA that I ran on by 2nd laptop
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
Vista is fine, but it took SEVERAL months and several updates before it was.  Dont be tempted by the New windows, as it is probably full of bugs and incompatibilities.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
Vista is fine, but it took SEVERAL months and several updates before it was.  Dont be tempted by the New windows, as it is probably full of bugs and incompatibilities.

You bet... I have a rule to never install any MS product till its been out for at least a year... Hopefully by then the bugs will be worked out... MS has a tendency to push out products before they are fully tested. I have worked with Microsoft since version 3.1 of Windows {which was complete trash at the time, about 1992} and I discovered that Microsoft will release OS's before they are ready.

Im sure we will be hearing of some problems with Win7 very soon..

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »
I wish they could just go back to XP.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 04:01:32 AM »
You bet... I have a rule to never install any MS product till its been out for at least a year... Hopefully by then the bugs will be worked out... MS has a tendency to push out products before they are fully tested. I have worked with Microsoft since version 3.1 of Windows {which was complete trash at the time, about 1992} and I discovered that Microsoft will release OS's before they are ready.
Im sure we will be hearing of some problems with Win7 very soon..
I always upgrade no sooner when SP1 is available. However, I did not see much difference between Vista and 7, from what I here, 7 is just a streamlined and cleaner version of Vista. Still, I'd wait till SP1
Hayot Araviot Masrihot