General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Lisa

<< < (37/69) > >>

Lisa:
Hi YimachShemotoIslam,

Being that I'm a Jew, I don't think it's my place to say who is or is not a Christian.  However, I did do some reading on the topic before replying to your post.  From what I can tell, present day Mormons seem to believe they are Christians, whereas as others believe they are not. 

From what I can tell so far, they believe that people who marry in a Temple, and who have lots of children and who live as righteous Mormons will become deities in the next life, with their very own planets to rule.  I don't think Christianity has anything like this. 

Here's a link from a Mormon site writing about why they believe they are Christians:

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/response/general/christians/

Here's a link from another site explaining why they are not Christians:

http://www.allaboutcults.org/what-do-mormons-believe.htm

Hope this helps.

Serbian Canadian:
Hey Lisa.

Since you're from New York, I have to ask you where were you when the 9/11 attacks happened? When did you first learn about them? What was your reaction? What was the rest of the day like for you?

Lisa:
Hi Serbian Canadian,

Great question. 

I remember that day very well. 

I had a job selling online advertising out of my home.  My "office" was right in my bedroom.  So that morning, I woke up kind of late, and began checking my email.  At the time, I would have news headlines sent to me by email.  That's how I used to read the New York Times. Anyway, I woke up feeling very groggy and then I checked my email.  I saw a headline from the Times saying "Plane Hits World Trade Center."  I didn't open it to read it.  I figured I'd get to that email later.  Also the first thing I thought was that one of those small propeller planes hit the WTC, and that it was only a pilot error.  Then a second email came, and the heading read "Second plane hits World Trade Center."  Still I couldn't imagine that America was attacked. 

I logged onto Yahoo Messenger, which we were all required to do, then I started going through a list of people I needed to call for the day.  All of the sudden, my Yahoo Instant Messenger beeped.  It was a message from the company's IT guy in California.  I thought to myself, what would the IT guy from California want with me?  Usually it was the other way around.  I would call or email him if I needed something.  And he would get back to me in a little while.  So I opened his message.  It read:

"Are you OK?"

So I said:

"Yes of course.  Why do you ask? 

He then went onto explain how terrorists flew two planes into the WTC, and that the WTC was razed to the ground.  Then I turned on the television and saw it all.  And of course I saw that the Pentagon was also attacked, and that another plane went down in Pennsylvania.  Then it all hit me.  I was enraged!  I thought to myself that it was all Bill and Hillary Clinton's fault.  I wanted to call the U.N. and mouth off to them.  But I couldn't find a phone number for them on their website. 

Also, my phone was down.  I was unable to make any outgoing calls.  But I could receive incoming calls.  My mother called me, and I cried to her.  My manager called to see if I was OK, and said to take the day off.  However, I didn't want to do such a thing.  I didn't want the terrorists interfering with my routine.  So I tried to go on like I normally would.  But I couldn't.  I was too upset. 

I went outside for a few minutes.  And I could see the black smoke from all the way downtown.  Also, there was that awful smell that remained for several weeks.  At one point, I had to put a wet washcloth around my mouth to try and avoid it while sleeping. 

TruthSpreader:
Dear Lisa, can you tell me why do many Iraqi Christians chose to reside in Syria?

Lisa:

From what I understand, it's due to cultural similarities, and the ease of being able to enter Syria.  And, there's also the history of Christianity in Syria.   

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/23/Worldandnation/Fleeing_Iraqi_Christi.shtml

--- Quote ---Christians from Iraq have gone to other countries, but most choose Syria because of cultural similarities and ease of entry.

Unique in the region, Syria allows any citizen of an Arab nation to enter for up to six months without a visa. President Bush says this "porous" border makes it easy for insurgents to cross into Iraq from Syria, but it also makes it possible for Christians to flee the dangers that have swept their country since the United States occupied it.

"From the time of independence in 1946, Syria has always opened its doors for every refugee who comes - Armenians, Palestinians, Sudanese and now Iraqis," says Archbishop Isidore Battikha, patriarch of the Greek Catholic Church in Damascus.

"They are all welcome in Syria, and the government asks us to help them - we open our churches, our meeting rooms, our schools, and help by money or finding money."

Christians also feel more comfortable in Syria than in Iraq's other neighbors, the overwhelmingly Muslim countries of Jordan, Iran, Turkey, Kuwait and especially Saudi Arabia. There, "religious freedom does not exist," the U.S. State Department says.

By contrast, about 10 percent of Syria's 18-million people are Christians, who worship freely in an atmosphere rich in history and tolerance.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version