General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Lisa

<< < (38/69) > >>

Mishmaat:
Hi Lisa,

I'm facing a dilemma. I'm in a committed relationship with a girl who has celebrated Halloween and Valentines Day. Her rationale is that they're secular holidays, which I think is dubious at best. In the past I was into this as well. On Valentine's Day I got my prior girlfriends chocolate, roses, stuffed animals, and various other gifts. I don't want to come across as an inconsiderate jerk when I don't have any thing for my girlfriend this Valentine's Day. But at the same time I want to put my foot down and tell her that I don't think that any Jew should be celebrating this. I'm the type of person that is normally very aggressive in most situations. But in the context of a relationship I'm very submissive and I'll do everything possible to avoid any confrontation or argument.

What is the best course of action? Or rather, what do you recommend I do in such a situation?

Also, what do you think of Jews in the Galut that participate in Gentile holidays that have pagan origins?

Lisa:
Hi Mishmaat,

Great questions. 

Halloween originated from the pagan Druid holiday (for lack of a better word) called Samhain.  Here's some background on Samhain, which later became All Saints Day, or All Souls Day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

Valentine's day is a Christian holiday of course. 

Now does your girlfriend know you're a religious Jew?  How did you meet her?  How long have the two of you been together?  I take it she's not religious?  I'm no expert on relationships, but maybe you should sit her down and explain what Halloween really is. 

Do you have plans with her for today or tonight?  What do you two normally like to do for fun?  Why don't you just make a plan to do something she normally enjoys, so you can avoid the flowers and chocolates? 

In terms of Jews in the Galut who celebrate holidays that have pagan origins, I think they need to be educated.  It's not enough to say "No don't do it.''  They need to understand why.  On the other hand, many secular Jews will not be swayed.  They'll say "Well it may have originally been a pagan holiday, but now it's secular.  So what's the big deal?"  After all, these are the people who voted for Obama. 

GoIsraelGo!:
Lisa, my husband was on Long Island when the 9/11 attacks happened. Doug told me the same thing....he could see the smoke and smell it from his home in Commack.

Shalom - Dox     

Lisa:

--- Quote from: Republicandox on February 14, 2010, 10:01:27 AM ---Lisa, my husband was on Long Island when the 9/11 attacks happened. Doug told me the same thing....he could see the smoke and smell it from his home in Commack.

Shalom - Dox     

--- End quote ---

Same thing with my parents on Long Island. 

TruthSpreader:
Dear Lisa.

Why are Jews not allowed to settle in Jordan?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version