General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Lisa

<< < (41/69) > >>

Lisa:
YimachShemotoIslam,

According to Ashkenazi Jewish law, you're Jewish if you have a Jewish mother, or if you undergo an Orthodox conversion.  The Ashkenazi Jews, which are the marjority of American Jews are of German, Russian and Eastern European ancestry.  My family is Iranian.  And according to my mother, anyone with only one Jewish parent would probably not even be considered Jewish, according to the Iranian Jews. 

If you're talking about some Ashkenazi Jewish woman living in the US who happens to marry a Muslim, I would say the child would be considered Jewish.  Now I don't know the exact number of Jewish women in Israel who have married Muslims.  But I know for a fact that they exist.  That would certainly be an awkward situation for any children involved.  However, there is an Israeli organization called Yad L'Achim, that helps such women and their children in getting back to Jewish life. 

In the U.S., I know of one Iranian Jewish woman who married an Iranian Muslim.  The parents and her brothers disowned her.  However, after the father passed away, the mother, and I think the brothers resumed contact with her.  I have no idea if the husband converted to Judaism.  But my mother tells me that she's seen him in the Iranian Synagogue wearing a yarmulke.  So I'm probably guessing that the kids are being raised Jewish. 

Lisa:
Hi Mishmaat,

I have two favorite Iranian dishes.  One is called chello nekhod ab.  It's a stew that's served over rice.  It's made with lima beans, chick peas, kohlorabis, chopped spinach, fresh parsley, dill and cilantro in a chicken broth.  It can also include meatballs made from beef, and other cuts of beef, which are served separately from the stew.  I've always loved this dish.  My mother makes it Friday nights. 

My other favorite Iranian dish is called fesenjun.  From my experience, it's usually just served at catered parties, such as weddings.  Many Iranians have never even tried it because it looks gross.  But it's delicious!  This is also a stew which is served on rice.  It's made from a base of pomegranate paste, chopped walnuts, chopped onions, ground chicken meat and sugar.  Normally, I don't have much of a sweet tooth.  But that is one sweet dish that I LOVE. 

JTFenthusiast2:
Lisa,

I had no idea you were Iranian .  I have read a lot about the situation of Iranian Jews and the culture and history. One of my best friends in medical school was an Iranian Jew.  You come from a noble background with a beautiful heritage.  Do you speak Farsi?

Raulmarrio2000:
Lisa, according to Hallacha the child of a Jewish mother is Jewish, and the child of a mother who is or was a Gentile when she had that child is a Gentile. (even if the mother converts to Judaism afterwards, except if the child also converts). The status of the father does not matter. The Hallacha is the same for Askenazim, Sefaradim, Mizrachim or any other origin. Only Samaritans and some Karaites hold by patrilineal descent. ( Other Karaites require that both father and mother be Israelites).
Some Reconstructionist ( and perhaps also some Reform Jews) hold that a child with at least one Jewish parent may be considered Jewish if he lives like a Jew and don't require the conversion of someone of Jewish father.
According to Islam, the child of a Muslim father is Muslim, but this is irrelevant to Hallacha. The only problem may be in countries where Sharia is law, because the child may be prosecuted for apostasy by Islamic tyranies.

Lisa:

--- Quote from: JTFenthusiast2 on February 16, 2010, 06:03:30 PM ---Lisa,

I had no idea you were Iranian .  I have read a lot about the situation of Iranian Jews and the culture and history. One of my best friends in medical school was an Iranian Jew.  You come from a noble background with a beautiful heritage.  Do you speak Farsi?

--- End quote ---

Hi JTF Enthusiast,

I'm a first generation American.  But my parents are Iranian through and through, as are most of my relatives.  I do speak Farsi.  I don't read or write it.  I can carry on a normal conversation.  However, if I'm listening to someone formally giving a speech, I won't be able to understand everything.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version