General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Lisa

<< < (42/69) > >>

Lisa:
Hi Raulmarrio,

We're in agreement.  However, I'm just relating to everyone here the Iranian Jewish perspective on mixed marriages, according to my mother. 

JTFenthusiast2:
Dear Lisa,

What is the relationship if any between Iranian and Iraqi Jews?  JTFE

Lisa:

--- Quote from: JTFenthusiast2 on February 16, 2010, 06:35:52 PM ---Dear Lisa,

What is the relationship if any between Iranian and Iraqi Jews?  JTFE

--- End quote ---

JTF Enthusiast2

Iranian Jews are extremely tribal.  In Great Neck, the Tehrani Jews have their own Synagogues, as do the Mashadi Jews. The Iraqi and Syrian Jews have their own Synagogues as well.  My family is Mashadi.  The Mashadis are the most tribal group out of them all.  In fact, they're comparable to the Syrian Jews in that regard.  The Tehrani Jews seem to be the most relaxed of the bunch. 

So, while Mashadi Jews might like and respect the Iraqi Jews, they mainly keep to themselves. 

JTFenthusiast2:
Interesting,

I was wondering that if because their two homelands were at war, that ethnicity in this instance might surpass religion in terms of bonding between the two Jewish groups.  I had no idea about the tribalism issues you mentioned.  I went to the funeral of an Iraqi friend's father and it was unlike any kind of funeral I had been to. 

Dan:
Hi Lisa,
when did most of the Iranian(Persian) Jews immigrate to the US. Are there still many left in Iran currently?
do you still have family or property/possessions there?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version