Author Topic: Worlds oldest man in Israel goes to shul daily at 115  (Read 2326 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Worlds oldest man in Israel goes to shul daily at 115
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:49:31 AM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/136370 

(IsraelNN.com) He has trouble seeing, but as one who has repeated the prayers for more than a century, he knows them by heart. David Pur, age 115, continues to learn Torah and to pray every day, now in the nursing home to where he moved just three months ago.

Pur will soon be visited by an envoy of the Guinness Book of World Records – an event much anticipated by the rest of his family. Three of his nine children are still alive, as are 18 grandchildren and 56 great-grandchildren, all of whom are waiting with excitement for the envoy to formalize his title.

“I have had plenty of time to memorize the Biblical writings,” he said. He prays every morning while standing next to Moshe, who has just turned 100, and who Pur says sometimes seems lost – but is guided by his older friend.

Born in 1895 in what was then Persia and today is Iran, Pur became an adviser to the Shah, who admired his mastery of languages, including Persian, Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic and French. He later added Tagalog, a language spoke in the Philippines, while learning to care for Filipinos. He and his family made aliyah to Israel in 1948.

Pur still listens to the news of the day on radio and television, and discusses current events with his grandson, IDF Gen. Yoav Mordechai, who says, “We must be strong with the regime of the ayatollahs and not fear them.” Pur's 70-year-old son Salim, who often accompanies him, comments that his father solves everything with a smile, and says wistfully, “I wish I could be like him.”

The old man is known for his smiles and for laughing and joking with the various members of his large family, who visit him daily. “The main thing is not to lose your optimism,” he said. “I, who buried the woman of my life 50 years ago, and six of my children – I understand that we must not let bitterness take hold of us.”

He rejected a potential remarriage ten years ago, when the 80-year-old doctor with whom he was close tried to suggest a new wife for him. Politely apologizing, Pur told his friend, “Sorry, no woman can replace my deceased wife.”

For nearly 110 years he smoked, but he says the damage was minimized because he “never swallowed the smoke.” At breakfast, he drinks a glass of brandy and eats nuts. “It is best not to eat on [from on-the-street establishments],” he advises, “because who knows when they change the oil, and you could unknowingly swallow poison. I avoid meat and fried foods, and eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible."

A new study conducted by researchers at Ben Gurion University of the Negev, the medical clinic at the Nuclear Research Center in Dimona and Soroka Medical Center, has backed up what the world's oldest living man already knows. The findings, published in the current issue of Circulation, the leading medical journal of the American Heart Association, revealed that weight loss achieved through a Mediterranean diet was able to reverse carotid atherosclerosis.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:21:33 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Re: Worlds oldest man in Israel goes to shul saily at 115
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:01:20 AM »
That is amazing!!!  :dance:
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:48 AM »
115 is really nothing to sneeze at. The fact that he smoked until 110 really is even more remarkable. He did say however that diet is very important. G-d bless him he should make it to a 120 and beyond.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »
The alcohol might have helped his circulation. Not sure why that didn't help lead to obesity though except maybe he doesn't eat a lot of other calories.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »
115 is really nothing to sneeze at. The fact that he smoked until 110 really is even more remarkable. He did say however that diet is very important. G-d bless him he should make it to a 120 and beyond.
Yes i think diet is more important then smoking many foods and supplements have the ability to fight all types of cancer and heart diseases
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
The alcohol might have helped his circulation. Not sure why that didn't help lead to obesity though except maybe he doesn't eat a lot of other calories.
I don't think 1 glass of Brandy has that many calories unfortunately i like Beer :'(

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
This man obviously has good life habbits, but for sure he also has supreme genes.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »

That may be true but he's only seven years younger than the oldest person who ever lived Jeanne Calment.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »
Yes i think diet is more important then smoking many foods and supplements have the ability to fight all types of cancer and heart diseases
Moderate smokers or people that don't inhale may not be adding much risk. I do also believe diet plays a bigger part of the picture. The real factor is what sort of conditions a person is predisposed to. If heart or cancer issues are in the cards the least things could be a big factor.

I don't think 1 glass of Brandy has that many calories unfortunately i like Beer :'(
I was very intrigued by the brandy and nuts for breakfast. :) I guess a breakfast like that is great for weekends or every day if a person is retired. Going out to work in the morning with brandy breath might not lead to a long prosperous employment. :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »

That may be true but he's only seven years younger than the oldest person who ever lived Jeanne Calment.
The is mortality rate of supercentennials is well over 50% annually. Basically these people beats the odds every single day they keep breathing.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
I am surprised to find that all the four longest living persons during modern times were more or less smokers.

The joke goes that a man in a distant village attained 100 years of age, so TV reporters from the city went there to cover him. In his long speech, he attributed his longevity to his complete abstention from smoking and drinking.

Suddenly heavy sounds of coughing emerged from the adjacent room, so the reporters asked for the reason. He replied that it was his father coughing because he is a heavy smoker since his youth and could not much bother for his health.

The reporters started crumbling in to a silence, then the sounds of heavy scoldings and throwing of utensils on the floor filled in the atmosphere from the next room.

Now what! The puzzled reporters inquired.

He replied: Oh, he is my grandpa. He never bothered for his health and does all such things when he combines smoking with heavy drinking.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
110 years of smoking! wow!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
Time to buy some camel and marlboros, 115 here I come.

All joking aside, the man looks very young for being 115, that's pretty amazing.

Offline Yirmayahu

• Full JTFer
  • Choose you this day whom you will serve!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
Okay that settles it, I'm taking up the stogies again. A cigar a day keeps grim reaper away.

:jump:
Shalom Y'all....Yirmayahu

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
Time to buy some camel and marlboros, 115 here I come.

All joking aside, the man looks very young for being 115, that's pretty amazing.

Parliaments are the best cigarettes  ;D

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: Worlds oldest man in Israel goes to shul daily at 115
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
Yasher koach to David Pur! :dance:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
Re: Worlds oldest man in Israel goes to shul daily at 115
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
simply amazing