Author Topic: Mustang 2011 V6- Great looking car- but just can't get that V8 rumble with a V6  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
The V6 Mustang is actually quite quick.... I have driven the Shelby V8 Mustang quite a few times and I must say unless the car is being driven in the wide open spaces its hard to put the additional horsepower to work. The additional horse power is all at the top end. The V6 engine in its basic form has quite a bit of performance built into it right from the factory. The V8 engine is actually almost over kill for the roads most people drive on. The Shelby's are actually quirky the add ons such as the exhaust system and air cleaner have the reliability of an old 60's hot rod that someone pieced together in their back yard. If I was buying I would go for the V6 Mustang no questions asked and be very happy about it.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
You're right!  The performance is great.   I would buy it also!!   But I always loved the V8 rumble.  No V6 has that rumble.  I don't care if it has flow masters or not.  I used to have a 1979 Trans Am 6.6 Liter, V8.  It had that rumble

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
You're right!  The performance is great.   I would buy it also!!   But I always loved the V8 rumble.  No V6 has that rumble.  I don't care if it has flow masters or not.  I used to have a 1979 Trans Am 6.6 Liter, V8.  It had that rumble

Was that 79 trans am v8 stock?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Ford has tried a few things to make the 6 feel like the 8 to the driver in recent model years such as stiff engine mounts and air intake system that transmits more of the engine vibration and sound to the driver then I really think is needed. I think Ford realized this also and the 2010 seemed to have lost the engine vibration to some extent. What you say about about the rumble however is very true. One thing I have noticed about the Shelby is that the moment someone starts the car the exhaust system sound is distinct. You don't even have to see it to know what it is... On the road its the same story when the car is pushed the entire sound is very different from the run of the mill 6 cylinder. Its funny you mentioned the 79 Pontiac I almost bought the 79 Firebird new that year... I was going to have the Trans Am bird decal put on the hood. The car came with a small block Chevy engine that year which was much better on gas then the 400 Pontiac engine in the Trans AM. Between the fuel shortage, the price of the insurance and G.M.A.C interest payments on the loan ( the worse thing of all) I decided against buying the car. I was a nice car for the price and should have just bought the darn thing cash. Every now and then I see one and still kick myself for not doing just that.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
How about them making one that runs on E85, or better yet that is all-electric or runs on some completely renewable/mass-producable fuel such as soybean oil?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
How about them making one that runs on E85, or better yet that is all-electric or runs on some completely renewable/mass-producable fuel such as soybean oil?
Well if we could get some of the run of the mill cars to run on stuff like that it would be a good start... Not enough of the high performance cars are made to make a difference on what they run on. Some years back Chrysler Corporation had an interesting experimental program that was ahead if its time. The public back then was not ready for it.. The car would run on almost any flammable liquid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbine.html

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Here's an example of a 1971 mustang with that V8 rumble.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer

Yes Abben.  My Trans Am  was stock with a 403 cubic inch engine.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!

Do you mean the oldsmobile 403 engine? I do not know if back in 79 if GM was using corporate motors in their cars.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
This is definitely a fast car, but so is the Camero with the 426, and Both cars are really hot looking, The muscle cars are coming back!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I like my V8 2007 Mustang GT... Its not the fastest or strongest on the road but it looks great... And I get compliments every time I fill up with gas...

Mine looks like this one:

actually mine looks better... It has custom GT logos and special rims...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member

Do you mean the oldsmobile 403 engine? I do not know if back in 79 if GM was using corporate motors in their cars.
That year Pontiac was still producing its own engines. There was some engine swapping going on between the GM divisions but in 79 Pontiac was still using its own engine in the TransAm. The smaller V8 engine Pontiac was offering in the Firebird was the 305 small block Chevy engine. As far as I know the Olds engine was never used in anything but Oldsmobiles. It was one of the first V8 engines to be discontinued by General Motors back then.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I remember my friends cherry 73 Camaro which had a 350 V8... That car was awesome.. And my friend kept it clean.

This sorta reminds me of my friends car:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
I remember my friends cherry 73 Camaro which had a 350 V8... That car was awesome.. And my friend kept it clean.

This sorta reminds me of my friends car:

The Camaro and the Firebirds shared the same basic platform...The only thing that was different was the power plants and the front and rear styling. Even the interiors were very similar. I was always a Chrysler / Dodge person myself but looking back the Camero / Firebirds were some nice cars.