Author Topic: Anybody rack up over 200,000 miles on an American car?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Anybody rack up over 200,000 miles on an American car?
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »
Same engine?

Same transmission?

Working air?

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Anybody rack up over 200,000 miles on an American car?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Even though I don't have an American car though I doubt it with the same engine and such.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:27:11 AM »
Yes, I have had many American cars that ran well over 200,000 miles and never replaced an engine or transmission on any of them... I had a 1962 Dodge that ran well over 200 thousand miles when I sold it 1991. I sold it to a guy for a few hundred bucks that needed a reliable car for local transportation to the hospital where he was undergoing some sort of treatments...The car had been in my family since 1968 and I was glad  that the car was going to someone that needed it...I would see the car on the road from time to time after I sold it and it was funny to see an old car like that being used as the family car.  I met his son in a store years later and he said his family went everywhere with that old car. He was around 10 or 12 when his father bought the car and the car lasted so many more years that kid actually learned to drive on the car. He said it was also his first car.
I also had a 1979 Chrysler that had well over 250,000 miles on it that also never had  any major work done to it... I had an accident back in 1995 with a lady that  passed a stop sign.  The accident damaged the car in a bad spot and seeing that the car was so old it was not worth the work to repair it... I am sure the car would have gone on for a few more years had it not been involved in the accident..
The 1998 Ford car I have now just went past the 300,000 mark. I use the car every day and it still looks like its only a year or two old... I am working on getting passed  400,000 with it.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 11:31:55 AM »
Yes, I have had many American cars that ran well over 200,000 miles and never replaced an engine or transmission on any of them... I had a 1962 Dodge that ran well over 200 thousand miles when I sold it 1991. I sold it to a guy for a few hundred bucks that needed a reliable car for local transportation to the hospital where he was undergoing some sort of treatments...The car had been in my family since 1968 and I was glad  that the car was going to someone that needed it...I would see the car on the road from time to time after I sold it and it was funny to see an old car like that being used as the family car.  I met his son in a store years later and he said his family went everywhere with that old car. He was around 10 or 12 when his father bought the car and the car lasted so many more years that kid actually learned to drive on the car. He said it was also his first car.
I also had a 1979 Chrysler that had well over 250,000 miles on it that also never had  any major work done to it... I had an accident back in 1995 with a lady that  passed a stop sign.  The accident damaged the car in a bad spot and seeing that the car was so old it was not worth the work to repair it... I am sure the car would have gone on for a few more years had it not been involved in the accident..
The 1998 Ford car I have now just went past the 300,000 mark. I use the car every day and it still looks like its only a year or two old... I am working on getting passed  400,000 with it.

How do you do it?  Nearly every American car in our family has been a disaster!  We had a Buick, it was awful. The Pontiac was even worse.   The repair bills were a fortune on these cars.  They literally were disposable cars.   These cars were shot between 50 thousand and  100 thousand miles.   My brother finally has one that reached 140,000 miles.  Which is a miracle. 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:35 AM »

How do you do it?  Nearly every American car in our family has been a disaster!  We had a Buick, it was awful. The Pontiac was even worse.   The repair bills were a fortune on these cars.  They literally were disposable cars.   These cars were shot between 50 thousand and  100 thousand miles.   My brother finally has one that reached 140,000 miles.  Which is a miracle. 
I really don't do anything special... When I tell people how often to change the oil and such they don't think its enough... Some cars are just troublesome they always need a little thing here or there... GM was like that for a while between the 1980's and early 90's... They had a few good cars but some of them were impossible..A lot of problems get started when people take their cars in for repair... It's like the mechanic fixs one thing and damages two others. I do my own repairs so I am a bit more careful with what I am doing... Often people look for problems and have stuff changed that really should not be changed... I don't tinker with the car if I see something bad I change it but it has to be going bad...  A great deal has to do with how people drive... I really don't push the car to the max when I take off from a stop but I do give the car a workout when I am moving along to clear things out... The older cars use to like that because they tended to build up carbon if the engines were not pushed... Once the car is moving along it's ok to get a little pushy with it but from a dead stop it does put a great deal of strain on things. All cars will need things from time to time but most cars built today even most of the rice burners should be good for 200,000 problem free miles if taken care of... The American car companies in my opinion in the past 10 years have matched if not surpassed the imports in reliability and are far cheaper to repair when they do need service... It seems as the imports got bigger and began selling cars in larger numbers they started getting all the same sickness that the American companies had way back when.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:52 AM »

I had a nissan sentra that started smoking just after 200 miles.
The car was assembled in the USA. The engine was assembled in Japan.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Usually the Nissan's are good cars.  That shouldn't happen at all!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »
Usually the Nissan's are good cars.  That shouldn't happen at all!

I still have an old 1984 Nissan 300Z in my driveway... We havent driven it in almost five years now but it was a nice car to drive in its day.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
Never, in any car, all of them have had something crap out loong before the car reached even 100,000 miles, and the air cond is usually the first to go!
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
I am currently a little over 300,000 miles on my 1990's era Ford.

Best vehicle I ever owned.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:59:48 PM »
My Father used to do it with every car he has he just took care of it very well .He used to drive daily from N.Y. to New Haven conn new london and all o0ver New England ,New Jersey and Pennsylvania on a daily basis
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
Seems that I trade in the car before it gets 200,000 miles.  There always something new and more exciting coming out, I love comfortable-fast-luxurious cars, and the smell of new.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »

Like my brother always says, "Every month I don't have to make a car payment is $500.00 in my pocket."  (Keep your old car as long as you can.)

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »

let me guess: ford taurus.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
angry chinese kahanist:  "let me guess: ford taurus."

;D

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »

That might be a good guess... And it might even have this engine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Vulcan_engine

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »

That's amazing!  Do you have a good mechanic? Or are you good enough to work on it yourself?   I tried to change the fuel filter and bent the fuel line, where it connects to the carburator.  Forget that.   I finally found a good shop who really knows what they're doing!  I've had some really bad mechanics along the way, too!

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »

That's amazing!  Do you have a good mechanic? Or are you good enough to work on it yourself?   I tried to change the fuel filter and bent the fuel line, where it connects to the carburator.  Forget that.   I finally found a good shop who really knows what they're doing!  I've had some really bad mechanics along the way, too!

But it was the first time, I tried it.  There's a nut you have to hold with another wrench so you don't crip the line.  I know my mistake, I could do it correctly now!

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »

Have you guys seen the NEW FORD TAURUS? What do you think?
I just saw it today for the first time

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »
Truth be told:  I stopped having it serviced three years ago.  No service of any kind.  Just keeps on running!

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 03:11:35 AM »
I have a 1995 Kia with 46,000 Miles.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »

I keep seeing more and more Kias.
How are those?
They make a nice coffin carrier - that is one of those box shaped cars not large enough to be an SUV. Like the that ugly scion box - but amazingly comfortable inside.
The original scion xB did look like a coffin on a moving bed.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 07:22:57 AM »

I keep seeing more and more Kias.
How are those?
They make a nice coffin carrier - that is one of those box shaped cars not large enough to be an SUV. Like the that ugly scion box - but amazingly comfortable inside.
The original scion xB did look like a coffin on a moving bed.

I rented a Kia Rio when myt car was in the shop getting repaired.  Now keep in mind, this Kia Rio is just for transportation- you know to get from point A to point B.  But I actually liked the car, even though it was small, it had a lot of leg room in the front, (I'm 6ft tall) and it had a peppy engine. It handled nicely, also.
Tight steering.

I think Kia is getting a much better reputation as a good car.  It didn't used to.  The resale value used to be poor. But I would have nom problem buying the Rio.  It got nice reviews.  I checked out the reviews after I rented it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 07:31:32 AM »

People used to curse Kia, hyundai, and daewoo.
I think the only surviving daewoo is what became the chevy aveo.
I think its called the kia soul. If kia continues to improve, I may see about the soul.
I was also looking at the Ford flex. You can shove 7 people in there. I think its in the same league as the mazada microvan 5  or something.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »

Have you guys seen the NEW FORD TAURUS? What do you think?
I just saw it today for the first time

I like the new ford taurus sho over 300hp twin turbos.