Author Topic: Well NBA player in Israel is not so Jewish after all  (Read 1669 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Well NBA player in Israel is not so Jewish after all
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »
A few days ago we were wondering if this NBA player who is visiting Israel really is Jewish... Well it turns out that he is not so much...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/138891

NBA Player Not As Jewish As Believed

by Elad Benari
Follow Israel news on Twitter and Facebook.

NBA fans have been buzzing over the past several days following reports about NBA star Amar'e Stoudemire supposedly being Jewish.

Stoudemire, who has just been signed to the New York Knicks, arrived in Israel last Wednesday for a week long visit to learn about the country and explore its religions, after he supposedly discovered his Jewish roots. During the week Stoudemire was updating his fans via Twitter regarding his new found religion and trip. On Wednesday afternoon, he wrote: "Jerusalem is a beautiful city, I'm at a cafe eating a late lunch. I'm learning Hebrew by the min. Keep up !! Shalom."

However, despite the great excitement over the latest Jewish NBA star, his agent Happy Walters clarified during an interview on FanHouse.com that Stoudemire is “not Jewish, it's all getting blown a little bit out of proportion. His mother says there's some Jewish blood on her side, but Amar'e is just a total student of history and had been planning a trip to Israel for awhile. Is it possible [that he's Jewish]? Maybe. We're going to do some research, but I don't know where that will go."

Walters explained that Stoudemire’s mother, Carrie, has "mentioned that somewhere back in her lineage there might be some Jewish roots". However, he added, Stoudemire was not raised Jewish nor is his first name, Amar'e, derived from any Hebrew words as has been speculated. He added that “it's a stretch to call him Jewish at this point."

Regarding Stoudemire’s trip to Israel, Walters said that Stoudemire is planning to visit several Jewish and Christian holy sites while in Israel, including Jesus' birthplace in Bethlehem, the Kotel, and Massada.
(IsraelNationalNews.com)
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
Re: Well NBA player in Israel is not so Jewish after all
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
I grew up in a neighborhood that sent a real Jew to the NBA back in the late 60s.  Amare Stoudemire Jewish?  As long as they don't try to tell us Shaq and Kobe are Jewish.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »
I think Jordan Farmar, a bench player from the LA Lakers is Jewish.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
I think Jordan Farmar, a bench player from the LA Lakers is Jewish.

Yes, and Omar Caspi of the Kings.

Amare is not Jewish although I guess they're researching it.   From what I read the other day, it was based solely on his mother "feeling she was a Hebrew."  Now I see that she/he has suspicion that there actually might be somewhere in the lineage a Jewish ancestor.  In that case, they can research it but no reason to assume he's Jewish, similar to how his agent explained it.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »
What about David Lee, formerly of the Knicks?

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
I grew up in a neighborhood that sent a real Jew to the NBA back in the late 60s.  Amare Stoudemire Jewish?  As long as they don't try to tell us Shaq and Kobe are Jewish.

Shaq is a Muslim.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
What about David Lee, formerly of the Knicks?

Haven't heard anything about him being Jewish

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
He appears to at least be a philo-Semite.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein