Author Topic: Dr. Laura Forced To End Show Over N-Word; Self-Hating Jews Led Fight  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Dr. Laura Forced To End Radio Show At End Of Year

http://azstarnet.com/article_503da309-8a21-54a6-9863-db9437b389bd.html

... This is just disgraceful. I have no words for this. Dr. Laura was probably a bit insensitive but she didn't say a thousandth of what black talk show hosts get away with every day. As is predictable, American Jews led the battle to destroy her. Jews today are probably more pro-black than ever... and blacks hate them now more than ever. No words to say anymore.
 >:( :o >:( :o >:(

Dr. Brennan Fan

Quote from: AZ Daily Star
Dr. Laura plans to end radio show at end of year
By DAVID BAUDER
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Talk show host Laura Schlessinger says her desire to talk freely without having affiliates and sponsors attacked led to her abrupt decision to end her "Dr. Laura" radio show later this year.
Schlessinger said she is walking away a week after apologizing for saying the N-word 11 times on the air while talking to a black woman with a white husband, then saying "if you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race."
She apologized a day after the Aug. 10 remarks, but Media Matters for America called for her removal from the talk show. The group encouraged its members to contact show sponsors and affiliates and urge them to drop "Dr. Laura."
Schlessinger said Tuesday on CNN's "Larry King Live" that her daily talk show will end when her contract expires this year, with the last show probably around Christmas. She said she was wrong to say what she said, was sorry for it, but "there are people who won't accept my apology."
"When I started in radio, if you said something somebody didn't agree with and they didn't like, they argued with you," she said. "Now they try to silence you ... My First Amendment rights have been usurped by angry, hateful groups who don't want to debate. They want to eliminate."
Media Matters' Ari Rabin-Havt said the apology wasn't accepted because his group was concerned about Schlessinger's overall attitudes toward race, more than just the N-word. And those attitudes weren't addressed in the apology, he said.
For Schlessinger to portray herself as a First Amendment "martyr" is an outrage, he said.
"She has the constitutional right to make her statements, and I have the same right to assemble people to challenge the statements," he said.
Corinne Baldassano, an executive with Schlessinger's production company, Take on the Day LLC, said the talk show host plans to pursue opportunities through her website, books, podcasts and a YouTube channel.
It was not immediately clear how many sponsors had pulled out of her radio program. Baldassano said Motel 6, owned by Accor SA, had pulled out. Schlessinger said the show had also added sponsors.
Mark Masters, head of the Talk Radio Network, which distributes Schlessinger's show, did not immediately return a telephone call for comment.
Previously, Schlessinger's negative comments about homosexuality on her television show in 2000 inspired gay activists to campaign to get her off the air.
The flap recalled radio host Don Imus' firing by CBS Radio and MSNBC in spring 2007 for referring to members of the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed." Imus apologized and eventually rebuilt his network of radio affiliates for a weekday show also telecast on the Fox Business Channel.
Michael Harrison, publisher of the industry trade journal Talkers, said he doesn't quite believe Schlessinger will leave a show she appears to love doing.
He said her announcement "came from her emotions, not figuring it out. Four months from now, it might be a different story. There are inconsistencies in what she's been saying. That makes me believe that she's stressed."
The controversy comes during a particularly heated political era, with interest groups from different sides closely watching what public figures say and springing into action when they believe something offensive is said.
Fearing political trouble last month, the Obama administration pressured Agriculture Department employee Shirley Sherrod to resign. Conservative websites were spreading stories that Sherrod, who is black, had talked about not helping white farmers who sought her assistance in a previous job. Instead, Sherrod's comments had been taken out of context.
"We live in a time when society and the media and politics is searching for a victory rather than seeking truth," Harrison said. "All sides want to prove the other side wrong. Not just wrong, but bad."

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Dr. Laura Forced To End Show Over N-Word; Self-Hating Jews Led Fight
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
I have listened to Dr. Laura now and then over the years and I must say I am surprised to see she fell into this trap... She always seemed to be very politically correct even years ago when it was not necessary to be so... Now and then I would catch about an hour of her rebroadcast on Monday mornings on my way into work... She seemed to be loosing it a bit with some of her more exotic callers... Well I guess too much can even make a dog sick and I guess she just had enough... In the back of my mind I seem to be recalling some other situation she had a few years back that also had her called on the carpet...The world has changed a great deal since Dr. Laura first went into the advice giving business and the world has simply passed her by... Its time to ride off into the sunset or get into a smaller venue where she can deal with people she more understands..
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »
To be honest, a lot of her show seemed staged... it had a Wally George/Jerry Springer quality to it. Some of the calls she fielded, and her responses to them, were just too wacky to be real. If this one call was not staged, I actually do believe she was kind of rude to the lady... but I don't think that is reason to end her career.

I recall in 1999 she said sh** on the air, twice, and as far as I know faced no trouble for it.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
To be honest, a lot of her show seemed staged... it had a Wally George/Jerry Springer quality to it. Some of the calls she fielded, and her responses to them, were just too wacky to be real. If this one call was not staged, I actually do believe she was kind of rude to the lady... but I don't think that is reason to end her career.

I recall in 1999 she said sh** on the air, twice, and as far as I know faced no trouble for it.

I think people really are that wacky in real life.  Well you know Chaims affirmative action stories. 
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »
Laura is a very disturbed and sick individual -- in my opinion.  She has tons of issues.   (As an aside, which has nothing to with anything I suppose -- She's from a mixed marriage -- Jewish and Catholic.)

This is from wikipedia:

Schlessinger was estranged from her sister for many years, and had not spoken to her mother for 18 to 20 years before her death in 2002. Schelssinger's mother's body was found in her Beverly Hills condo approximately two months after she died from heart disease.[59][60] In 2006, Schlessinger wrote that she had been attacked in a "vulgar, inhumane manner by media types" because of the circumstances surrounding her mother's death, and that false allegations had been made that she was unfit to dispense advice based on family values. She explained that she had not mourned the deaths of either of her parents because she had no emotional bond to them. She described her father as "petty, insensitive, mean, thoughtless, demeaning and downright unloving". Her mother, she said, had "pathological pride", "was never grateful and would always find something to criticize," and "constantly expressed disdain for men, sex and love". She credited her father with being charming, with giving her the drive to succeed, and said her mother was beautiful as a young woman. She said her mother was the one who broke off their relationship.

Religious beliefs
Schlessinger was non-religious until she and her son began practicing Conservative Judaism in 1996. In 1998, Schlessinger, Bishop, and their son converted to Orthodox Judaism, and began instruction under Rabbi Reuven P. Bulka of Ottawa, Ontario. During this time, Schlessinger sometimes used Jewish law and examples to resolve the moral dilemmas of her callers. She occasionally clarified ethical and moral issues with her local Orthodox Rabbi Moshe D. Bryski, before mentioning them on the air. She was embraced by many in the politically conservative segment of Orthodox Judaism for bringing more awareness of Orthodoxy to her radio show. Some of her expressed views were explicitly religious, and are referenced her 1999 book The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life. Although her other books have stressed the importance of morality, they are more secular in nature.

In July 2003, Schlessinger announced on her show that she was no longer an Orthodox Jew. In a series of monologues following that announcement, she explained that she did not feel a connection with God, and felt frustrated by the effort she had put into following the religion. Her religious approach on the show lessened substantially after this announcement.  In December 2006, she stated that she was outraged that a Rabbi was demanding that a menorah be put in the Seattle International airport adjacent to a Christian holiday display, and that she would be putting a Christmas tree up in her own house.

I think there's somehting definitely wrong with her.  I'd say, for one thing, that she's very confused.  And the fact that she actually used the "N" word tells me that she doesn't have much common sense.  

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
I never liked her, too smug for my style,  always found her nasty to callers.  I'm glad she was canned. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
IsraelForever, she probably does have many problems. She was entertaining though--albeit not high-class entertainment. I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed listening to her. As for her situation with Judaism... all I have to say is "oy". As for her situation with her parents, I don't have reason to doubt what she says about them. A lot of men and a lot of women are exactly like how she described them--to a T.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »
If someone wanted to un-ban the N-word...better have a group of people to prove a point rather than just one person...one person will get eaten alive...55 talk show hosts, will less likely be eaten alive.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:00:32 PM »
I agree, Aces High.  I cannot bear to listen to any of those radio psychologist, advice-giving, talk show hosts.  Long ago, I have found them to be extremely smarmy and full of themselves.  As far as I'm concerned, you can get better advice from your neighborhood grocer. 

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
And let me add that, in my experience, anyone that I have known who doesn't speak to their own mother have been very psychologically-damaged individuals... even if the parent doesn't deserve to be spoken to. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:05:02 PM »
I listened to this carefully. It was not nearly as bad as everyone is saying.  She was her often insensitive callous self, no more, no less.  She just f'ed up on the wrong pc issue.  I think she was transferring her anger about Black anti-semitism onto this caller.  Because her response was really angry, but it wasn't necessarily untrue

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »
I listened to this carefully. It was not nearly as bad as everyone is saying.  She was her often insensitive callous self, no more, no less.  She just f'ed up on the wrong pc issue.  I think she was transferring her anger about Black anti-semitism onto this caller.  Because her response was really angry, but it wasn't necessarily untrue
There is no reason for her to be crucified for this, true.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
Oh, I agree totally that what she said wasn't bad.  I saw a replay of it on the internet.  But my point was that she should have known that he would get in big trouble nevertheless.  Any white broadcaster with any sense would know never to say "[censored]" on the air -- for any reason!  (It's not PC, no matter how many Blacks say it!)

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
WOW!  I didn't type "schvartza" in my previous post!   :laugh:

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Many on this message board probably wouldn't like her very much, because she converted to Judaism then she left it for Christianity.

I don't think she should have lost her radio show over what she said though, because the bulk of the comment she made was right.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »
The whole deal here, is not whether YOU like her or dislike her, it is about how the "N" word is the holy grail for a mostly unholy people. Dont think so? Just ask Pastor Manning.

Can NAZI PELOSI.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »
Many on this message board probably wouldn't like her very much, because she converted to Judaism then she left it for Christianity.

I don't think she should have lost her radio show over what she said though, because the bulk of the comment she made was right.
Yes, she was totally right!  And, if I'm not mistaken, she didn't lose her radio show.  (Maybe I'm being naive.)  She said that she's leaving when her contract ends at the end of this year. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »

Ruby, she is an Orthodox Jew.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »

Yes, she was totally right!  And, if I'm not mistaken, she didn't lose her radio show.  (Maybe I'm being naive.)  She said that she's leaving when her contract ends at the end of this year. 
Yes, Israel, she was right.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
Quote from: JTFenthusiast2
She is not an Orthodox Jew.  She comes from a mixed marriage.  (I'm not sure if her mother or father was Jewish.  Her mother's name was Yolanda, so I assume that her father was Jewish, which would not even make her Jewish at all.)  At one point in her life, she did convert but then she gave up her Judaism and she no longer considers herself Jewish.

Personally, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for her. 

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
Quote from: JTFenthusiast2
She is not an Orthodox Jew.  She comes from a mixed marriage.  (I'm not sure if her mother or father was Jewish.  Her mother's name was Yolanda, so I assume that her father was Jewish, which would not even make her Jewish at all.)  At one point in her life, she did convert but then she gave up her Judaism and she no longer considers herself Jewish.

Personally, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for her. 
True, but still she was right.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
No, she is half-Jewish by birth... late in life claimed to be a "Conservative Jew", then claimed to be Orthodox, then said she was leaving Orthodoxy and becoming secular.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:08 PM »
Wait a minute, within the past two years I have heard her go on about being an Orthodox Jew, and being observant

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 11:49:31 PM »
Wait a minute, within the past two years I have heard her go on about being an Orthodox Jew, and being observant

Dr. Laura loses her religion.

By Lisa Keys (from the Jewish Daily Forward, dated 8/15/03)

With 12 million Americans tuning in daily, controversial syndicated radio-show host Laura Schlessinger — known to all as “Dr. Laura” — is arguably the best-known Orthodox Jew in the United States.

Rather, she was.

In a shocking if little-noticed revelation, Schlessinger — who very publicly converted to Judaism five years ago — opened “The Dr. Laura Schlessinger Program” on August 5 with the confession that she will no longer practice Judaism. Although Schlessinger said she still “considers” herself Jewish, “My identifying with this entity and my fulfilling the rituals, etc., of the entity — that has ended.”

And with that, Orthodox Judaism lost its loudest mouthpiece and its most prominent “rabbi,” as it were, with the largest American pulpit — with the exception of, perhaps, presidential candidate Joseph Lieberman.

Syndicated nationally since 1994, Schlessinger has won over listeners with her hard-edged advice and razor-sharp tongue. Yet her brash style, not to mention her espousal of a strict “moral health” code — including controversial condemnations of homosexuality as “a biological error” — put her at odds with wide swaths of the Jewish community. Many found her moralist, black-and-white, you’re-with-me-or- against-me stance to be more representative of Evangelical Christians than of Jews, who were often among her most outspoken critics.

Nonetheless, even Schlessinger’s detractors were shocked by the news. “I can’t tell you how significant this is,” said fellow Jewish media star and “Kosher Sex” author Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, who has sparred with Schlessinger over her comments on homosexuality. “Dr. Laura always equated her morals and ethics with Jewish morals and ethics. That placed the American Jewish community in a real fix; on the one hand, she made Judaism very popular, on the other, she made it vilified and hated by many people.”

“I think Judaism is better off not being saddled and directly associated with Dr. Laura’s means,” he said, adding, “although she is still a Jew.”

Schlessinger’s office said she was unavailable for comment.

Schlessinger began her August 5 program by noting that, prior to each broadcast, she spends an hour reading faxes from fans and listeners. “By and large the faxes from Christians have been very loving, very supportive,” she said. “From my own religion, I have either gotten nothing, which is 99% of it, or two of the nastiest letters I have gotten in a long time. I guess that’s my point — I don’t get much back. Not much warmth coming back.”

Schlessinger even hinted at a possible turn to Christianity — a move that, radio insiders say, would elevate her career far beyond the 300 stations that currently syndicate her show. “I have envied all my Christian friends who really, universally, deeply feel loved by God,” she said. “They use the name Jesus when they refer to God… that was a mystery, being connected to God.”

In her 25 years on radio, Schlessinger said she was moved “time and time again” by listeners who wrote and described that they had “joined a church, felt loved by God and that was my anchor.”

Michael Medved, a conservative, nationally syndicated, radio talk-show host, celebrated the Sabbath with Schlessinger about a year ago. “We had talked about having Shabbat again,” he said. When he heard of Schlessinger’s defection, “My first response was to pick up the phone and try and expedite [the visit].”

“I think it’s a shame,” he said. “Though, of course, she was controversial in some eyes, she is one of the most admired women in America. Having the most admired woman in America speak joyously about Passover, Shabbat and Jewish lifestyle events — all of that was quite wonderful.”

Of her conversion to Judaism, Schlessinger said, “I felt that I was putting out a tremendous amount toward that mission, that end, and not feeling return, not feeling connected, not feeling that inspired. Trust me, I’ve talked to rabbis, I’ve read, I’ve prayed, I’ve agonized and I came to this place anyway — which is not exactly back to the beginning, but more in that direction than not.”

“Was Laura naive to think, ‘gosh, I’ll be the queen of the Jews’? Yes, she was naive,” said Medved. “Part of that comes from not growing up in the Jewish community. It’s so rare to find a celebrity embrace of Jewish religiosity of any kind, I can see why Laura would think her very public embrace would have led to a more enthusiastic reaction. But given all the crosscurrents and controversies that divide our community, I can see why that expectation was wrong.”

In 2001, despite the controversy surrounding her, the National Council of Young Israel honored Schlessinger for her “traditional American values.” Rabbi Pesach Lerner, the executive director of Young Israel, was surprised by Schlessinger’s defection but declined to comment on it.

Born to a Jewish father and an Italian Catholic mother, Schlessinger was raised in Brooklyn in a home that was without religion. Approximately 10 years ago, prompted by a question from her son during a viewing of a Holocaust documentary, Schlessinger, 56, began exploring her Jewish roots.

Yet last week’s revelation was far from the first time Schlessinger has been wracked with religious doubts. Lacking a religious background, she has spent a lifetime searching for that missing something, and “each thing I tried left me feeling empty,” she told Philadelphia’s Inside magazine in 1998. Having already undergone a Conservative conversion in 1997, after a debacle with the Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas — a now-legendary affair in which she allegedly rejected three hotel suites, wouldn’t ride in taxis and offended the entire audience at a $500 plate fundraiser — Schlessinger was tempted to give up on Judaism completely, but decided to undergo an Orthodox conversion instead.

“A large part of me wanted to make a statement after that experience, to stand even taller about Jewish values,” she told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency in 2001. “Besides, if you don’t have an Orthodox conversion, you can’t get buried in Israel. I want to be close to ground zero.”

Rabbi Reuven Bulka, a fellow radio host who presided over Schlessinger’s Orthodox conversion, said he was “stunned” by his friend’s 180-degree turn. “It didn’t make my day, shall we say.”

“She obviously has a tremendous impact,” said the congregational rabbi from Ottawa, Ont. “When she went through the evolutionary stage of her journey, a lot of people were inspired by her own excitement about it. I can’t tell you I know 100 people who became Sabbath observant because of it, but certainly it was a feel-good message for a lot of people. That these feel-good messages won’t be coming anymore is certainly a loss.”

Other Jews within earshot are far from sad to see her go. “I don’t think this is any great loss to the Jewish universe,” said Susan Weidman Schneider, the executive editor of Lilith magazine. “I don’t think she was a particularly effective or useful spokesperson. She doubtless alienated more people than she drew toward Judaism.”

“So, let her say she’s no longer a practicing Jew,” she added. “Let her be just a garden variety, anti-choice conservative.”

“I still see myself as a Jew,” Schlessinger said on the air last week. “But the spiritual journey and that direction, as hardcore as I was at it, just didn’t fulfill something in me that I needed.”

“All I know is, in my experiences with her — which have been considerable — I haven’t known her to do anything less than 100%,” Bulka said. “Anything she did, she did fully. The scary thing is if she said she’s leaving, it’s very forboding.”

“I thought she was a tough little lady — I didn’t think she’d chicken out so easily,” said Rabbi Isaac Levy, the chairman of Jews for Morality, who has staunchly supported Schlessinger’s conservative agenda. “She’s gotten a couple of kicks in the chin and she’s succumbed to it.”

“It seems incredible that an ethicist and moralist of her standing would invoke such shallow arguments,” said Boteach, who was en route to an appearance on the titillating syndicated television show “Blind Date.” “I never got great applause for my work from the Jewish community — but my people are my people, whether they love or hate me.”

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
This is sad and shameful... Shame on Dr. Laura... I do not agree with what she says...

I hope she wakes up one day and realizes what damage she has done... A convert no less... This is why we are so strict in allowing converts, people like Dr. Laura doing such public chillul Hashem.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14