Author Topic: Another conservative Jew in the House of Reps Nan Hayworth from Tea Party  (Read 3264 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Re: Another conservative Jew in the House of Reps Nan Hayworth from Tea Party
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »

I guess this part is really what I don't get. How can Hashem decide that? Hasn't our law already been decided by Hashem and the sages who interpreted it?

Hashem knows what the future will be, but we still have free choice so we can merit the mitzvas that we do. With the exception of maybe a few prophets, the sages did not and still do not know what the future will bring. This is why certain laws such as how to handle electricity on Shabbat took time to figure out. Certain traditions such as allowing females to study torah have also changed over time.

I fail to understand any parallel with the question of Jews holding office in galut though.

The point is that if there times when no torah law exists for something, but a right and a wrong thing still exist. In most cases the right thing is clear and consistent, however exceptions from the norm may exists where what is usually the wrong thing to do is actually the right thing. Even though Joseph had ruled in Egypt, it was for Hashem and was the right thing in that case.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »

I guess this part is really what I don't get. How can Hashem decide that? Hasn't our law already been decided by Hashem and the sages who interpreted it?

Hashem knows what the future will be, but we still have free choice so we can merit the mitzvas that we do. With the exception of maybe a few prophets, the sages did not and still do not know what the future will bring. This is why certain laws such as how to handle electricity on Shabbat took time to figure out. Certain traditions such as allowing females to study torah have also changed over time.

I still don't understand what you are saying.  Electricity was a new invention.   Women have been around since Eve, and they are still here.  I never said the sages predicted the future.   I did say that they laid out the halacha, and this halacha is pretty crystal clear.   A woman cannot serve as a dayan. 

I fail to understand any parallel with the question of Jews holding office in galut though.

The point is that if there times when no torah law exists for something, but a right and a wrong thing still exist. In most cases the right thing is clear and consistent, however exceptions from the norm may exists where what is usually the wrong thing to do is actually the right thing. Even though Joseph had ruled in Egypt, it was for Hashem and was the right thing in that case.
[/quote]

But like I said, there DOES exist a law about women not being qualified to be rabbis.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 04:22:15 AM »

I still don't understand what you are saying.  Electricity was a new invention.   Women have been around since Eve, and they are still here.  I never said the sages predicted the future.   I did say that they laid out the halacha, and this halacha is pretty crystal clear.   A woman cannot serve as a dayan. 

But like I said, there DOES exist a law about women not being qualified to be rabbis.

I think that you are stuck too much on my side point about hashem having the ability to appoint a woman as a rabbi. The probability of this happening is much less than 1% and would probably have to be triggered by something major. Such an event probably would not create a floodgate of them either. I am still interested in knowing what text makes the probability 0%, but the main point I wanted to make is that sometimes exceptions to the general rule apply for good reasons, so if you want to claim victory on the woman rabbi point, I can switch my example to hashem asking Abraham to kill his son.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »

I think that you are stuck too much on my side point about hashem having the ability to appoint a woman as a rabbi. The probability of this happening is much less than 1% and would probably have to be triggered by something major. Such an event probably would not create a floodgate of them either. I am still interested in knowing what text makes the probability 0%, but the main point I wanted to make is that sometimes exceptions to the general rule apply for good reasons, so if you want to claim victory on the woman rabbi point, I can switch my example to hashem asking Abraham to kill his son.

I didn't understand what you meant by Hashem appointing one...   You mean after we have prophecy again?
Or a new Sanhedrin?

It's just that some people will claim that when some guy makes up a new title for women and it's a historical innovation, that this is really God doing it behind the scenes.   I thought maybe you meant that.    That's insane!   But I guess that's not what you meant, right?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
You mean after we have prophecy again?

Yes. That is what would have to happen. Even then, the prophets would probably not appoint any women rabbis. They probably will on the other hand present things that are out of the norm from time to time.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
You mean after we have prophecy again?

Yes. That is what would have to happen. Even then, the prophets would probably not appoint any women rabbis. They probably will on the other hand present things that are out of the norm from time to time.

I apologize, I may have misunderstood what you were saying.   I had thought that your rabbi was trying to say that recent events or if they happen soon it will be a reflection that that's God's will and it was supposed to happen.... I didn't realize you meant he was talking about when prophecy is restored things may change.

Still it's a big discussion whether the halacha would be challenged in that case, but a Sanhedrin according to one view WOULD have that power to overturn halachot and establish new ones (and of course when prophecy is restored we certainly will have a reconstituted sanhedrin, if not before then).