Author Topic: It's official! I got engaged ...  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Yaacov Ben Yehuda

• Senior JTFer
It's official! I got engaged ...
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:00:29 AM »
To an amazing Sephardic Israeli Baal Tshuvah :)

Thank You Hashem! He answered my prayer!

Making Aliyah in the spring to live in the Judean Hills  ;D

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: It's official! I got engaged ...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:31 AM »
To an amazing Sephardic Israeli Baal Tshuvah :)

Thank You Hashem! He answered my prayer!

Making Aliyah in the spring to live in the Judean Hills  ;D

Congratulations!!!  :dance:

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:14:27 AM »
Mazal tov!  :dance:

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »
Thanks guys! toda raba  :dance: may all of you also find your zivoogim if you havent yet!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:25:44 AM »
Mazel Tov!

It is interesting I was listening to a shuir where the Rabbi explained the concept:

Making Shidduchs was as difficult for Hashem as parting the Sea of Reeds...

This is related to the Torah portion read this week, Parasha Beshalach, where Hashem parts the Sea of Reeds...

http://mobile.chabad.org/m/article_cdo/aid/600736

In context of Jacob leaving Beersheba in order to find a wife – the Midrash states: "A person's marriage partner originates from no one else but G‑d," and cites sources in all three section of Tanach. "Sometimes a man goes to his designated mate (as it was with Jacob); sometimes his designated mate comes to him (as it was with Isaac)."

The Midrash then continues:

Rabbi Yehudah bar Simon opened "G‑d sets the solitary into a family."1

A Roman matron asked Rabbi Yosei bar Chalafta: "In how many days did G‑d create His world?"

"In six days," he replied.

"And what has He been doing ever since?" she asked.

"G‑d sits and matches couples," Rabbi Yosei told her.

"Is this G‑d's occupation?" she asked derisively, "I could do that too! I possess a great number of men servants and maid servants and would be able to pair all of them off in one hour!"

"You may think it is easy, but for G‑d, it is as difficult as parting the Red Sea," he said.

After Rabbi Yosei left, the matron formed rows of her men servants and maid servants, a thousand in each row, and said to them, "This man shall marry this woman," pairing them off as she walked down the line for the night.

But when they returned to work the next morning, one had an injured head, one was missing an eye and one had a broken foot.

"What is going on here?" the matron asked.

"I don't want this one," they all said. She saying, "I will not take him"; he saying, "I will not take her."

She sent for Rabbi Yosei and told him, "There is no G‑d like your G‑d. When you explained to me that G‑d is busy making matches, you spoke wisely." 2

The Talmud echoes this belief by stating that before a person is born G‑d designates his and her mate: "A heavenly voice emerges and calls out 'this woman to this man.'"3

On the other hand, the Talmud states that "a man and woman are paired to each other based on their merits."

How do we reconcile these two positions: Is marriage designated by Divine decree or is it based on a person's deeds and merits? Two answers are offered: One particular Talmud explains that the "first pairing" is by divine decree while the "second pairing" is based on a person's merits.4 And this is why "their pairing is difficult like the parting of the sea," because a match based on merits requires special effort to unite two people who were initially not naturally compatible.5 Another Talmud suggests a different answer: Though a natural match is initially made in heaven, human intervention – prayer – can override and change the Divine decree (even regarding the "first pairing"). Thus, "It is permitted to betroth a woman on Chol Hamoed because perhaps someone else will take her before him" due to his prayer's overriding the divine decree.6

http://www.aish.com/tp/i/m/48910052.html?utm_source=mimi_aish_com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Advanced+Parsha+-+Beshalach&utm_campaign=Advanced+Parsha+-+Beshalach&utm_term=Read+Article

Beshalach(Exodus 13:17-17:16)
Oh! Say Can You See

The opinion of our Sages appears to be that the splitting of the Red Sea described in this week's Torah portion was a difficult miracle for God to pull off. Why else would they declare that it is as difficult for God to match people in marriage and to provide them with their livelihoods as it was for Him to split the sea?

Raba bar Chana said in the name of R' Yochonon: It is as difficult to match them [two people in marriage] as the splitting of the sea ... (Talmud, Sotah 2a)

R' Shizvi said in the name of R' Elazar the son of Azariah: It is as difficult to provide people with the necessities of life as it was to split the sea; as it is written, (in Psalms 136): "He provides bread to all flesh..." And an adjacent verse reads: "He divides the sea into sections..." (Talmud, Pesachim 118a)

How can we relate to the idea of God finds anything difficult? What does the splitting of the sea have in common with matchmaking or providing people with a living?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:31:23 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:59 AM »
Congratulations on your engagement and your plans to move to the Judean Hills!     Great news!
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:54:54 AM »
I'm so glad for you. Two fantastic news that will have a tremendous impact on your life.
Kol Tuv !

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:26:15 AM »
Congratulations  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42:35 AM »
That's great news.... Congratulations!!  :dance:
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
Congratulations!
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 06:42:37 AM »
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »
Congratulations!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Mazal tov!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »
congratulations to both of you

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
Mazel Tov!  :)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
Wow that sounds like a dream come true!

Mazel tov Yakov
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :)

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
Thank you to all!  ;D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »
Thank you to all!  ;D

Nu?  When do we get to meet her?  ...on the forum that is.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
Mazel Tov!

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 10:50:25 PM »
Mazel Tov!  What a blessing!  :dance: :dance: :dance:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein