Author Topic: Father and daughter expect child together  (Read 2204 times)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: Father and daughter expect child together
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
This brings us to this:
What does the child look like? One arm? Three heads? Eleven fingers?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Most people carry a recessive gene for some or other horrible disease, but it takes two people with the same recessive gene to potentially cause a baby to have it. Close relatives like that are more likely to carry the same gene. I hope the baby doesn't have a genetic illness. Abortion even if you agree with it, really can't prevent all such problems as many of the worst ones wouldn't show up immediately anyway. The baby could have something like Progeria and it wouldn't show up until later.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »
Most people carry a recessive gene for some or other horrible disease, but it takes two people with the same recessive gene to potentially cause a baby to have it. Close relatives like that are more likely to carry the same gene. I hope the baby doesn't have a genetic illness. Abortion even if you agree with it, really can't prevent all such problems as many of the worst ones wouldn't show up immediately anyway. The baby could have something like Progeria and it wouldn't show up until later.

Was it Chaim who said the following (which made a lot of sense)? Namely, with Adam and Eve, there were no genetic mistakes. They were perfect. So it was not a problem that their children intermarried, because there were no genetic mutations to reinforce. But as the genes replicated themselves throughout history, genetic mistakes slowly accumulated after many generations. Eventually, it became dangerous for close relatives to have children together.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
Was it Chaim who said the following (which made a lot of sense)? Namely, with Adam and Eve, there were no genetic mistakes. They were perfect. So it was not a problem that their children intermarried, because there were no genetic mutations to reinforce. But as the genes replicated themselves throughout history, genetic mistakes slowly accumulated after many generations. Eventually, it became dangerous for close relatives to have children together.

It's true that genetic mistakes can appear in newer lineages but I'm not sure whether there even was a literal Adam and Eve. It's hard for me to mesh that with other things I know.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 01:38:23 PM »
It's true that genetic mistakes can appear in newer lineages but I'm not sure whether there even was a literal Adam and Eve. It's hard for me to mesh that with other things I know.

If there was no Adam and Chava then why even be concerned with people having illicit relationships? The issue, from the Jewish perspective, is NOT genetic diseases.... The issue is that it is WRONG because our G-d told us it is wrong. And he also is the one who created mankind, through Adam and Chava...

I will not debate the science with you. But it seems to me you are denying the truth of Torah. And that is why I respond like this.

Whether the story is an allegory, or it is an actual event which occured, is immaterial. Hashem created mankind with a specific goal, and he created a Jewish people in order to bring about a change in the world to recognize Hashems hand in all of creation. You are certainly free to believe what you want.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14