Author Topic: I need your advice! Animal advice!  (Read 2363 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
I need your advice! Animal advice!
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:06:38 PM »
I'm watching my friend's dog for the next 10 days or so, and the dog SMELLS! What the hell can I do to fix that problem without having to spend any significant amount of money? I think it's his breath, but because he ALWAYS licks himself his whole body REEKS. In the house he's pleasant to be around, but the second we take him out and he sees people he goes CRAZY! We don't know what to do. I know some of you have animal experience, and your advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: I need your advice! Animal advice!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
I don't think bad breath can catch in the whole body. Can you describe the smell  i.e- carcass, urine, rotten fish, methane, feces  ?

Why don't you just give him a good bath ?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »
It's sort of urine-ish, I think. Not feces. I don't think I know what carcass smells like. It's not methane, either.

I can't bathe him because a) They bathed him before they brought him over, b) I don't want to spend a lot of money on dog soap, c) He might freak out in the tub.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »
It's sort of urine-ish, I think. Not feces. I don't think I know what carcass smells like. It's not methane, either.

I can't bathe him because a) They bathed him before they brought him over, b) I don't want to spend a lot of money on dog soap, c) He might freak out in the tub.

Dogs smell... Thats just the nature of the beast... Unless you are rich and famous, and can perfume the pet...

This is one reason I don't like dogs so much. When I was a kid I used to have a dog... But I have been a cat person for 20+ years because cats spend a lot of time grooming themselves, and they seldom smell as dogs do...

But that doesn't help you one iota... Sorry...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
 :o First off.  The dog doesn't smell...he stinks.  :::D
Not all dogs stink, or stink all the time, just like humans.

I'm not sure cats are better than dogs in the stink department. ::) 

Doesn't a cat scratch around in a litter box?
What exactly is in a litter box?  Roses?

I don't know.  I'm just saying.  One isn't better than the other.  It's personal preference.

Maybe you could put a light dusting of baking soda on a brush and brush him out.  Even a baby wipe bath might help.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
:o First off.  The dog doesn't smell...he stinks.  :::D
Not all dogs stink, or stink all the time, just like humans.

I'm not sure cats are better than dogs in the stink department. ::)  

Doesn't a cat scratch around in a litter box?
What exactly is in a litter box?  Roses?

I don't know.  I'm just saying.  One isn't better than the other.  It's personal preference.

Maybe you could put a light dusting of baking soda on a brush and brush him out.  Even a baby wipe bath might help.

bullcat,

What are you a bull or a cat? I thought you were more cat than bull... But maybe Im wrong.

I have had cats for many years. Sure, as you say, the catbox will smell, and it is a pain to clean them. For the most part I don't smell my cats. Maybe I am immune because I have lived with cats for many years but I do notice the smell of dogs. When I last visited my father and slept on the couch that the dog usually slept on, and the dog slept right near me when I slept there... I smelled the dog...

I don't know if it is just the 'dog smell' that Mo is talking about or an abnormal stink.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Some dogs have ear infections that give them a horrendous smell. If that's the case keep the Windows open. 

If its breath smells, certain chewable toys may help reduce garter and give better breath.

Get an air wick or freshener. 

As far as taking it for a walk, literally don't let him take you for the walk.  You have the control and make sure it respects that.  Here is a good analogy: you want Jews to be respected. So make sure you establish it like a good kahanist should.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
Some dogs have ear infections that give them a horrendous smell. If that's the case keep the Windows open. 

If its breath smells, certain chewable toys may help reduce garter and give better breath.

As far as taking it for a walk, literally don't let him take you for the walk.  You have the control and make sure it respects that.  Here is a good analogy: you want Jews to be respected. So make sure you establish it like a good kahanist should.

I love you, achi. Greatest response ever.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Perhaps the stench you smell is just the natural dog odour. Since it is only out with a leash you probably won't have to learn what carcass smells like :)

If the source of bad smell comes from his breath it can be tooth decay or just "bad breath" or in the really sad case- a kidney failure.

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

It's amazing the variety of problems JTF is supposed to solve  :laugh: :::D

Just leave the damn smelly beast out in the garden for 10 days and next time your friend asks you say NO !

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
It's amazing the variety of problems JTF is supposed to solve  :laugh: :::D

Just leave the damn smelly beast out in the garden for 10 days and next time your friend asks you say NO !

If I owned a garden you think I'd be this cheap to not just hire some (insert racial slur of choice here) to walk him or what not?

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
Just wash the dog in the bathtub with some regular soap or even some dish washing liquid, just don't get it in the dogs eyes.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
Just wash the dog in the bathtub with some regular soap or even some dish washing liquid, just don't get it in the dogs eyes.

I'm worried he'll drink it.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
I'm worried he'll drink it.
Then make sure you don't leave him alone in it. Couldn't you just use the shower on him?
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:50:20 PM »
I'm watching my friend's dog for the next 10 days or so, and the dog SMELLS! What the hell can I do to fix that problem without having to spend any significant amount of money? I think it's his breath, but because he ALWAYS licks himself his whole body REEKS. In the house he's pleasant to be around, but the second we take him out and he sees people he goes CRAZY! We don't know what to do. I know some of you have animal experience, and your advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Your friends lied to you, they never bathed him. Dogs bad breath never cause them to be smelly, it's just that he needs to be washed. If the dog is going crazy around people that is poor ownership, maybe bring a dog snack with you to distract him.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »

If you have access to a gentle leader use it.  they really help you control a dog.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
Look on the bright side, at least they didn't leave a muslim arab for you to look after. They smell and act much worse.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
If you have access to a gentle leader use it.  they really help you control a dog.

What does it matter if it is a gentile?

Offline TheViper

• Senior JTFer
  • HOLA MI GENTE!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

Gentle leader is a head collar for dogs.
It's not gentile leader
☞I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice☜

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
Posted by: TheViper
Insert Quote
Quote from: muman613 on Today at 07:21:30 PM

It's not gentile leader
      :::D

This one of the most funny threads we had going in some time... The poor dog should only know his odor problem is getting world wide recognition.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 08:39:06 PM »
Look on the bright side, at least they didn't leave a muslim arab for you to look after. They smell and act much worse.
True!  They are much worse than any stinky cat or dog.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:56:13 PM by bullcat3 »

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
It's not gentile leader

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
The odor sucks, but it's the going crazy on walks that is unbearable for me.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
Your not going  to do much about the behavior in just ten days... Try to walk the dog when its quiet out if possible.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years