Author Topic: Rabbi Kahane on "Crazies" in the Jewish Defense League  (Read 6137 times)

Allen-T

Rabbi Kahane on "Crazies" in the Jewish Defense League
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:42:35 PM »
A great passage from Lenny Goldberg's book "The Wit And Wisdom Of Rabbi Meir Kahane" that I thought was relevant in light of some recent posts;

Rabbi Kahane's movement both in America and Israel was often filled with all kinds of weirdos. Being an anti-establishment, rebel movement, it often attracted "rebel" and unstable types, who were sometimes prone to rebel against the Rabbi himself. Many well-meaning Jews disassociated themselves with his movement not for idealogical reasons, but because of the "crazies" who always seemed to be involved in the organization.
The Rabbi indirectly addressed this problem through examples from the Tanach: When David fled Saul and had to leave city and civilization for the dangerous and desolate desert of Judea-who went with him? The Bible is quite specific: 'Every man is distress,every man in debt,and every man embittered of spirit,gathered themselves to him;and he became their leader.With him were about four hundred men" [Samuel 1 22:2]. And when Yiftach had to flee his brethren for a strange land, we are told that 'there were gathered to him empty men' [anashim raikim] [Judges 11:3].
The Rabbi continues: "No, it is not surprising. The comfortable and ordinary do not go with Davids and Yiftachs-until they are a success. And the "nice and decent" physics majors and yeshiva students do not become involved with unpopular and uncomfortable and dangerous groups until they become winners".
The Rabbi thereby concluded that the problem wasn't 400 malcontents who went with David, but the good, stable people, afraid to leave their secure, tranquil lives, thereby leaving the struggle in the hands of the "crazies". 

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Rabbi Kahane on "Crazies" in the Jewish Defense League
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:01:36 PM »
Wow, I said the exact same thing to kahaneloyalist about this and I now see the Rav thought the same way as me.  What a genius.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:06:59 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:51:41 PM »
A great passage from Lenny Goldberg's book "The Wit And Wisdom Of Rabbi Meir Kahane" that I thought was relevant in light of some recent posts;

Rabbi Kahane's movement both in America and Israel was often filled with all kinds of weirdos. Being an anti-establishment, rebel movement, it often attracted "rebel" and unstable types, who were sometimes prone to rebel against the Rabbi himself. Many well-meaning Jews disassociated themselves with his movement not for idealogical reasons, but because of the "crazies" who always seemed to be involved in the organization.
The Rabbi indirectly addressed this problem through examples from the Tanach: When David fled Saul and had to leave city and civilization for the dangerous and desolate desert of Judea-who went with him? The Bible is quite specific: 'Every man is distress,every man in debt,and every man embittered of spirit,gathered themselves to him;and he became their leader.With him were about four hundred men" [Samuel 1 22:2]. And when Yiftach had to flee his brethren for a strange land, we are told that 'there were gathered to him empty men' [anashim raikim] [Judges 11:3].
The Rabbi continues: "No, it is not surprising. The comfortable and ordinary do not go with Davids and Yiftachs-until they are a success. And the "nice and decent" physics majors and yeshiva students do not become involved with unpopular and uncomfortable and dangerous groups until they become winners".
The Rabbi thereby concluded that the problem wasn't 400 malcontents who went with David, but the good, stable people, afraid to leave their secure, tranquil lives, thereby leaving the struggle in the hands of the "crazies". 

nice story
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Until Shiloh Comes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:08:42 PM »
Hello all, and good day.

The wisdom of the Rabbi ZT"L HY"D never ceases to amaze me.   Thanks Allen.
Psalm 53:2 "The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no G-D.'"

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »
Thats true and very interesting
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 07:50:28 AM »
Well, count me a "crazy."

I think Israel needs a "crazy" leader right now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 07:52:01 AM by Masha »

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »
Throughout history it has always been this way with the Jewish people, a Tzadik, like Yehuda HaMaccabee, or David HaMelech, or the Rav, will gather unto himself Jews who have been unable to deal with society, and together they bring about great things, and they will become great people because they joined to that Tzadik.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »

Don't count me crazy..just bored most of the time..and addicted to this forum...however, there are a looooot of crazy people here..i hope they can taught to keep the fire within and be eloquent when arguing with people...it's a mass movement we want..not a fringe movement with a bunch of crazies. :-\
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Allen-T

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »

Don't count me crazy..just bored most of the time..and addicted to this forum...however, there are a looooot of crazy people here..i hope they can taught to keep the fire within and be eloquent when arguing with people...it's a mass movement we want..not a fringe movement with a bunch of crazies. :-\

Only a mass movement of "crazies" will get anything done, though.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 12:07:32 PM »

believe me, nothing will be done..nobody moderate wants to hang out with crazies.

Allen-T

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »

believe me, nothing will be done..nobody moderate wants to hang out with crazies.

but few moderates get anything done. That's the point. In times like these the most effective people are those with nothing to lose. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »

but few moderates get anything done. That's the point. In times like these the most effective people are those with nothing to lose. 

i see we have gotten really far in the last 10 years too...didn't prevent 9/11 and another bombing the WTC did we?  And back then jtf had a bunch of crazies...Nobody likes to listen to crazies...nobody wants to follow crazies..only more crazies...  We need normal intellectual people here..

Allen-T

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »

i see we have gotten really far in the last 10 years too...didn't prevent 9/11 and another bombing the WTC did we?  And back then jtf had a bunch of crazies...Nobody likes to listen to crazies...nobody wants to follow crazies..only more crazies...  We need normal intellectual people here..

The most brilliant minds are totally insane ;D

Joe Schmo

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »

They're at least perceived that way by less-thans.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
Exactly.  My father said in the 70's only the semi crazy ones were willing to do the big stuff for soviet Jewry in the JDL.  Were they really crazy or were we the crazy ones for not following them?  Many of great leaders in the Bible and Jewish History were probably considered crazy at their time.  Samson was, David was and Judah the Macabe were.  R' Kahane Zs'l was also considered crazy by many but it is these kinds of people that get things done.  Now everyone knows that Kahane was right, and they were crazy for not following him.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:08:42 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Allen-T

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 04:15:53 PM »
I am not so sure we can even compare JTF today to what I know of the JDL then. Meeting face to face, physically doing things,training camps,etc. We should be doing stuff, maybe a Guardian Angels type thing, patroling the subways, busting up the riff raff and talking to people about JTF in the process. Are you telling me that if people saw us terrorising the subway beasts into submission they wouldn't be interested in joining? That's truly TAKING BACK AMERICA. 

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
Exactly.  My father said in the 70's only the semi crazy ones were willing to do the big stuff for soviet Jewry in the JDL.  Were they really crazy or were we the crazy ones for not following them?  Many of great leaders in the Bible and Jewish History were probably considered crazy at their time.  Samson was, David was and Judah the Macabe were.  R' Kahane Zs'l was also considered crazy by many but it is these kinds of people that get things done.  Now everyone knows that Kahane was right, and they were crazy for not following him.

I have been reading books on Zionism lately. Let me tell you - all these first Zionists were considered crazy, and Hertzl - the first among the crazies. OK, not loony-crazy, but more like head-in-the-clouds crazy. All the smart and rational Jews at the time thought that these Zionists were completely out of touch with reality. There are some great quotes there - something to do with great things being fulfilled through larger-than-life plans, not through "reasonable" plans. But I don't have time to comb through the books right now. When I get to them in due time, the quotes might pop up.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »
I am not so sure we can even compare JTF today to what I know of the JDL then. Meeting face to face, physically doing things,training camps,etc. We should be doing stuff, maybe a Guardian Angels type thing, patroling the subways, busting up the riff raff and talking to people about JTF in the process. Are you telling me that if people saw us terrorising the subway beasts into submission they wouldn't be interested in joining? That's truly TAKING BACK AMERICA. 

You're right, Allen.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 05:51:37 PM »
To me, the "crazies" are the self-hating Jews who criticize Rabbi Kahane. :)
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »
There is something Hertzl said that is very true, "A realist never accomplishes anything" it was true then its true today. What we need and what Hertzl and Rabbi Kahane zt'l and all great Jewish leaders were, were people who were idealists who believed great things were possible that the so called "moderates" laughed at. But at the same time they understood the methods needed to accomplish their goals, it happened to be that many of the foot soldiers and mid range leadership often fell and fall into the crazy category.
Ramban

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »

the most brilliant minds are also rational.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 07:01:06 PM »

But one cannot be crazy and that's it...he/she needs to be rational at the same time. Chaim ben Pesach is crazy, but very rational... many posters here are simply crazy and lack rationality..

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »

if this is the way you want to go about it, I will stand on teh sidelines and cheer you on...

however, we need smart intellectuals who know how to argue properly...go on the radio, become talkshow hosts...get into the mass media...the newspapers etc...i think this will win hearts and promote a change in the Western hemisphere to be tough.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »
There is something Hertzl said that is very true, "A realist never accomplishes anything" it was true then its true today. 

So true, so true. Yes, it's anti-intuitive, but this is how it works nonetheless. Too bad we never learn from history.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 09:19:47 PM »
We also need to understand what methods are effective for creating mass movements and accomplishing great things in our time. That is one(of many) things I admire about Chaim he understand youtube is a extremely powerful tool, more so then traditional TV.

I do think that if anyone on this forum owns a gym or Dojo it would be great to have forum only training sessions, and it would be a great place to recruit people.
Ramban