Author Topic: Curt's 1978 Trans Am Special Edition. video  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Curt's 1978 Trans Am Special Edition. video
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Curt's 1978 Trans Am Special Edition. video
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »

They actually were nice cars however after the fuel shortage hit in 79 you could get them for a dime a dozen... Back then I almost bought the regular Firebird  that GM jazzed up to look like the more expensive TransAM... The only thing was it came with the 305 Chevy engine and not the High end 400 Pontiac engine and although they put the Firebird decal on the hood it would not have had the through the hood air scoop... The bird decal was actually a $500 option back then which was big money... The big block Pontiac engine gave about 8 to 10 miles a gallon where the smaller Chevy might have done as well as 16 to 18 mpg....Anyway what soured the deal for me was the fact that during the Carter years loan interest was off the charts... Between Loan and insurance payments it would have cost more then I was willing to spend each month... At the time I had a very nice 69 Chevy Impala Custom 2 door with a factory Grand Prix style interior and a 327 engine which I drove for several more years... The Trans Am cars  were very fast for their day but they were nothing compared to some for the factory stuff on the market today... The computerized fuel injected cars of today are every bit as quick if not even quicker and even get good gas mileage... The only thing that missing today is the sound and kick of the old 4 barrel carb opening up... With the prospect of better gas mileage I could live without the kick and sound.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
Over the 4th of July vacation I ran into someone at the supermarket driving a pristine 1970 SS Camaro... It reminded me of an old friend of mine {from almost 16 years ago} who had a 1973 LT camaro {I remember his license plate read CMY73LT (see my 73 LT)}...

The car I admired in the supermarket parking lot looked a lot like this picture:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
I just test drove the 2011 Camaro V6.  It's very fast.  312 horsepower, handles like a dream.   But the exhaust note is just ok.    It doesn't have that V8 rumble.  But I'm not coughing up for a V8.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »
I just test drove the 2011 Camaro V6.  It's very fast.  312 horsepower, handles like a dream.   But the exhaust note is just ok.    It doesn't have that V8 rumble.  But I'm not coughing up for a V8.
The V6 is quite quick... The V8 is almost unmanageable for the average driver... The 8 cyl car is quite dangerous for people who have no self control... I don't recall which model I saw it in I think the 8 cyl. the car has a heads up dash panel display that projects the dash panel gauge display on the lower part of the windshield so the driver does not need to take their eyes off the road... Its also adjustable so the driver can get it in just the right spot so its not distracting... Even in its 6 cly. form  the car is very quick and should meet the needs of most drivers here in Down State New York.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »
Over the 4th of July vacation I ran into someone at the supermarket driving a pristine 1970 SS Camaro... It reminded me of an old friend of mine {from almost 16 years ago} who had a 1973 LT camaro {I remember his license plate read CMY73LT (see my 73 LT)}...

The car I admired in the supermarket parking lot looked a lot like this picture:

Sadly the old GM's from the 70's don't hold up so well here in this part of the country due to all the road salt we use on our roads during the winter months... Cars like that Camaro and the Firebirds like to rust and good ones are becoming very hard to find... Adding to the problem is that 75% of them have been altered or restored so poorly that they are not even wort putting money into to set them right... People who live in parts of the country with no winter weather are very lucky when it comes to dealing with classic cars like the one in your picture above.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:02:29 AM by cjd »

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
I love your car posts and videos. They're something different and a nice change of pace from all of the (depressing) news out there.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »
I love your car posts and videos. They're something different and a nice change of pace from all of the (depressing) news out there.

Thanks!