Author Topic: Tattoos Linked to cancer  (Read 4451 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Tattoos Linked to cancer
« on: September 06, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
Here is another commandment which has great health benefits. As a religious Jew I stand against marking up the skin with ugly tattoos because the Torah commands a Jew to not disrespect the body through tattooing.

Now there is a clear health benefit by observing the commandment of not desecrating the body... New research shows that there is an increased cancer risk to those who have their skin defaced with these cockamamie illustrations.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/05/BAJB1KSGO6.DTL&type=science

Although sleazy "scratcher shops" with unskilled artists and dubious safety records are largely a thing of the past, scientists are growing concerned about what's going into tattooed skin, not just how it got there.

New research has turned up troubling findings about toxic chemicals in tattoo inks, including carcinogens and hormone disruptors.

Inks, which are injected into the skin with small needles, have caused allergic rashes, chronic skin reactions, infection and inflammation from sun exposure, said Elizabeth Tanzi, co-director of the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery in Washington, D.C. A study published in July suggested that phthalates and other chemicals may be responsible for some of those problems.

That raises questions about more serious, long-term risks such as skin cancer, scientists say.

One of the chemicals found in black tattoo inks, benzo(a)pyrene, is a potent carcinogen that causes skin cancer in animal tests. Dermatologists have published reports in medical journals on rare, perhaps coincidental cases where malignant melanomas are found in tattoos.

Recently, the Food and Drug Administration launched new studies to investigate the long-term safety of the inks, including what happens when they break down in the body or interact with light. Research already has shown that tattoo inks migrate into people's lymph nodes.

For now, it's unclear what, if any, long-term health risks are posed by tattoo inks.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/04/BAJB1KSGO6.DTL#ixzz1XCrvfl7b
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
Re: Tattoos Linked to cancer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
every year goes by that scientists and doctors finally come up with reasons why all of the stuff that is forbidden in the torah is truely unhealthy. Any desecration of the body is allways detrimental to someone's health. Hashem commanded us not to indulge in these things because they are true'ly unhealthy. i recently heard that on the 8th day when the jewish boy gets a brit milah that a special vitamin grows in the lower part of the body for that special day to strengthen the baby's body for the brit milah.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
I think any body modification beyond a single piercing on each ear is desecrating the body that God created. I think it's especially bad for women to do it because it's extremely un-feminine and makes a woman look low class even if she isn't, but I think it's bad for men too. If you like a design wear it on your shirt, not your body!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
I think any body modification beyond a single piercing on each ear is desecrating the body that G-d created. I think it's especially bad for women to do it because it's extremely un-feminine and makes a woman look low class even if she isn't, but I think it's bad for men too. If you like a design wear it on your shirt, not your body!

I agree... Call me judgmental but whenever I see a woman with tattoos I immediately consider her a slut subliminally...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
For Jews the commandments must be followed regardless if there is a health benefit.
“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
Tatoos are gross!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
For Jews the commandments must be followed regardless if there is a health benefit.

I was not suggesting this as a reason to keep commandments... I am posting it to show that there are often reasons which we don't know at the  time but eventually may become known...

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »
I agree... Call me judgmental but whenever I see a woman with tattoos I immediately consider her a slut subliminally...

I think that's a bad assumption.  Most people today are sexually loose, men and women.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »
So wouldn't that make most people slutty?

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
hmmmm

Even though I wouldn't mind having a few tattoos myself i.e Israeli and American flag plus I like women with tattoos. 
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:51:56 PM »
Th e UK is a moral sewer , where anything goes! In the 1950s people behaved properly ! >:(

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
Th e UK is a moral sewer , where anything goes! In the 1950s people behaved properly ! >:(

Gotta love that promiscuity. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 11:54:19 PM »

I think hardly anyone is sexually chaste these days.  Just look at our culture.  People who elect to remain virgins before marriage are looked upon as freaks and even possibly sexually disturbed in a frigid kind of way.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:01:23 AM by Yimach Schemo to Abu mazen »

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:59 PM »
I cauldnt agree with you more!  Sex outside married life is forbidden,  permissive society of the 1960s has a lot to answer for!  Also the Welfare State! >:(

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
I think hardly anyone is sexually chaste these days.  Just look at our culture.  People who elect to remain virgins before marriage are looked upon as freaks and even possibly sexually disturbed in a frigid kind of way.  

That's very true.  It's even that bad down in here in the Southern United States.  You see college campuses with STD epidemics. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »

I don't associate with people who do that stuff... Maybe you would consider me a monk... I don't have much time outside of work for socializing. And I cut off all my old friends who were druggies and immoral and have not talked to them in over 15 years.

It is possible to remove yourself from this slimy immoral culture. I am 46 years old and have not watched television is 8 years, haven't seen a movie in the theater for a little more than 10 years, and I don't expose myself to any magazines or other pop culture.

I believe that it is essential to separate oneself from the wicked culture in order to remain sane in this world. The media is pushing so much sin just like dope to the young 'consumers' today.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:33 AM »
I will repost a blog post I wrote in December of 2008...

http://mytorah.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/%EF%BB%BFdangerous-times/

Dangerous Times

Filed under: Judaism,Religion — muman613 @ 11:25 pm
Tags: Ethics, Faith, Morality, Morals, Opinion, Television, Truth

These are dangerous times we live in. Every day we have to avoid so much ugliness or else we are pulled down into the mire. A good man guards his eyes and his ears from giving any form of attention to the temptation which swirls around him.

The Yetzer Hara constantly tries to deceive, and his arguments always sound reasonable. It is no simple matter to turn away from the offer because it seems innocent. The vulture takes advantage of his prey, knowing his weaknesses.

A modern man need only turn the television on to see the depth to which we have sunk. It is possible to pretend there is no problem, but with wisdom the issue is clear. Our culture has prostituted itself for the mighty dollar, selling sex and perversion to the masses.

The new age leads us to believe that there is no ultimate truth. As the world has gotten smaller due to technology we have also been forced to accept a wider and more accepting attitude. What has been lost is that basic ethical ideas are not unique to one culture, but ethics are a basic human requirement. We are all created in the image of the master, we all are required to have ethical conduct.

Morals can not be relative because they must be absolute. Judgment cannot be based on prejudice, it must be based on evidence. The foundations of truth cannot be changed and in order for truth to exist a moral code must have been established.

Man cannot determine what is right or wrong because he seeks to always justify his action. Even a righteous man sins, and if he is true he realizes his imperfection. People who minimize their imperfections must realize that their loving father in heaven knows his blemish. It is written: The judgment of Torah is pure, it enlightens the heart.

But just as man deals with his Yetzer Hara he also has to deal with his Yetzer Tov which is a much nicer inclination. This good inclination leads us on to do the right thing.

A servant of the master in heaven knows that no matter what occurs in the physical world, his deeds will be reckoned in the world to come. The true servant of the master sees the world of creation as a performance stage, playing out history leading toward the redemption of all of creation. Every day is a testament to his kindnesses.

The mind is calmed by thoughts of being in the divine presence. When the thoughts of heavens glory soothes the nerves they also prevent the mind from the pain of straying. We compare his presence to the light and his absence as the dark. So much pain occurs in the depth of the darkness.

It is written in Torah (Parsha Shoftim) that we must place guards at the gates of our cities. It is well known that this refers to guarding our eyes and our ears. Only through looking at the world in truth can we protect ourselves from the deception.

Some of my friends have cast the television set out of the house. They will not have it available to pollute their children. Their concerns are understandable.

In the 60′s and 70′s the television was not as dangerous as it is today. It may be due to the moral codes which were imposed on the television industry.

What are the messages we tell over to society through the medium of television? Imagine for a moment an alien race should receive humanities television broadcasts? Our societies morality is not on display on television, instead our basest activities and behaviors are exploited.

Can you look at the face of a murdered child and then the face of his accused murderer without feeling something? Then the scene of the grieving mother? When the media sticks itself into the most intimate of human frailties. Is this not voyeurism?

Who wants to see people giving themselves over to verbal insults because they endeavored for fame? Do they call these people American Idols? What kind of people idolize these cruel judges? Is it supposed to be humorous? Could it be another form of gladiator combat?

There are times it seems that there are so very many more questions than there are answers. Our father Abraham was famous for asking many questions and seeking the answers instead of accepting what he was told.

A time is coming when all of the promises will come true. In order to visualize this it is essential to clear the mind of all troubles. All questions don’t need absolute answers at this time. The answer will be found on the path of the Torah lifestyle.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 01:11:31 AM »
Tattoos have been and always will be disgusting.

I notice a lot more Negros with tattoos.  Seems like a waste of ink, since most of the time, you can barely see the tattoo.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 02:05:30 AM »

I notice a lot more Negros with tattoos.  Seems like a waste of ink, since most of the time, you can barely see the tattoo.

Oy...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
I think that's a bad assumption.  Most people today are sexually loose, men and women.

I think the same way when I see a girl with visible tattoos. Not necessarily that she's more promiscuous than others but that she doesn't really care about herself that much or she doesn't have very high moral standards. I think someone like that might be more at risk of being harmed by guys because she's sending a signal that she may be more prone to responding to their advances and they might be disappointed if she doesn't.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

I see it more on the lighter skinned ones. I think that's why in their traditional African cultures there was more of a tendency toward scarification (which leaves raised bumps on the skin) than tattooing.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
tattoos just look plain ugly.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
I think the same way when I see a girl with visible tattoos. Not necessarily that she's more promiscuous than others but that she doesn't really care about herself that much or she doesn't have very high moral standards. I think someone like that might be more at risk of being harmed by guys because she's sending a signal that she may be more prone to responding to their advances and they might be disappointed if she doesn't.

Ruby,

I will tell you a short story.  when I was in school with a lot of spoiled young brats in anatomy lab, some of the women in my class (boozers, gossipers, low end trash) said that they frequently saw people with tattoos in the small of their back, just above their backsides (and why were they looking???).  They said that this was a "slut tag."  I'd never heard of this expression before, but when I heard it, I thought these girls in my class were about as nasty as I'd ever seen a group of young people, with no 'slut tag.' As is so often the case, those who are most loud and rebellious, have the most to hide with respect to their own inner wickedness.  I felt sorry for the girl/guy with the tattoo above their backsides being the objects of their derision. I never wanted to have a tattoo, but I always tell people who tell me that they are getting one no matter what to atleast try Henna first
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:36:08 PM by Yimach Schemo to Abu mazen »

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
Muman,
Thanks for the posting

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
Tattoos, for the most part, demonstrate impulsiveness, weak foresight and a lack of respect for one's body. I am turned off by tattoos on a woman and I can't see myself ever getting one.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!