Author Topic: Palestinian converts find their ancestral history in Israel  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Palestinian converts find their ancestral history in Israel
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
Hmm. Solely was the key-word I guess... I repent for any insult I made to you. What roles does genetics play in Judaism then? Someone that can trace centuries of rabbis and scholars is different than this muslim convert, but how, in your opinion?

I forgive you..I think perhaps I miswrote or you misunderstood what I wrote.

I'm saying that just because one could potentially trace a Jewish gene..or simply trace back lineage from many many years of Jewish ancestry is simply not enough, in my opinion, to consider someone Jewish.

For example there are a lot of lost tribes from different parts of the world such as the Ben Menasseh from India or Thai Israelites or Ethiopian Israelites etc.  For some of these people, they do carry many traditions that are very common to Judaism and for many of them I have no doubt they are of Israelite "blood".  However despite that, many of these tribes have gone far off from Judaism and many have converted other religions.  To me, it doesn't matter even if the mother's mother's mother's mother was a Jew, if they are practicing something else, they still need to undergo a true conversion from an Orthodox Rabbi and preferably one from Israel.  And that person who converts needs to really practice Judaism and not pick and choose like the fake converted Jews.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
I agree that converts should practice Judaism in order to be considered as such. Two Jews that keep every law, one is a muslim convert, and the other is pure blodded and can trace back over a millineum; do you see no diffrence in them as Jews?

A true converter is just as much a Jew as one that born from their mother who is a Jew...even if the blood Jew is secular is just as much a Jew as the converted non genetic Jew.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »
A true converter is just as much a Jew as one that born from their mother who is a Jew...even if the blood Jew is secular is just as much a Jew as the converted non genetic Jew.

Yes there are several Mitzvot which concern treatment of the convert. It is clear that conversion was a part of Judaism going back to Sinai. Remember that Moses wife had to convert, as did his father-in-law the righteous convert Yitro...

And it is well know that Ruth, the great-grandmother of David HaMelch, was a convert. Thus the line of Moshiach himself is from a convert...

http://www.jewishmag.com/10mag/dt/dt.htm

The Inner Being of Ruth
By Samuel Glickstein

The book of Ruth is one of the holy books of the Bible. The book describes events that happened almost three thousand years ago. From the events that are recorded in this book, which is attributed to Samuel the prophet, we learn many interesting ideas concerning conversion to Judaism and the house of David and the Messiah. Yet in this book, there are many problematic ideas. One of them concerns the conversion of Ruth, the great-grandmother of David and the Messiah to come. In the book, she is presented as a person who marries a Jew, yet her conversion credentials are sorely lacking. To understand this monument difficulty let us first present a brief overview.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »

The Torah allows anyone who seriously wants to convert to be able to convert.Ruth converted King David's Grandmother as well as rahab a great great great etc Grandmother of King David.Now some more  Rabbi Meir, 'the miracle worker': reputedly a descendant of the Roman Emperor Nero, he lived in Asia Minor in the 2nd century, converted to Judaism and helped compile the Mishnah (Oral Law). Meir is credited with rebuilding Jewish life after the abortive Bar Kochba Rebellion. His wife, Beruriah, was a great sage in her own right. Also Onkelos: another Roman aristocrat, he became a Jew and was said to have written the famous Babylonian Targum (translation of the Tanach into Aramaic) with glosses and commentaries.  some more from wiki

Aquila of Sinope (Acylas), from traditional Greek religion[70]
Bithiah, from traditional Egyptian religion
Bulan, king of the Khazars, from traditional Khazar religion [71]
Jethro, priest of Midian and father-in-law of Moses [6], from a Mideastern religion
Makeda, queen of Sheba, from a Mideastern or Ethiopian religion[72]
Dhu Nuwas, king of Yemen, from a Mideastern religion [73]
Obadiah the prophet, from a Mideastern religion[74]
Sh'maya, Sage and President of the Sanhedrin, apparently from a Mideastern religion[75]
Avtalyon, Sage and Vice-President of the Sanhedrin, apparently from a Mideastern religion[76]
Onkelos, Hebrew scholar and translator, from ancient Roman religion[77]
Ruth, great-grandmother of King David, from a Near Eastern religion.[78]
Helena, queen of Adiabene, from traditional Greek religion. [7]
Izates bar Monobaz, king of Adiabene, from a Persian or Mideastern religion. [8]
Symacho, wife of Izates bar Monobaz, from a Persian or Mideastern religion. [9]
Monobaz II, king of Adiabene, from a Persian or Mideastern religion. [10]
Khazars, a semi-nomadic Turkic people from Central Asia (historical Khazaria), many of whom converted to Judaism en masse in the 8th and 9th Centuries CE from a Khazar religion. [11]
Osenath, from Canaanite religion (her name relates to Anat)
Zipporah, from a Mideastern or northern African religion
Yael, from Canaanite or another Near Eastern religion
Flavia Domitilla, from traditional ancient Roman religion (possibly to Jewish Christianity, as she is also a Christian saint)
Titus Flavius Clemens (consul), great-nephew of the Roman Emperor Vespasian, from traditional Roman religion (possibly to Jewish Christianity, as he is also a Christian saint)
Fulvia (wife of Saturninus), wife of Emperor Tiberius' close friend, Saturninus, from traditional Roman religion.
Tub'a Abu Kariba As'ad, from Arabian religion, was the H
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
As Rabbi Kahane used to say: "A convert is as Jewish as Rabbi Kahane."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »
Rabbi Kahane used to talk in the third person? ... he didn't in they must go

I have heard him say it several times in his lectures which are posted on youtube...

I don't know but I suspect he says it in 'Why be Jewish'...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14