Author Topic: Appendix Evolved Over 30 Times, May Perform Useful Function, Researchers Say  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
I was literally thinking about this when I read Rambam's More Nevuchim today about how G-D made everything to function and with a purpose (then I thought about the appendix and that it is said to be useless by some today) . Right now I stumbled upon this (forgetting what I thought earlier) and it just was on the aol headers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/14/appendix-evolved-over-30-times_n_2685499.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D271480

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline luke2ndamendment

• New JTFer
no such thing as evolution

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
There are certain organs that are less essential than others. People can live just fine without an appendix, or tonsils. However, that doesn't mean that these organs are necessarily useless. It just means they're not as important as the heart or the liver or the brain.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
I believe in evolution, but I believe it is by design of G-d, and we do not know his time.

Maybe these organs were more important in a earlier time. For example the tonsils, you're more likely to get sick more often. Therefore building immunity, and a fever kills viruses etc.

P.s. I just made that up.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The pipe organ certainly did evolve...

And the question of evolution is so sad. It doesn't even affect emmunah in Hashem, our G-d, in the least. While the secular atheists will think they are weakening our faith, it amuses me to what lengths they go to try to prove that humans are the same as monkeys.

I believe Hashem most definately made the entire creation for the purpose of humanity. HUmans are the image of G-d, and we have the potential to rule the world in a manner in harmony with the will of the creator. It does not matter in the least what went into creating us. The Torah provides the allegory for the reason of creation, and it is never to be seen as a biology or science text. Judaism never took everything which is written literally, as is evidenced by the confusion caused by the 'eye for eye' passage in Mishpatim which is used by the atheists to denigrate our system as vindictive and cruel.

The Torah clearly establishes an evolutionary creation, starting with the materials used to create life (water and air (heaven and earth)) and vegetative and animal life, and finally the human being. Torah teaches that the final creation was the first in Hashems thoughts when he decided to establish this reality we live in today (and Jews sing it every Friday night in Lecha Dodi). I do not believe every so-called scientific advancement announced in the media today. Science is not as stable as it appears and what are 'facts' today will be 'fallacies' tomorrow. When you get old enough you realize that what they taught you in High School about science is usually false within 20 years, and new theories and evidence are created. Science is like any other tool in the hands of mankind, it can be use for good and it can be used, more often, for bad.

So my advice to everyone is to read up on the latest theories, but always be skeptical before you accept a theory. It is the way I keep my faith strong...

See also : http://www.meaningfullife.com/torah/parsha/bereishit/bereishit/The_Creation_of_Light.php

“What is final in deed is first in thought”
from the Lecha Dodi prayer

A concept is born in its conceiver's mind. Perhaps is it the mind of an architect, or of an artist, scientist, inventor, writer - any creative mind will do. The hands that are attached to this mind are fairly itching to put pen to paper, lathe to wood and metal, color to canvass. The mind's eye is already envisioning segments of the edifice, parts of the machine, chapters of the book, experiments to test the theory. But wait, it tells itself, aren't we sort of jumping ahead of ourselves? The concept, let's get back to the concept. Is it clear?  Has it come into focus yet? The details can wait - first we must define what it is we wish to create.  What exactly is this invention going to do? What is the point of the theory? What is the book, painting or sculpture going to express? What is the function and/or aesthetic message of the structure?

Only after the concept has crystallized in his mind, does the artist or engineer get to work.  Then, as the scaffolding rises about the developing edifice, as the canvas fills and the experiments accumulate and proliferate, the concept somewhat recedes, its clarity somewhat dims. Now there are sentences to assemble, problems to solve, angles to hone. Now the focus must shift from the concept as a whole to its component parts. True, the creator is guided throughout by his original vision; but what is at the fore of his mind is the vision as it applies to the particular task at hand, rather than the transcendent vision it was at the time of its conception.

But when the last bolt is tightened, or the final cornice or door-handle fitted into place; when the last brush-stroke is satisfactorily executed or the last revision is made to the manuscript or theorem - the concept re-erupts in all its radiance and purity. This is what was meant, this is what the sleepless nights and endless days were all about. This is what preceded all, this is what receded from view while the project developed, and this is what the final culminating detail again brought to light.

What is final in deed is first in thought.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:14:18 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
That's what it comes down to. There still isn't a shred of evidence that's any more credible than Hussein Osama's birth certificate. I say it is much harder for me to believe what dictatorial elitists believe (referring to his grandfather) and what liberal commies want to prove, then what G-d says.

What do you mean what G-D says? Where does G-D rule this out? and where does he say specifically that it MUST be taken literally (the Creation story). at least the Rabbanim (Rabbis) of the Talmudh did not take the events of Breishit to be literal.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Days can be ages, Adam, even though I don't believe so, could have been the first moral man without contradicting G-d. But when G-d says he made the world and everything in it himself, this I take him at his word for. There's no religious alternative to "G-d did".

We believe G-D does everything. Including giving us food (for example) or giving us air to breath. That does not mean 1 should hold their breath and say, noo G-D will give me to breath. Or not get food for oneself saying G-D will supply it. G-D does supply it precisely by one going out and doing what they need to do (for example work, then get $ and go to store and buy the food and then eat)

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
Despite 170 years of searching worldwide, exasperated paleontolgists have given up hope of ever finding even one transitional fossil, let alone a single set to close the gaps between the phyla, classes or even species to support the supposed evolutionary line.

On the contrary, the Fossil Record shows that all forms of life appeared suddenly, existed contemporaneously and in their fully developed complex form right from the  beginning. "Neither Darwin nor any Darwinian has ever given an actual causal explanation of any single organism or any single organ" (Sir Karl Popper).

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Despite 170 years of searching worldwide, exasperated paleontolgists have given up hope of ever finding even one transitional fossil, let alone a single set to close the gaps between the phyla, classes or even species to support the supposed evolutionary line.

On the contrary, the Fossil Record shows that all forms of life appeared suddenly, existed contemporaneously and in their fully developed complex form right from the  beginning. "Neither Darwin nor any Darwinian has ever given an actual causal explanation of any single organism or any single organ" (Sir Karl Popper).
Interesting! Do you have anything to back that up? I don't have a problem with G-d saying "bam " there you go. But  I also believe that G-d may have created us as separate beings, thus leading us to the middle east, creating modern humans and giving the Torah!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Obviously that is not meant to be taken literally. G-d gets the accomplishment whether he spoon feeds us or shows us how to catch duck, so there is no relevance if it was taken literally. G-d creating the world is the accomplishment in of itself, because it makes him a active creative force. Not a stoic one that left random molecules up to chance, but an intelligent designer who both chose and made them in that exact manner, and to be that exact thing.

If it was chance that random atoms got together to create the universe, then that's one hell f a perfect accident!  Does that prove evolution wrong?  In my opinion it proves that Gd exists, created everything on purpose and created us in a scientific spiritual magical way. Just because apes and humans might have originated from a common source doesn't disprove Gd. It only proves that if we physically evolved this way, Gd was quite clever in teaching something about us that we started like dust. After all all living things originated from a single atom that formed a complex amino acid which developed into an organism with no nucleus but branched out into single celled alge that later became the plants and trees and the otherside became mitochondria of other cells and the cells all joined to become sea animals and have branched out to become all types of animals including Homo sapiens.

It's scientific logical and extraordinarily Gdly. To me Gd creating the physical world like this is a much more a miracle than a Gd that simply uses a magic "finger".

Does evolution of the physical form of man explain how we ended up with a soul and dominion over the world and the ability to have free will?  No. Only that bible can explain it logically in the first books of genesis. It's the bible Gd gave to us that explains why we are different from animals. It gives a logical explanation of morality and how we have evolved especially Jews.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
If anyone believes that from a one-celled organism you can end up with a human being, I've got the name of a mental institution that I can recommend to you.

And how interesting that eyes and ears (2 each yet!) can just develop on their own.  And on its own, it can figure out that it needs eye lids and eye lashes and a pupil and opens and closes, as well as eye brows.  Not to mention a retina that connects to the brain, as well as vitreous to bathe the eye with nutrients in utero. Imagine that! 

Anyone who would believe this would believe that, if they washed up on a desert island in the Pacific and saw a watch in the sand, they would believe that metal just happened to also wash up on the island and combine itself into a watch with moving parts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:38:52 AM by IsraelForever »

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
The process of evolution itself was created by G_D himself.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline luke2ndamendment

• New JTFer

no such thing as evolution, it's a fairy tale created by darwin, who was not a scientist, but a failed divinity student.  darwin himself admitted there is zero evidence of evolution, and 200 years later there is still zero evidence of evolution.  it's a myth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:15:15 AM by luke2ndamendment »

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
If anyone believes that from a one-celled organism you can end up with a human being, I've got the name of a mental institution that I can recommend to you.

Do you know how babies are formed? You think a baby is made by taking different mud and other substances and putting them together? NO it is a 1 cell that combines with an egg that produces a human being. Soo why is that not problematic for you then? Or maybe you do not agree to that process being true?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member

exactly

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
no such thing as evolution, it's a fairy tale created by darwin, who was not a scientist, but a failed divinity student.  darwin himself admitted there is zero evidence of evolution, and 200 years later there is still zero evidence of evolution.  it's a myth.

Prove it!!! This isn't proof..this is just opinion.  Prove that evolution is a myth. 

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
I believe in evolution, but I believe it is by design of G-d, and we do not know his time.

Maybe these organs were more important in a earlier time. For example the tonsils, you're more likely to get sick more often. Therefore building immunity, and a fever kills viruses etc.

P.s. I just made that up.
Exactly, that is the whole reason we have vestigial organs.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member

Do you know how babies are formed? You think a baby is made by taking different mud and other substances and putting them together? NO it is a 1 cell that combines with an egg that produces a human being. Soo why is that not problematic for you then? Or maybe you do not agree to that process being true?

Precisely!!!  In fact..it starts out with two half cells that combine into one cell which then multiplies and then specializes into different body parts and organs.  Someone who has no training in science/medicine, has no say on whether or not evolution existed or didn't exist.  And those who are devoid in their belief in a master Creator, has no say on religion or morality!

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer

thing is...

BOOM!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Thought I had to post this for good laugh:

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
Years ago evolutionists claimed that the body was replete with useless organs, vestiges of some mythical prehistoric existence. The list ran to over 150 organs: the caudal musculature, the thymus gland, the external ear muscles, the 3rd molar, the recurrent laryngeal nerve, coccyx bone, knee menisci, tonsils, pituitary gland, appendix etc.

The long-slandered appendix is now known to be an important part of the GALT (Gut Associated Lymphoidal Tissue) with an important immunological function and is not to be casually removed. 

"He would be a rash man indeed who would now say that any part of the body is useless!" (Professor Goodrich, Oxford).

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:58:02 PM by Yerusha »

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
except people do get their appendixes removed and casually go on with their lives afterwards.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
the appendix is useful until it is about to burst...then you remove and not worry about replacing it.  The same is true of tonsils and third molars.  But if they don't have to be removed, let them be.  I think that's the important point.

Offline luke2ndamendment

• New JTFer
How do we refute the proofs of the Evolutionists?  We need refute nothing, for they have produced not a single proof.  ---Rabbi Avigdor Miller, Rejoice O Youth, paragraph 24.