Author Topic: Doombergs Fascist Laws Blocked by Sane Judge  (Read 1304 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Doombergs Fascist Laws Blocked by Sane Judge
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
The Nanny State which the evil Michael Doomberg (Aka Bloomberg) envisions is being blocked from implementation by a sane judge in NYC. Doomberg thinks he has the power, and the mandate, to micromanage what NY residents eat and drink. This is the most intrusive legislation to date which permits the state to limit the sale of so-called 'sugary' drinks. While I am all for encouraging healthy life practices I am staunchly against having legislation which tells us what to eat and what not to eat. In a free country we are permitted to buy, sell, and indulge in anything which is not damaging to others.

US judge blocks New York ban on giant sodas
By Brigitte Dusseau (AFP) – 19 minutes ago 

NEW YORK — A judge in New York on Monday blocked city mayor Michael Bloomberg's planned ban on giant sodas, just a few hours before restrictions on the sale of such drinks were due to come into effect.
Judge Milton Tingling ruled that the measures to restrict soda servings to a maximum of 16 ounces (470 milliliters) in fast-food and other restaurants, was an "arbitrary" measure and he was barring the plan "permanently."

The mayor responded immediately on Twitter, saying he planned "to appeal the sugary drinks decision as soon as possible, and we are confident the measure will ultimately be upheld."

"We believe @nycHealthy has the legal authority and responsibility to tackle causes of the obesity epidemic, which kills 5,000 NYers a year."

Bloomberg, who has made public health a key plank of his administration, banning smoking in restaurants, bars and most lately parks and beaches, was due to speak on the court decision later Monday.

But his super-sized soda ban sparked a stormy debate, with petitions and media campaigns from both sides.

Some supported Bloomberg's arguments, emphasizing that 30 years ago the average soda serving was just six ounces, but that these days, it's not rare to see young Americans with giant sodas that are more than a liter (33 ounces).

Opinion polls over the summer, however, indicated that a majority of New Yorkers opposed the limited ban, with some suggesting the mayor was impinging on civil liberties and others arguing the rules would not be effective.

Industry lobby groups led by the American Beverage Association and the National Restaurant Association took the city to court over the measure.

As well as the thousands who die each year from obesity-linked problems, one in eight adult New Yorkers has diabetes, which can be aggravated by sugar consumption, and studies have shown that sodas, which often cost less than bottled water, contribute to the problem.

"Sugary drink consumption is a key driver of the obesity epidemic in the US and in New York. And it is an epidemic," Bloomberg had said when promoting the ban.

The New York Board of Health approved the measures last September and they were due to come into force on Tuesday in restaurants and places of public entertainment, such as stadiums.
In a boost for the soda limits, the newly-built basketball stadium for the Brooklyn Nets had said it would immediately adopt the rules.

But under the measures put forward by the city there was nothing to stop people from buying as much soda as they like by refilling smaller containers.

Also, the ban did not extend to drinks sold in supermarkets or any dairy or fruit drinks, many of which also contain huge quantities of sugar.

Diet and alcoholic drinks were also exempted under the city's plan.

"The exclusion of all alcoholic beverages from the ban is completely irrational. Beer and soda have nearly the same calories per ounce," the plaintiff's complaint said.

"The application of the ban to some business establishments but not others is arbitrary and capricious," it argued.

Bloomberg had acknowledged the measure would fall short of ending over-indulgence of sugary drinks, but he said the disappearance of mega-sized cups would at least make people more aware of what they were consuming.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Doombergs Fascist Laws Blocked by Sane Judge
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
If Bloomberg had been wiser, he would have significantly increased taxes on these junk foods. There is more money in it and income tax and tolls don't have to be added.

Boy would I like to smack him in the face in trying to pull off this stunt.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
If Bloomberg had been wiser, he would have significantly increased taxes on these junk foods. There is more money in it and income tax and tolls don't have to be added.

Boy would I like to smack him in the face in trying to pull off this stunt.

The issue I have with taxation... is it would become like cigarettes... where it is nothing more than a cash cow to support totally ridiculous government waste.... ive seen it in California.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »
Hey, I'm a Coke fiend... I'm sorry if it makes me look bad but I drink a 12 pack of Coke a day... And while my health is not perfect I am not in that bad shape according to my doctors...

I think that the government has no business telling me how much and what I can drink or eat.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »
Hey, I'm a Coke fiend... I'm sorry if it makes me look bad but I drink a 12 pack of Coke a day... And while my health is not perfect I am not in that bad shape according to my doctors...

I think that the government has no business telling me how much and what I can drink or eat.

Why would you do such a thing for yourself? Have you ever thought of cutting the habit out..for your own personal benefit?
I've had friends in the same predicament who have left the soda habit after substituting it with a frequent water drinking habit and have found soda disgusting afterwards. I do however agree that government is way out of line in trying to tell people what to eat or drink..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »
Why would you do such a thing for yourself? Have you ever thought of cutting the habit out..for your own personal benefit?
I've had friends in the same predicament who have left the soda habit after substituting it with a frequent water drinking habit and have found soda disgusting afterwards. I do however agree that government is way out of line in trying to tell people what to eat or drink..

I have said that I will quit the coke some-day. I am able to do without it on the fast days although I used to have a problem on Yom Kippur with caffeine headaches, but the last few years I had no problems.

I do not advocate that anyone should drink as much Coke or any cola as much as I do. I suppose I should consider when I will make the move to quit sometime this year (usually right before the Jewish new year)...

PS: I suppose the answer to 'why' I drink so much is that I have become used to the caffeine 'high' and it keeps me going through my long and hard day. I drive 2 1/2 - 3 hours a day just going to and from work... I put in 8 hours at the keyboard and don't get home till 9-10pm, get home watch youtube for an hour and post on JTF, and then sleep... Maybe that's my 'excuse'...

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
.....but I drink a 12 pack of Coke a day... And while my health is not perfect....
WHAT?????

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 01:19:28 AM »
Nobody is perfect... And drinking coke is a pretty light sin, one I think I can repent for... Do you think there is a special place in hell for those who drink this much coke?

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:46:34 AM »

wow...  I do hope you gut down on that.  I also used to drink way too much soda...  Ive supplemented that with fruit/veggie smoothies.  Its a nice replacement.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »

I agree the government should stay out of peoples business... People should just learn how to control themselves if the have a weight problem... Bloomberg did not know how dumb he sounded when he said the other day that people can just buy two drinks instead of one if they need to have the extra large drink... Does the stupid animal really think that fast food places are going to drop the prices when they shrink the drinks to the required size?  The world is just becoming a sick place with all the so called for peoples own good restrictions... Even though it did not effect me because I don't actually live in the city and in most cases never really buy the larger sizes I am glad that the judge blocked this stupidity even if it ends up being temporary... Muman a nice cup of coffee no milk or sugar in the morning and one in the afternoon would be far better for you if you need the caffeine than all that soada... I like drinking coke myself but one or two cans a day is my limit.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 06:31:11 AM »

Well muman as your friend, STOP IT!  bad for your teeth and health and it will get worse. STOP IT!  Stop drinking coke and drunk an alternative such as seltzer or water. Coke is bad for you and if there is one person that I want to see live a long time it's you.  So STOP IT!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:44 AM »
Do drink tea.  I got my wife to quit coffee and now if I slipped even a quarter tea spoon of even light coffee she would notice and have the worst headaches. 

Stop with the cola. Give it up.

I have said that I will quit the coke some-day. I am able to do without it on the fast days although I used to have a problem on Yom Kippur with caffeine headaches, but the last few years I had no problems.

I do not advocate that anyone should drink as much Coke or any cola as much as I do. I suppose I should consider when I will make the move to quit sometime this year (usually right before the Jewish new year)...

PS: I suppose the answer to 'why' I drink so much is that I have become used to the caffeine 'high' and it keeps me going through my long and hard day. I drive 2 1/2 - 3 hours a day just going to and from work... I put in 8 hours at the keyboard and don't get home till 9-10pm, get home watch youtube for an hour and post on JTF, and then sleep... Maybe that's my 'excuse'...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
Nobody is perfect... And drinking coke is a pretty light sin, one I think I can repent for... Do you think there is a special place in hell for those who drink this much coke?

Dude if I were you i would support an all out ban of it to force me to quit.

Why do all the great jtfers have addictions that really shorten their lifespan? 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »
Btw ever since I seldom drink anything outside of water/ seltzer such as coke, orange juice, any juice, soft drinks,  that alone has helped me lose a ton of weight....back when I was in school. My blood pressure has gone from pre hypertensive to normal and my cholesterol has gone down as well.

I look at father who just turned 80. He has all his teeth, looks 60, still works, rarely gets ill, and has enough strength to exercise. And he doesn't touch coke and only drinks tea if he needs caffeine.

I hope my parents lives an extremely long time. People with good diets usually do. Junk food should be hard to obtain and healthy food really cheap. In a world of decadence, anything that can be done to reverse things is a good thing.

Bloomberg is a moron since his stupid law has loopholes. He really should raise taxes on junk food. Chaim has said it best in the past and it makes a ton of sense.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
Bloomberg thinks the people he rules are little children and have to be educated by the strong pawn of papa in order to behave correct. Wjhat an offense towards free men. The citizens of NY are nuts to vote for such an oppressor who obviously despises them.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
Btw ever since I seldom drink anything outside of water/ seltzer such as coke, orange juice, any juice, soft drinks,  that alone has helped me lose a ton of weight....back when I was in school. My blood pressure has gone from pre hypertensive to normal and my cholesterol has gone down as well.

I look at father who just turned 80. He has all his teeth, looks 60, still works, rarely gets ill, and has enough strength to exercise. And he doesn't touch coke and only drinks tea if he needs caffeine.

I hope my parents lives an extremely long time. People with good diets usually do. Junk food should be hard to obtain and healthy food really cheap. In a world of decadence, anything that can be done to reverse things is a good thing.

Bloomberg is a moron since his stupid law has loopholes. He really should raise taxes on junk food. Chaim has said it best in the past and it makes a ton of sense.
Is the answer to everything now days to increase the tax? Some people can eat whatever they like and never have a problem so why should they be made to suffer and restrict themselves along with the ones who shouldn't... People who usually end up with health problems because of what they eat and do will most likely end up with the same medical problems over time even if they do everything 100% right... The key is moderation not being controlled by the all encompassing nanny state like a trained dog.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
Bloomberg thinks the people he rules are little children and have to be educated by the strong pawn of papa in order to behave correct. Wjhat an offense towards free men. The citizens of NY are nuts to vote for such an oppressor who obviously despises them.

Bloomberg "rules" worse than little children.  Who are the majority of individuals addicted to junk food?  People who don't exercise free will....that makes them less than little children.

Now I don't support this silly law that Bloomberg was attempting to pass since it would never work and would only lead to a mockery of a new law.  But I support an attempt, either as tax incentive to businesses to not sell junk food, increasing taxes on junk food, lowering the cost of healthy foods, and/or all of the above.

I'm sure it'll piss people off, but it is a step in the right direction for the sake of health.  Besides, people still have a choice and none of the junk food will be illegal.   

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
Finally. I was hoping someone would call me out on the raise taxes thing, but this works. Back when the cowboys roamed the plains, everything was very lightly taxed, and there was no problem with people eating too much cow fat. I am, however for banning certain products. The is no moderate amount of many times cooked sugar that turns into a hideous black paste. There is no moderate amount of skin toxicants, irritants and synthetic estrogen in shampoo. There is no moderate amount of sugar to smoke, or any other additive to cigarettes that is highly carcinogenic when inhaled. There is no moderate amount of heroin.

America could make the highest quality products, and things would improve faster, and they would become cheap. Instead they devote themselves to the cheapest crap, so good stuff becomes expensive and advancement halts. I don't think it is a coincidence or simply the result of the free market that everything has moved to China. They're better at cheap and irresponsible. Imagine how healthy the American population today would be if every soft drink contained raw sugar, or were all replaced with fruit beverages, or other healthier drinks.
Well, people have to decide if they want government to make every decision under the sun for them or they don't... It's not a pick and choose... As anyone who cares to see sees once government has their nose under the tent they are into your business... First it was smoking, what sort of oils eating establishments and food processors can cook with  now what and how much food people eat and drink... Being a bit older than some here I was clearly not educated to accept this type of oversight nor do I actually need it... As I said people today are clearly becoming a set of retards that need to practically have their rump wiped for them by the almighty government... G-d have mercy on whats becoming of the human race.   

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
Well, people have to decide if they want government to make every decision under the sun for them or they don't... It's not a pick and choose... As anyone who cares to see sees once government has their nose under the tent they are into your business... First it was smoking, what sort of oils eating establishments and food processors can cook with  now what and how much food people eat and drink... Being a bit older than some here I was clearly not educated to accept this type of oversight nor do I actually need it... As I said people today are clearly becoming a set of retards that need to practically have their rump wiped for them by the almighty government... G-d have mercy on whats becoming of the human race.   

For me, it's not whether or not the government is big or small.  For me, it's if the government is righteous and not above the law versus evil and thinks it's above the law.

So when it is a righteous thing that government tries to impose, I'm for it.  If they are above the law, I'm against it.  If it is an attempt (which it could be with Bloomberg) to make more totalitarian laws that are harmful for society, then I'm against it.

The irony of all this is how Bloomberg demands forcing people to do portion control, but doesn't demand laws against gross immorality such as abortions and homosexual marriage.  If he thinks he's doing something good, he's greatly mistaken.