Author Topic: I Have A Stupid Question So Please Bear With Me  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I Have A Stupid Question So Please Bear With Me
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:27 PM »
I've always been curious as to why Israel is always referred to as a state rather than a country.  Why is that?  Why is no other country described as a state? 

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
Re: I Have A Stupid Question So Please Bear With Me
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »
I've always been curious as to why Israel is always referred to as a state rather than a country.  Why is that?  Why is no other country described as a state?

Actually "state" is synonymous with "country". There's really no difference between the two. As to why no other country is regularly referred to as "the state of...", beats me.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
I have a better question
Why is it that the only state or country who's existence is under questioning, is the ONLY jewish country in existence?
That's a more frightening question..

Offline Mein Koran

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
I have a better question
Why is it that the only state or country who's existence is under questioning, is the ONLY jewish country in existence?
That's a more frightening question..

There was once an Arab named Mohammad.....
Islam is retarded - Geert Wilders, peace be upon him

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »

Only Americans don't know that in most places, the state is the same as a country. The State is the government but the Land is the country. So saying Eretz Yisrael (The Land of Israel) is like calling it a country. When talking about Israel since 1948, we say the State to diffentiate it from the British Mandate and the other occupiers that preceded it.

In the United States, there are 50 states in a federal union. Israel is one state with 6 districts (7 if you include Judea and Samaria as a district. It's more like a territory, compared to American states before statehood.). Each district is like a county in an American state. Israel does not have a federal government like the United States or countries with a similar system of government such as Mexico which also has states or Australia which has states (But they have the Queen rather than a federal President.). Canada is also similar but it has provinces which are more powerful than American states. Canada can be compared to a Confederation rather than a Federation.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
With almost no exception, every modern country is a state. A state is when the government has the monopoly over the legitimate use of force in a territory, so city-states are like Athens, but a country-state, which might be the technical term, is when a government that people support rules over a country. America is a state.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State

Political science [edit]

* State (polity), an organized political community, living under a government

* Sovereign state, a sovereign political entity in public international law

* "State", in some contexts virtually synonymous with "government", e.g., to distinguish state (government) from private schools

* Nation state, a state which coincides with a nation

* Federated state, a political entity forming part of a federal sovereign state such as the USA, Australia, India, and Brazil

* Member state, a member of an international organization
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »
* State (polity), an organized political community, living under a government

In Israel, the Government means the current PM and his ministers. The State is the whole institution including the 3 brances of seperation of powers (Knesset, PM and the Executive branch of ministers which is called the Government, and the courts which act like dicators in Israel.). In prosections, the Attorney General represents the State. Attorney General is not a cabinet position in Israel.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
There was once an Arab named Mohammad.....

I think this is one of the funniest names that I have ever seen

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »
What HiWarp said.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
United "States" of America?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
As to why no other country is regularly referred to as "the state of...", beats me.

The official name of Israel is the State of Israel. Maybe others aren't called states more often because they use names like "the Republic of ____" or the "____ Republic".

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »

The official name of Israel is the State of Israel. Maybe others aren't called states more often because they use names like "the Republic of ____" or the "____ Republic".

The city state of Athens was a republic, but was only a city state. America is a republic and a state.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 06:34:40 AM »
The city state of Athens was a republic, but was only a city state. America is a republic and a state.

The city state of Athens was a democracy, not a republic. The citizens did not elect representatives, they actually participated in their governance.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »
The city state of Athens was a democracy, not a republic. The citizens did not elect representatives, they actually participated in their governance.

That's direct vs. representative democracy. Athens was a republic.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »
Oh! Now I get it. Apart from the main state of Israel, its other states are hidden between Nile, Euphrates, Hittites and Aden and G_d willing they may be visible on any (good) day.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
Oh! Now I get it. Apart from the main state of Israel, its other states are hidden between Nile, Euphrates, Hittites and Aden and G_d willing they may be visible on any (good) day.

Not completely sure I follow.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
Not completely sure I follow.

I think I am talking about the Greater Israel.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
I think I am talking about the Greater Israel.

That is what I thought. May we see the United States of Israel in our lifetime.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
That is what I thought. May we see the United States of Israel in our lifetime.

We will have The United Kingdom of Israel including the 12 tribal portions under King Mashiach like under King Solomon. There will not be a federal system like the US.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »

We will have The United Kingdom of Israel including the 12 tribal portions under King Mashiach like under King Solomon. There will not be a federal system like the US.

Federalism isn't really against the bible. By all accounts, it'll be a federative monarchy, with different levels of power cooperating.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
Federalism isn't really against the bible. By all accounts, it'll be a federative monarchy, with different levels of power cooperating.

The United States system is actually based on Biblical Israel because the Founding Fathers were Righteous Gentiles.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »

The United States system is actually based on Biblical Israel because the Founding Fathers were Righteous Gentiles.

The concept itself I believe came from the native Americans, who organized their government with cooperating tribes having jurisdiction over their own territories, and some "federal" powers given to the union.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »
That's direct vs. representative democracy. Athens was a republic.

Since the citizens of Athens did not vote for representatives that they sent to the assembly, which is typically what is defined as a republican form of government, but were directly involved in the affairs of the city-state, I don't know what you mean when you call it a republic.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Since the citizens of Athens did not vote for representatives that they sent to the assembly, which is typically what is defined as a republican form of government, but were directly involved in the affairs of the city-state, I don't know what you mean when you call it a republic.

Republic means there is no absolute monarch, but if people don't vote for their rulers, then it wouldn't be a republic, so then Athens wouldn't be. Thanks for the historical brush-up. Them being directly involved in legislation has no bearing on this, however.