Author Topic: Take advantage of secure connections to our site (updated HTTPS certificates)  (Read 7330 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
We now have updated security certificates if you wish to take advantage of secure connections to our site.

Simply access the site via HTTPS instead of HTTP or make a shortcut to this link:

https://jtf.org/forum

This creates an encrypted channel between you and our server for extra protection and privacy.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
works.
I didn't get a scarey message.

you should enforce ssl on all members.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
You should sticky this. And what is it for?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
You should sticky this. And what is it for?

Shlomo said what it is for... HTTPS is an encrypted HTTP (web) connection. Usually all information transferred between you and the server goes over the wire in what is called 'plain text' which means that anyone (usually referring to Big Brother, or others you do not want to read your personal information) could snoop on the 'packets' which are sent as part of the TCP/IP protocol and determine what you are reading and writing. Within an organization it is possible for IT to monitor all network connections (either by human monitoring, or software monitoring) so they can (if they want) determine what employees are doing with the network.

Now HTTPS provides an encryption/decryption layer where only the sender and receiver know who they are communicating with and outsiders will not be able to determine the contents of the packets (which appear as random information to the observer)...

I think I will soon start to use the HTTPS connection here at work...

Thank you Shlomo..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Https

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is a communications protocol for secure communication over a computer network, with especially wide deployment on the Internet. Technically, it is not a protocol in and of itself; rather, it is the result of simply layering the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) on top of the SSL/TLS protocol, thus adding the security capabilities of SSL/TLS to standard HTTP communications.

In its popular deployment on the internet, HTTPS provides authentication of the web site and associated web server that one is communicating with, which protects against man-in-the-middle attacks. Additionally, it provides bidirectional encryption of communications between a client and server, which protects against eavesdropping and tampering with and/or forging the contents of the communication.[1] In practice, this provides a reasonable guarantee that one is communicating with precisely the web site that one intended to communicate with (as opposed to an imposter), as well as ensuring that the contents of communications between the user and site cannot be read or forged by any third party.

Historically, HTTPS connections were primarily used for payment transactions on the World Wide Web, e-mail and for sensitive transactions in corporate information systems. In the late 2000s and early 2010s, HTTPS began to see widespread use for protecting page authenticity on all types of websites, securing accounts and keeping user communications, identity and web browsing private.

A site must be completely hosted over HTTPS, without having some of its contents loaded over HTTP, or the user will be vulnerable to some attacks and surveillance. E.g. Having scripts etc. loaded insecurely on an HTTPS page makes the user vulnerable to attacks. Also having only a certain page that contains sensitive information (such as a log-in page) of a website loaded over HTTPS, while having the rest of the website loaded over plain HTTP will expose the user to attacks. On a site that has sensitive information somewhere on it, every time that site is accessed with HTTP instead of HTTPS, the user and the session will get exposed. Similarly, cookies on a site served through HTTPS have to have the secure attribute enabled.[2]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shlomo,

There is an issue when using HTTPS with the forum...

The issue is that inline-videos do not appear when using the secure HTTP protocol. I don't know why this is the case, but it is something you should look into...

For example:

(will not display when using https)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_FL1s5bps

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Shlomo,

There is an issue when using HTTPS with the forum...

The issue is that inline-videos do not appear when using the secure HTTP protocol. I don't know why this is the case, but it is something you should look into...

For example:

(will not display when using https)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_FL1s5bps
I can see the embedded video through https.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I can see the embedded video through https.

When accessing JTF using https://jtf.org/forum the inline video is not displayed...

https://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,69641.msg595904.html#msg595904

It definitely is not working from my work connection.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
mike, I just saw the youtube video. I'm on ssl right now.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
mike, I just saw the youtube video. I'm on ssl right now.

Strange,

It still is not working in my google chrome Version 27.0.1453.93 browser...

I will try on Saturday night (after Shabbat is over) from home...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Strange,

It still is not working in my google chrome Version 27.0.1453.93 browser...

I will try on Saturday night (after Shabbat is over) from home...

how the hell are they in version 27? chrome has only been around a few years.
even microsoft internet extinguisher is in ver 10 and they have been around since the nutscrape navigator days. we're talking about the 1990s.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Silver Star JTF Member
Could someone sticky this?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Still unable to see embedded videos when using HTTPS...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Ok... It seems that HTTPS works with short youtube links (with the youtu.be address)...

But the full youtube.com link doesnt seem to display:

• Silver Star JTF Member
Yes, you have to go to  youtube on a computer version and copy from the share address, a mobile url will not work...

If we are even talking about the same thing...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Yes, you have to go to  youtube on a computer version and copy from the share address, a mobile url will not work...

If we are even talking about the same thing...

I observe that a full youtube link to a video will not display when accessing the site using HTTPS address... But if I use the shortened URL from the 'share video' which has a doman of youtu.be then the video does display when using HTTPS.

• Silver Star JTF Member
I observe that a full youtube link to a video will not display when accessing the site using HTTPS address... But if I use the shortened URL from the 'share video' which has a doman of youtu.be then the video does display when using HTTPS.
Agreed.

• Silver Star JTF Member
Could someone sticky this?
Why didn't someone tell me you just have to add a s to http?  ??? ???

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
Good to know this!

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
Also glad for the tips on spying by... Verizon, Google, Yahoo, and other email websites.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
Unfortunately, if you view the site in HTTPS, the videos will not display because they are not HTTPS (called mixed-mode content).

Firefox added this blocking in the latest version. Here is a work around... albeit a terrible work around that only works for one page at a time:
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2013/05/16/mixed-content-blocking-in-firefox-aurora/
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
Ok, i dont know nothing about computers but for some reason when i post a youtube video i only see the link and not the screen-video... Someone knows what to do?
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
There is a "share" box bellow every youtube video, post the link from there and it will be embedded.
Ok, i dont know nothing about computers but for some reason when i post a youtube video i only see the link and not the screen-video... Someone knows what to do?

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
There is a "share" box bellow every youtube video, post the link from there and it will be embedded.

Aye that is working thank you!
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''