Author Topic: Are tigers and lions breaking Halacha by mating in the wild?  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Are tigers and lions breaking Halacha by mating in the wild?
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:45:13 AM »

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Are tigers and lions breaking Halacha by mating in the wild?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
Are humans breaking Halacha by breeding them together?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:36:10 AM »
Are humans breaking Halacha by breeding them together?

IDK. what about mules?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
IDK. what about mules?

I think there is a specific source that someone in the Bible created mules and that it was a bad thing.

I also looked up hybrids of humans and apes and it showed the offspring of a Chinese woman that said she was raped by an ape. I wonder what the Halachic status of such an offspring is.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
It is absurd to ask if human are breaking halacha by animals mating in the wild.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
It is absurd to ask if human are breaking halacha by animals mating in the wild.

No, humans breed them in special zoos.

If they breed in the wild, then they are guilty of the same sin that the animals in Noah's time were guilty of, breeding outside their species. The question is if tigers and lions are Halachically considered two breeds of the same species or two different species. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »
Good question...

I don't have the time at the moment to listen to this discussion of the topic concerning the mitzvah of not cross-breeding animals.

http://www.ouradio.orgwww.ouradio.org/torah/article/mitzvah_244_crossbreeding_animals#.UmRnRpyJB-M

http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/publicat/hazon/tzedaka/respect.htm

Respecting the Separate Species

Dear Friends,

The spiritual culture of the Community of Israel differs in certain ways from the modern western culture that we were raised in. It is therefore not surprising that many of us approach the teachings and precepts of the Torah with the biases and outlooks of the culture that we were raised in. For example, one does not have to be a historian to realize that modern western culture has stressed the idea that the human being is the owner and sovereign of the earth and its creatures. It is therefore difficult for many of us to understand and appreciate the various mitzvos of the Torah which instill in our consciousness the following truth: "To the Compassionate One belongs the earth and its fullness, the inhabited land and those who dwell in it" (Psalm 24:1).

I therefore hope that as our series progresses, we can strive to put aside the cultural biases of our upbringing and thereby open our hearts and our minds to the holistic vision of our Torah. In this spirit, we shall discuss the following mitzvah which limits human power over the species:

"Keep My statutes; you must not mix animal species by crossbreeding" (Leviticus 19:19.)

"Keep My statutes" - Keep the laws of my world which I already established (Talmud, Sanhedrin 60a). When did the Creator establish these laws? These are the laws of nature which the Creator established when the world was created. Included in these laws are the ways in which separate species maintain their existence and reproduce themselves; thus, we are to maintain the existence of the diverse species and avoid crossbreeding. (Commentary of Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch to Leviticus 19:19.)

The above mitzvah calls upon us to maintain the separate species and avoid crossbreeding. The Sefer Ha-Chinuch, is a classical work on the Torah's mitzvos, and it states that the underlying principle of this mitzvah is found in the following verse: "And the Just One saw all that He had made, and lo! It was very good! (Genesis 1:31). The Sefer Ha-Chinuch adds: "Now, since the Just One knows that everything He made is holistically suited to its purpose, as it is needed in His world, He commanded each and every species to produce offspring of its own kind." (Mitzvah 244)

Rabbi Hirsch discusses this mitzvah in Horeb, his classical work on the mitzvos, and he explains that this Divine mandate is a call to respect the Divine order within creation. He writes:

"We hear the call: Look around, O human being, look around you in the great household of the universe. See how every being which lives and develops has the great law 'for its own species' imprinted upon it by God. According to this law, every creature first transforms all that it absorbs from creation into suitable food for itself, enlarging itself, and then uses the surplus of its corresponding powers to generate a being similar to itself. See how every self-developing being, plant and animal, lives for itself and for its species. Watch this law of Divine order in the universe and respect it in your own human activities, to perfect your own essential human self. Do not forget that God has summoned you to the task of serving the world and cultivating it protectively, but not to enter destructively into this orderly course of development through your self-seeking." (Chapter 57)

Rabbi Hirsch stresses that each creature is meant to preserve its own unique species, and he adds: "It is in this way, as such single beings, each gifted with powers of development for itself and its species, that the independent animal and the trees and plants which grow from the womb of Mother Earth stand before you. To mix and graft various species of animals and plants is to make a mockery of this law of creation."

"To the Compassionate One belongs the earth and its fullness, the inhabited land and those who dwell in it" (Psalm 24:1).

Shalom,
Yosef Ben Shlomo Hakohen (See below)

Related Teachings:

1. The same verse which prohibits the crossbreeding of animals also prohibits the crossbreeding of seeds, as it is states, "you shall not plant your field with mixed seed" (Levticius 19:19). As Rabbi Hirsch explains in his commentary on this verse, this prohibition is only referring to a form of planting which leads to crossbreeding. As a result, writes Rabbi Hirsch, "it is permitted to sow two different varieties of seed one next to the other provided that one separates them properly."

It is also prohibited to graft one kind of tree on to another tree. The Torah's prohibition against crossbreeding trees applies both in the Land of Israel and in the rest of the world; however, the Torah's prohibition against crossbreeding seeds only applies in the Land of Israel. Rabbi Hirsch discusses a possible reason for this distinction in Horeb (chapter 57). Rabbi Hirsch also discusses the various aspects of these laws; however, if after reading this chapter you have further questions, please consult with a rabbi who is familiar with the agricultural laws of the Torah.

2. The Ramban (Nachmanides) is one of the classical biblical commentators, and in his commentary on the prohibition against crossbreeding seeds, he refers to a deeper, kabbalistic reason for this mitzvah.

3. "Keep My statutes; you must not mix animal species by crossbreeding" (Leviticus 19:19). – Rabbi Hirsch indicated that the "statues" referred to in this verse are the laws of nature which the Creator established when the world was created. A similar interpretation is found in the commentaries of the Netziv (He'emek Davar) and the Torah Temimah. The Netziv also refers us to the Midrash Rabbah on the words, "If you will follow My statutes" (Leviticus 26:1). The Midrash Rabbah states: "If you will follow the statutes through which I created heaven and earth!" The Netziv explains that this Midrash also applies to our verse which prohibits crossbreeding, which is a violation of the natural laws which enable each species to reproduce itself.

Your question is a valid one Binyamin, as this is discussed as in context of the generation of the flood of Noah...

http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/kahn/archives/noach68.htm

Animals corrupted

The Talmud (Sanhedrin 108a) asks why did G'd decide to destroy the whole world. Only the human beings had sinned. The animals did not sin. The Talmud answers with a parable. A certain gentleman prepared an elaborate wedding for his son. He built a magnificent canopy and prepared a festive meal with many dishes for the special occasion. Unfortunately, the groom passed away before the wedding took place. In his grief, the father dismantled the canopy and gave all the food away. All the while, he kept saying: "What is the purpose of all this? I prepared it all for my son. Now that he died, what do I need it for?" In the same way, says the Talmud, G'd said: "I created all the animals for the benefit of man. Now that man has sinned, what is the purpose of all the animals?" The Talmud further relates that the people were so corrupt that they cohabited with the animals and experimented with all kinds of cross-breeding amongst the different animals. The Midrash Rabba (28:8) explains that even the animals had been influenced by the corruption of human beings and were cross-breeding among themselves. But also amongst the animals there were some who only cohabited with their own species. G'd wanted to save these animals and instructed Noah to take two of each of the impure species and seven of the pure species along with him into the ark.

I will attempt to look more into this question after I get home from the event I am going to this evening...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:47:48 AM »

No, humans breed them in special zoos.

If they breed in the wild, then they are guilty of the same sin that the animals in Noah's time were guilty of, breeding outside their species. The question is if tigers and lions are Halachically considered two breeds of the same species or two different species.
They are two different breeds and that's why ligers and tigons are most often sterile and as far as I know at least in the liger case it always suffers from poor health due to excessive growth. So I don't know what the halacha says in this case (probably forbids it I would guess) but biologically speaking you can see they are incompatible and shouldn't cross breed.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »

I think there is a specific source that someone in the Bible created mules and that it was a bad thing.

I also looked up hybrids of humans and apes and it showed the offspring of a Chinese woman that said she was raped by an ape. I wonder what the Halachic status of such an offspring is.
Have mercy  :o :::D I don't know about Halachic status but a situation like that is possibly the reason for some of the two legged creatures we have around in society today.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years