Author Topic: Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy Than Meat Eaters  (Read 5436 times)

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy Than Meat Eaters
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Any thoughts on this study?  It comes from Austria, so I am skeptical...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/04/01/Vegans-and-Vegetarians-a-picture-of-ill-health

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy Than Meat Eaters
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
Any thoughts on this study?  It comes from Austria, so I am skeptical...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/04/01/Vegans-and-Vegetarians-a-picture-of-ill-health
:jump: Sounds like they hit the nail on it's head... People were not intended to graze like cattle... They were intended to eat the cattle :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »
I'm a vegetarian who eats meat.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
בס''ד

First of all, I don't believe it.

Second, vegans and vegetarians are often pot-smoking hippies. Many of them eat cheese and dairy products, which are loaded with saturated fat.

This constant effort to prove that eating healthy doesn't matter reminds me of two great JTFers who always used to laugh when I spoke about how important it is not to eat garbage. They always called me a "health nut". Tragically, both of them died of massive heart attacks. The reason I mention this is because I really believe that a proper diet can often save lives.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
I don't think that those involved with this study were hippies or dope addicts... Look at what is being said, those vegetarians who were involved in this study did not drink alcohol.

This further demonstrates what I have been saying that the doctors and scientists don't really know what is going on...

Vegetarians are less healthy and have a worse quality of life than meat eaters, according to a study by the University of Graz, Austria.

According to the study, those who abstain from meat are "less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment."
Vegetarians were twice as likely to have atopy (allergies), a 50 percent increase in cancer and a 50 percent increase in heart attacks. They also drank less alcohol.

This is not the first time counter-intuitive research has shown the negative effects of consuming a meat-free diet.

In 2010 the WHO published a study where 30,604 people were followed for an average of 8.7 years on their fruit and vegetable consumption. Those who consumed the recommended 5 pieces of fruit and vegetables a day did not have less cancer nor enjoyed better health. They were even forced to conclude the opposite.

"A very small inverse association between intake of total fruits and vegetables and cancer risk was observed in this study."

This study even concluded that a "..growing body of epidemiological, clinical and experimental evidence suggesting that regular cheese intake may reduce the risk of cardiovascular outcomes."

On alcohol those who drink moderately have far lower levels of heart disease and consequently live longer than tee totallers.

The WHO's study into passive smoking also found no statistical significant correlation with lung cancer and heart disease. Astonishingly the only subset section of information was that children exposed to tobacco smoke have a statistically significant 22 percent reduction in lung cancer in later life.

Many will be surprised and even disappointed at the findings of the University of Gratz's study. However there is plenty of evidence that what we are being told on health at best not evidence based and at worst blatant misleading.

So this study suggests that consuming alcohol is actually healthy... I do not drink alcohol except for Kiddush wine, and one the holidays we are supposed to drink...

Each person should adopt a diet which is healthy for them... There is no one-size-fits-all diet for everyone.. This is my observation.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »
vegetarians look green. (actually pale)

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »
Says that the Hachamim said that eating meat and eggs is very good.

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
I completely respect Chaim for standing up for healthy living (even though on eggs, forgive me for saying what I feel obligated to based on the scientific method, not studies). Today's vegetables are typically grown in poisoned soil, and while animals also eat the grass from it, meaning we have the same toxins coming in, vegetables simply will not develop the proper nutrients to sustain a healthy diet, and eating meat and fish from time to time is almost essential these days. I can provide a diet plan that will satisfy your nutrient needs as vegetarians, but it's extremely expensive to do so. On a budget, you simply will not be healthy if you don't have meats in your diet.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:13 PM »
Science is not an exact science.  I would like to see a study that says people who offer animal sacrifices live the longest of all.  I would like to see the Temple rebuilt for this study.  That is the study I am going to believe in.

If a corporate scientist from the parent company of Monsanto's owner's home wants to do a study on that, I won't say a thing :)

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
I actually heard of this before that vegans have the shortest life span average on a vegan video by a vegan leader on Youtube but can't find the link. There are several vitamin deficiencies associated with veganism and I am not surprised.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:07 AM »
I actually heard of this before that vegans have the shortest life span average on a vegan video by a vegan leader on Youtube but can't find the link. There are several vitamin deficiencies associated with veganism and I am not surprised.

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/020512/usa___vegetarians_live_shorter_lives_.aspx

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:53 AM »
Holistic diets are the best IMO... I am no scientist, no health nut, no fruitopian, no doctor, no tailor, no soldier, no spy... But my understanding of Torah wisdom is that everything (which is at least kosher) which is not an obvious poison, in moderation, is not harmful. You are free to disagree with me, and judging from these threads lately nobody is agreeing with much of what anyone is saying.

I agree with Chaim on the point that fruits and vegetables are essential for keeping healthy. Regarding the amounts, the servings, I am not committed to any particular figures, but that a person at least consume some fruits and some vegetable during a two day period. I eat oranges and bannannas for fruit, and I have a salad of green vegetables every lunch, and usually carrots, peas, corn kernels, green beans along with my main meal (usually beef or chicken, alternating days)... I do like cheese, and have a pizza from time to time (I always miss the pizza during Passover, matzah pizza just doesn't do it)... I also sometimes nosh on a cheese bagel...

And while I am out of shape, my advice is to continue exercising while you can. Due to my health problem I do not take walks like I used to do in my 20s-30s, but walking is a good exercise and so is jogging (which my ex wife does)...

This is my advice, listen to others advice and learn from your experience... Everyone's life is not the same, and we should all try to help everyone live healthier. I appreciate Chaims discussions on this topic...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 01:03:48 AM »
http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/020512/usa___vegetarians_live_shorter_lives_.aspx

Could you have found a site which would not appear biased? Like really 'meat trade dialy news'.... I bet they are fair concerning vegetarians.

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:16:39 AM »
Tons of sources on the dangers of veganism

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet3.html

Article about a vegan baby who died at 6 weeks

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html?_r=0

The Dangers of Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »
Oh and to anyone taking multivitamins, they're great in Iraq, but to get the nutrients in one carrot (and I don't trust irradiated baby carrots AT ALL) would take a box of them. Look no further for a superfood. Also, two less commonly known superfoods in the West are endives and artichokes, both of them have health benefits I could fill pages with.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 03:04:26 AM »
בס''ד

First of all, I don't believe it.

Second, vegans and vegetarians are often pot-smoking hippies. Many of them eat cheese and dairy products, which are loaded with saturated fat.

This constant effort to prove that eating healthy doesn't matter reminds me of two great JTFers who always used to laugh when I spoke about how important it is not to eat garbage. They always called me a "health nut". Tragically, both of them died of massive heart attacks. The reason I mention this is because I really believe that a proper diet can often save lives.
A true vegan eats no animal products of any kind, even honey. Yes a lot of them are druggies, but a lot aren't.

In my honest opinion, an extremely strict, very low-calorie but well-balanced, and all-natural vegan diet probably is the optimum--but very few people have the willpower to do that. Since most people cannot be that strict, I believe a well-balanced and reasonably healthy diet can include some meat and dairy if it is minimally processed.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 04:34:28 AM »
A true vegan eats no animal products of any kind, even honey. Yes a lot of them are druggies, but a lot aren't.

In my honest opinion, an extremely strict, very low-calorie but well-balanced, and all-natural vegan diet probably is the optimum--but very few people have the willpower to do that. Since most people cannot be that strict, I believe a well-balanced and reasonably healthy diet can include some meat and dairy if it is minimally processed.

Honey is extremely healthy. It's also great for your hair. You won't have the willpower to do it for long or much else. Royal jelly is also superb for your health, as well as pollen. All the vegetarians I know are pot-smoking, though some are the pro-UN type of commie hippy.

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 06:00:01 AM »
The article is not quite correct, people who eat vegetarians are much healthier!!!   :laugh: :laugh:   :P
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
Oh man! Just eat and then eat a lot of dark green vegetables. You would need a massive database server to keep track of what's good and what's bad.
Just avoid greasy fried stuff.

How about T-bone steak salad?
How about grill chicken salad? Or shrimp salad for the filthy goy?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 05:21:51 PM »
The article is not quite correct, people who eat vegetarians are much healthier!!!   :laugh: :laugh:   :P

Vegeterianivore!!  :::D

Oh man! Just eat and then eat a lot of dark green vegetables. You would need a massive database server to keep track of what's good and what's bad.
Just avoid greasy fried stuff.

How about T-bone steak salad?
How about grill chicken salad? Or shrimp salad for the filthy goy?

Shrimps are not healthy. They eat garbage, and it's full of fat and toxins. It's not good to mix salad with your meat. Salad doesn't get digested, it cleans, so it's best to eat it before your regular meal, and it will improve digestion, while after or before reduces digestion and wastes food.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
Vegeterianivore!!  :::D

Shrimps are not healthy. They eat garbage, and it's full of fat and toxins. It's not good to mix salad with your meat. Salad doesn't get digested, it cleans, so it's best to eat it before your regular meal, and it will improve digestion, while after or before reduces digestion and wastes food.

Ok fine. salad then steak.
I know well what shrimps eat....fish doodooo. but that's what makes it taste so good. Just imagine lobsters...100 years of accumulated poo.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
Salad does get digested. The fiber doesn't but there are a lot of nutrients in salad that are good for your body and do get digested.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »
Salad does get digested. The fiber doesn't but there are a lot of nutrients in salad that are good for your body and do get digested.

if you're talking about lettuce, yes it does get digested......but to get "a lot of nutrients" you'd have to eat like a cow - you'd have to eat a lot. A lot meaning perhaps a head of lettuce every hour all day long.

I can't go on just vegetables. I have to murder some animal.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »

The minerals do, the salad which is cellulose mostly doesn't.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 11:40:42 PM »
Ok fine. salad then steak.
I know well what shrimps eat....fish doodooo. but that's what makes it taste so good. Just imagine lobsters...100 years of accumulated poo.

Hahh ROFLMAO...