Author Topic: Samuel L. Jackson marches in the Israeli Day Parade  (Read 2423 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Samuel L. Jackson marches in the Israeli Day Parade
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »
http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-742/rebecca/?p=742

Age of Isaac and Rebecca

How old were Isaac and Rebekah when Jacob and Esau were born – 63 and 23 years?

The verse (Gen. 25:26) explicitly records Isaac’s age at the birth of his two sons to be 60 years old. In Gen.25:20 we learn that he married Rebecca at age 40. Therefore, if, as much of the rabbinic chronology indicates, she was 3 at the time of marriage she would have given birth, as you suggested, at age 23. However, there are opinions that she was older (for example Ibn Ezra) at the time of her marriage to Isaac.

All the best,
R’Daniel Fleksher

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1 Follow-up »
I find it hard to understand she “was 3 at the time of her marriage” because in Genesis 24-18 she gave drinks to
Abraham’s servant and his camels. I’d like to know Ibn Ezra’s opinion.

I understand your consternation. The Ibn Ezra (Gen. 24:59) explains that when Rebecca is sent out with her “nurse”, this is referring to the woman who used to be her nurse long before, implying that she has grown significantly since then. On the other hand, I have a three year old son who is of average size and, at least physically, would be capable of carrying significant amounts of water (approx. 3 liters at a time) until the job was done. Whether he would think to do that on his own is a different story.

Comment by ATR — December 21, 2006 @ 3:36 pm
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Samuel L. Jackson marches in the Israeli Day Parade
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Interesting answer.

On a different thought, there is something Kahane always talked about.  Sometimes knowing the truth can make us uncomfortable..and even the Jewish halakhic truth can make one uncomfortable..but it is what it is and it's ok to question and even debate it.

The reason why I mention this is the idea of a grown man marrying a 3 year old.  Even though a couple of people answered the question, the answer still doesn't satisfy me.  It can be because of me, who is a modern day person, or it could be that I just don't get it yet and will one day.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein