Author Topic: What is your favorite style of music?  (Read 41508 times)

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
Re: What is your favorite style of music?
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »
If the guitar was less driven and the singer actually sang then it might be OK, but not the kind of thing I generally listen to. The beginning reminded me of Linkin Park (this is not a good thing)

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
i like Rush,Zeplin,Alice in chain,Green day and all soft rock.I like all music,saying that boy bands can do 1..i hate arab sounding music as it drones on about the Apostate.
I love those first two - hate the latter two.  My 5 favorite bands (or singers) are AC/DC, The Who, Rush, Led Zeppelin, and Matisyahu.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
Also does anyone know of any really good Israeli bands that we could promote for JTF?

I don't know if Chaim would fancy any Israeli bands that we might like other than those that play Klezmer music.

I personally like Safam a lot! I saw them in Concert in Forest Hills, NY several years ago and purchased a couple of their CDs. I'm sure there are other good bands too, but that's the one that comes to mind right away.

ftf

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
If the guitar was less driven and the singer actually sang then it might be OK, but not the kind of thing I generally listen to. The beginning reminded me of Linkin Park (this is not a good thing)
Why can I so rarely find anyone who likes the music I like?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2007, 07:48:52 PM »
My favorites include Weezer, Sting/The Police, Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, and Tears For Fears.  My favorite genre is probably Classic Rock, and I hate rap with a passion.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »
Meatloaf and Erasure are among my favorite groups. I like most music from the 80s. It was all downhill from there :( I also like the more mellow stuff like Yanni, Ray Lynch, John Tesh, and Enya. I've been made fun of a lot for these ones, but I don't care :)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »
Forgot to mention Def Leppard and Depeche Mode.  Erasure's not bad, but the lead singer is Gay and has Aids.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
Forgot to mention Def Leppard and Depeche Mode.  Erasure's not bad, but the lead singer is Gay and has Aids.

Oh yes, Def Leppard and Depeche Mode! The lead singer has AIDS? I didn't hear that.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2007, 10:19:04 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure.  Andy Bell I believe is his name.  He's been pretty open about being Gay for a very long time, and I believe I read an article a while back that stated he was also HIV positive.  You can double check on Google or wikipedia.  Anyway, while, I disagree with his moral judgements, on a music level, I do tend to enjoy Erasure's music for the most part.  They're somewhat similar to Depeche Mode, especially the earlier music.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure.  Andy Bell I believe is his name.  He's been pretty open about being Gay for a very long time, and I believe I read an article a while back that stated he was also HIV positive.  You can double check on Google or wikipedia.  Anyway, while, I disagree with his moral judgements, on a music level, I do tend to enjoy Erasure's music for the most part.  They're somewhat similar to Depeche Mode, especially the earlier music.

Yeah, the New Wave music from the 80s and early 90s was kickass! I dunno what it is. But it seems like some gays have more of a natural talent towards music and art. I don't think I've ever met a hetero male art teacher before :)

newman

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »

Yeah, the New Wave music from the 80s and early 90s was kickass! I dunno what it is. But it seems like some gays have more of a natural talent towards music and art. I don't think I've ever met a hetero male art teacher before :)

Of coarse gays are more artistic.

How can we prove Michaelangelo was queer?

If he was straight, the roof of the Sistine Chapel would have got two coats of off-white.

Erica

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2007, 03:03:41 AM »
R&B- Earth Wind and Fire
       Al Green
       The Gap Band
       Frankie Beverly and Maze
       The Four Tops
        The Temptations
        Teena Marie
        Bobby Caldwell
        Prince
        Michael Jackson
        Luther Vandross
        Freddie Jackson
        Evelyn "Champagne" King
        Brick
        Confunkshun
        Cameo
        Heatwave
        Rose Royce

and MANY MANY MORE!!!

Classic / Soft Rock:  Phil Collins
                   Air Supply
                   Gino Vanelli
                   Journey
                   The Cars
                   Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
                   The Doobie Brothers
                    Kenny Loggins
                   Little River Band
                   Christopher Cross
                   The Pet Shop Boys
                   Culture Club (that's considered Pop)
                   Michael McDonald
                   Pat Bennetar
                   Heart
                   Kiss
                   Aerosmith
                    Bryan Adams

Gospel:          Kirk Franklin
                    Aretha Franklin
                   Patti LaBelle
                   Rev. Shirley Cesar
                   Albertina Walker
                   The Soul Children of Chicago
                    Mississippi Mass Choir
                   Ruben Studdard
                    Fred Hammond
                    Ty Tribbett

No country please... Can't stomach it.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 03:23:36 AM by Erica »

raiseyourfist

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2007, 05:35:00 AM »
Tesla is a band i have become very fond of lately...

Anyone who likes reformed classic rock

GET TESLA.. listen to their new album INTO THE NOW

Offline firster555

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2007, 09:30:51 AM »
Wow, you all just made me feel very old. I have never even heard of half of the bands/groups you are talking about. There are only a few definites for me. Rap is the biggest garbage ever to pose as music. Heavy metal started and ended with Led Zepplin, seeing people here label Zepplin as soft rock makes me feel even older.
Good, 60's and early 70's rock and Motown, Stones, Kinks, Who, Santana, Animals, also Skynard, Doobie Brothers, Doors, Temptations, Four Tops, Al Green, Charlie Parker, Muddy Waters, Rod Stewart(Atlantic Crossing album), Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Pink Floyd to name a few.
Opera singers are talented but I could never get into it.
Doo Wop, 50' rock and roll and classical music I also listen to occasionally.
Disco, which I scorned when it came out, I actually now find myself listening to with nostalgia(70's stuff).
Love patriotic music and revolutionary period Fife and Drums stuff.
Two things I also enjoy that I did not see anyone mention, hope I am not thought to weird, is marching Band music and Swing music.
Not now, but when I was still able, play swing music and you could not keep me off the dance floor.
Unfortunetly though, often I need to ignore the lyrics and just enjoy the music with many many songs.
In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man. Brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
Aw c'mon... no more metalheads here?  :P ;)

If any of you want to just try metal out as a genre and are new to it, probably the very best sampler around is the Freddy vs. Jason sountrack (Roadrunner). Twenty songs, a  good mix of what is out there, most of it not frighteningly hard, but with a true death-metal track or two thrown in just so you can see what it is like.  ;D

ftf

« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »

If any of you want to just try metal out as a genre and are new to it, probably the very best sampler around is the Freddy vs. Jason sountrack (Roadrunner). Twenty songs, a  good mix of what is out there, most of it not frighteningly hard, but with a true death-metal track or two thrown in just so you can see what it is like.  ;D
Of you like metal, do you perhaps like underoath?

raiseyourfist

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2007, 10:28:41 PM »
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE IS MY FAVOURITE BAND...

I probably should have mentioned that at the beginning of the thread...

HOWARD JONES ROCKS... BEST VOICE IN THE METAL WORLD

Joe Schmo

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
I liked Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc., when I was a teenager.  Now, I only listen to great music.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
I liked Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc., when I was a teenager.  Now, I only listen to great music.

Scriabin, I am not saying I agree with this, but would you consider progressive rock (Pink Floyd etc.) to be the closest thing to classical music in the world of popular music?

Joe Schmo

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »

Scriabin, I am not saying I agree with this, but would you consider progressive rock (Pink Floyd etc.) to be the closest thing to classical music in the world of popular music?

I'll buy that.  You could put Queen on that list as well.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »
I am of course correct in assuming that you prefer real classical music... ;)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »
How about Skrewdriver?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

newman

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
How about Skrewdriver?

Nothing I can put right?

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2007, 07:41:53 PM »
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE IS MY FAVOURITE BAND...

I probably should have mentioned that at the beginning of the thread...

HOWARD JONES ROCKS... BEST VOICE IN THE METAL WORLD
I saw Howard Jones at Radio City Music Hall about 100 years ago  :o - he was good then.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2007, 07:48:26 PM »

Jeffguy I'm sure.