Author Topic: Replies from the Email Campaign  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
Replies from the Email Campaign
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »
I just received this email reply:

Thank you for writing in to Minister Avigdor Lieberman regarding Chaim Ben Pesach. As I am not familiar with this case, is there any further information/documentation you can forward me?

Sincerely,

Aron Shaviv

Foreign Affairs Advisor

Office of the Minister of Strategic Affairs
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:38:31 AM by Daniel »

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
Re: Replies from the Email Campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »
This is good news. The above reply indicates that they are at least interested! I'm sure Jimmy can help with the info/documentation. Great work, Daniel.

Thanks.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:50:53 AM »
I just asked if anyone had gotten any replies on the original thread - nice to hear you did!
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
That is really great news!
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:33:24 PM »
I got no replies unfortunately. I think I wrote a good letter.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:38:16 PM »
I got no replies unfortunately. I think I wrote a good letter.
I haven't gotten any either -
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »
neither have i
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »
I asked Chaim how he would reply to the email which Daniel received from Lieberman's advisor.

First, let me state that Avigdor Lieberman is not just a Knesset member. He is the head of a major political party, Yisrael Beitenu (Israel Is Our Home). His party has 11 Knesset members. (The entire Knesset has a total of 120 members.) And Lieberman's party is an essential part of the current government coalition. Lieberman himself is also a Cabinet minister - he's the "Minister of Strategic Affairs". Lieberman and his party are all Russian Jewish immigrants who were able to go to Israel because of Chaim and the JDL. Although Lieberman will probably not intervene on Chaim's behalf, if by some miracle he would even respond positively in writing, this would be important to us.

Now here is how Chaim recommends that Daniel respond to the email from Lieberman's aide:

Mr. Aron Shaviv
Foreign Affairs Advisor

Dear Mr. Shaviv:

Thank you for your reply to my letter on behalf of Chaim Ben Pesach.

Here is a brief review of some of the facts in Chaim's case:

1. Chaim's English name is Victor Vancier. However, as soon as he can make aliyah, he wishes to use his Hebrew name (Chaim Ben Pesach) as his legal name in Eretz Yisrael.

2. Chaim was the National Chairman of the Jewish Defense League (JDL), when the organization led the world-famous campaign to liberate Soviet Jewry. In order to publicize the desperate plight of our Jewish brothers and sisters behind the Iron Curtain, Chaim bombed Soviet diplomatic targets in the United States. These bombings did indeed put the issue of Soviet Jewry on the front pages of newspapers throughout the world, and made the Soviet Jewry struggle the number one story on American television and radio. Chaim only bombed empty buildings and empty parked Soviet diplomatic cars, because he did not intend to injure anyone. And in fact, no one was injured in any of the bombings which only caused property damage. In the most famous incident in the history of the Soviet Jewry struggle, Chaim also released tear gas at the Moiseyev Soviet ballet in Lincoln Center in New York. All of these incidents took place between 1984 and 1986.

3. Chaim was eventually arrested and convicted of committing these acts to save Soviet Jewry. Chaim spent five and a half years in the worst prisons in the United States as a result of his actions, and then was on probation or house arrest for an additional 12 years. After this punishment of seventeen and a half years either in prison or on probation and house arrest, Chaim decided to fulfill his lifelong dream of making aliyah in 1996.

4. Chaim flew to Israel and upon arriving at Ben Gurion Airport on July 22, 1996, he was immediately surrounded and arrested even though he never violated any Israeli law. Chaim was locked in a cell without any toilet for 24 hours, and then was expelled against his will from Eretz Yisrael. He was placed on a plane going back to the galut, back to the United States.

5. Chaim then applied for aliyah through the Jewish Agency in New York. His application for aliyah was rejected on March 27, 1997.

6. Chaim appealed the rejection by writing to the Interior Minister. In a letter dated September 25, 1997, Chaim was notified by the Interior Ministry that he would not even be allowed to visit Israel.

7. Chaim's actions on behalf of our brothers and sisters in the Soviet Union ended in 1986. Chaim has not violated any laws since 1986. He has been a law-abiding citizen for 21 years.

8. Chaim is now 50 years old. He has been prevented from making aliyah since 1996, for the past 11 years.

9. The Israeli government invited Yasser Arafat and 80,000 PLO-Fatah terrorists into Israel under the Oslo accords. But a 50 year old Jew who damaged Soviet property 21 years ago to save Russian Jews is not allowed to make aliyah?

10. Chaim speaks, reads and writes Hebrew fluently, and is ready to make aliyah immediately if given the chance.

11. Chaim will certainly be a law-abiding citizen in Israel.

Mr. Shaviv, please ask Minister Lieberman to help Chaim Ben Pesach make aliyah. Many people will be very grateful to you if you help in this humanitarian case. This case is a terrible injustice.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:18:35 PM by jsullivan »

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 02:38:31 PM »
I just copied and sent this to Aron Shaviv. Thanks.

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
Thanks Daniel!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »
Thanks Daniel!

You're quite welcome and glad to be of help. I hope it makes a difference.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 08:04:18 PM »
That's an amazingly good response!
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
I just received this email from Aron Shaviv in response to the letter I sent from Jimmy's note:

Thank you for the information. I will discuss this issue with minister Lieberman.

Sincerely,

Aron Shaviv

Foreign Affairs Advisor

Tel: +972 2 6547117

Fax: +972 2 6547101

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »
You know they lie
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
You know they lie

"I will discuss this issue with minister Lieberman."= "I'll delete the email and block your email address as soon as possible"
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
Probably or maybe if they get enough they'll take a look

Shot at 2010-01-03

Joe Schmo

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
I got 4 back.  Two of them said this:

The following message to <[email protected]> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
Unknown address error Message from... rejected
based on blacklist - Please contact remove<at>walla.net.il stating your IP
address'

What does 'rejected based on blacklist' mean?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:48:28 PM by Scriabin »

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 01:46:41 PM »

address'

What about the other 2?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:48:49 PM by Scriabin »

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »

It means that your e-mail address is on walla's black list.
If you're on their black list it means that they think you are a spammer.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »

address'

What about the other 2?

One said this:

Your message

To:      [email protected]
  Subject: Jewish Hero
  Sent:    Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:59:20 +0200

did not reach the following recipient(s):

[email protected] on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:04:36 +0200
    The recipient name is not recognized
   The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a=
;p=knesset-israel;l=ZAVITAN0708280504QS0N97S1
    MSEXCH:IMS:KNESSET-ISRAEL:KNESSET:ZAVITAN 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

The other said this:

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: [email protected]
  Reason: Over quota
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:53:59 PM by Scriabin »

Joe Schmo

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 01:59:15 PM »
You know they lie

"I will discuss this issue with minister Lieberman."= "I'll delete the email and block your email address as soon as possible"

Perhaps, but why would they bother replying at all if that is their attitude?

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »
Scriabin, you are not the only one who has not been able to send an email to Knesset members Livnat and Avraham. Many of our posters, including people on our Hebrew forum, have gotten the same message in regard to those two Knesset members. It seems that there is some problem sending emails to those two Knesset members for some reason.

As far as the "blacklist" message, I have no idea what that is. As far as I know, you are the only one who has gotten that message. I hope that most of your emails got through despite that.

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »
You know they lie

Perhaps, but why would they bother replying at all if that is their attitude?

I agree with Scriabin. We know what politicians are like, but let's not assume the worst. Even a political opportunist may decide that it is in his best interest to respond positively. At least, that's what we're hoping for, G-d willing.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 09:14:01 AM »
Quote from: jsullivan link=topic=8135.msg76240#msg76240 date=
Scriabin, you are not the only one who has not been able to send an email to Knesset members Livnat and Avraham. Many of our posters, including people on our Hebrew forum, have gotten the same message in regard to those two Knesset members. It seems that there is some problem sending emails to those two Knesset members for some reason.

As far as the "blacklist" message, I have no idea what that is. As far as I know, you are the only one who has gotten that message. I hope that most of your emails got through despite that.
The problem with the first message is the email address is wrong.  It is actually llivnat@knesset.gov.il.  I caught this before sending the email and did not get a bounce.
As for the second one, I received the same message.  It appears that the mailbox is full and you can't really do anything about that until the recipient cleans it out.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 11:18:14 AM »
I participate in a lot of email action alerts. Just about every single elected official has an automated reply message stating that they receive lots of messages every day and that they can't answer every single message or that it may take a while to reply. Many times, a few weeks later, I'll get some sort of form letter response from that official stating his/her position on the issue that I emailed about.

The fact that Aron Shaviv replied so quickly with personalized responses, I think that's a very positive sign. So yes, I think it's good to be a bit sceptical about whether or not they're taking our messages seriously. At the same time, I think we shouldn't be too cynical and should be somewhat optimistic by recognizing the good signs that have come of this so far.