Yes.
19 (38.8%)
No.
25 (51%)
I'm not sure.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM

Author Topic: What Do You All Think Of Halloween?  (Read 51253 times)

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
Re: Should Halloween be banned?
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
But they still don't keep it the way Jews are supposed to. They just close their stores but still do melacha, which is fine, because they're not supposed to keep it.

yes that's the point we celebrate them on chritian way becouse since IV century christianity was divorced from judaism; btw Joshua was not even phareseic Rabbi; so even hebrew christians don't fallow oral Torah and Talmud; we gentile christians suposed to keep  10 comandments but on other ways; we're not required to hold all those commndents like dietetery laws; banns on intermarriages; all those purity laws  which were strictly tied and purposed for Jewish comunity living in ancient Judea and Israel. However moral Torah about the relations with G-d and brother were not only uphold but broadened.  
I'm not sure intermarriage is allowed in the Christian faith or any other faith for that matter, as intermarriage is seen as a rejection of one's religion.

national or ratial is allowed religius is not. (I can't citate NT on this forum).
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »
Yes u r right!

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2007, 01:34:27 PM »
Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews.

As a Christian, I find this HIGHLY offensive, Yacov. With all due respect you clearly know nothing about Christianity if you believe the 10 Commandments are not fundamental to the religion.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »
The whole premise behind halloween is an evil one, a celebration of witchcraft and the occult, it is evil, and should definitely be banned in any Christian or Jewish nation.

Would you agree with a festival, based on no religious grounds whatsoever, that was a fun festival for children to celebrate the childish affinity for being "scared"?

ftf

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
The whole premise behind halloween is an evil one, a celebration of witchcraft and the occult, it is evil, and should definitely be banned in any Christian or Jewish nation.

Would you agree with a festival, based on no religious grounds whatsoever, that was a fun festival for children to celebrate the childish affinity for being "scared"?
That would be fine. The issue with Halloween is the association with witchcraft and evil spirits.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »

That would be fine. The issue with Halloween is the association with witchcraft and evil spirits.

Which nobody knows about. These days it is a totally secular festival which is as I described above.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2007, 01:46:39 PM »

Which nobody knows about. These days it is a totally secular festival which is as I described above.

Ignorance is not excusing anyone; maybe people don't know or rather choose not to belive; but HE knows.

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »

Well I'm celebrating Costume Day, gonna dress up like a movie hero, have a lot of laughs and I plan on shmoozing with the lovely women. You religious guys knock yourselves out in your self satisfied sanctamonious objections to this harmless, very American (now, yeah yeah, celtic historical whatever blah blah), tradition, I'll post pictures of myself having a ball. I guess you all will be watching tv that night, er yeah, good luck with that.  ;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »
It's a holiday derived from the Hispanic holiday The Day of the Dead, in which evil entities are supposed to be celebrated.
First off, I want to thankyou for your great post. I am, however having some problems making a connection between the European Celtic Samhain of Oct 31st and the Mexican Days of the Dead of Nov1 and Nov 2nd. Just because the day of the dead was celebrated in pre-Hispanic, meso America for centuries while Samhain was celebrated in Cletic Europe before America was ever discovered.
However, I agree with your premise. Maybe, there was a cultural merger between the two holidays to create on big DEATH celebration in the US.

BTW, why would nayone celebrate this:
This is a "day of the dead" event picture, I just see things like these and creep-out...SKELETONS?

I got this from an article about the "Day of the dead" I dont like it one bit...when someone dies, mourn for them, why would anyone think that "sprits" come back, make altars for them and leave the food, that's just creepy

El Día de los Muertos is not about candy, costumes or even being afraid of ghosts and goblins. Despite its close proximity to Halloween, El Día de los Muertos encompasses a different message. 
Translated as Day of the Dead, it is a festive and somber celebration with deep roots in the Mexican and Chicano cultures. The day reserved for honoring the dead occurs every year on Nov. 1 and 2 in Mexico, Latin America and indigenous tribes.
Participants believe the spirits of dead loved ones return at midnight to their gravesites or homes, where family members are gathered in remembrance of them.

Nov. 1 is for remembrance of deceased infants and children. On Nov. 2 the more commonly celebrated day, is reserved for those who died as adults.  In order for the spirits to find their grave sites or homes, family members help them find the way by setting up elaborate altars with candles, flowers and special mementos of that spirit. We are welcoming them back to the right place. You don’t want your ancestors lost,” Chicano and Latin American studies professor Ramon Sanchez said.

These altars, or Altares, include personal belongings of the deceased such as photos, favorite clothing items and favorite foods.

"Welcoming them back"???

In my country we  light the candles on the graves and prey; just like jews leave the stones on their graves; what you decribed has nothing to do with catholic All saints Day;  its diabolic...

Love your Enemy

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2007, 02:21:17 PM »
Yacov,Yes it is the same and one reason New Orleans ,I believe was punished.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2007, 02:32:20 PM »
You are probely right on all reasons

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
Yacov, you have not replied to me saying your statement was highly offensive to Christians. Do you take back the statement?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2007, 02:39:09 PM »
That is what I tell my children.I don't care the race but I do care the religion

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews.

As a Christian, I find this HIGHLY offensive, Yacov. With all due respect you clearly know nothing about Christianity if you believe the 10 Commandments are not fundamental to the religion.

I was stating the Jewish belief, not the Christian belief. The Jewish belief is that no Gentiles are required to keep The Ten Commandments but rather The Noahide Laws.

Well saying that the Ten Commandments are ONLY for Jews is highly offensive to all Christians. Think before you speak.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »
But they still don't keep it the way Jews are supposed to. They just close their stores but still do melacha, which is fine, because they're not supposed to keep it.

As far as I know, Christians are supposed to uphold every one of the Ten Commandments. They're the fundamentals of Christianity. Yes, and you're right that Jews have to keep them, but just as much, plus, keep the other hundred-plus commandments the Torah commands of us.

Christians cannot committ adultery, must honor their neighbor, cannot steal, cannot kill, etc. Those are part of the Ten Commandments.

But the reason they can't do that is because it's in The Noahide Laws. Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews. Why don't Christians follow the other 613 mitzvot if they want to keep Shabbat?

The mitzvot is for Jews, as well as the Ten Commandments. Christianity is a derivative of Judaism, but it's a totally different religion, based on their beliefs and what is written in the Christian bible. Christians who break any of the Ten Commandments will be punished. They must uphold the Shabbat, but they observe it on Sunday. They also don't have as many prohibitions to abide.

Who will they be punished by?

By the way, The "Ten" Commandments actually contain 12 mitzvot. In Hebrew The Ten Commandments are called The Ten Sayings. Two of the sayings contain two commandments. I think an example is "Refrain from idol worship." (Positive) and "Don't practice idolatry." (Negative). The Ten Commandments are only a down payment to the rest of The Torah, the rest of which Christians don't follow at all except for occasional things such as not taking interest on loans which they are permitted to by Torah law because they are not Jewish.

Jews must abide all 613 commandments couse they're chosen by G-d to be priestly nation from which the Messiah comes; you're as firstborne sons to HIM; so we shoud not envy one another over the veight of burden of laws couse G-d has pourpose for all his creation. He loves everyone but Jews were first to warship HIM and they carry on Torah his WORD.    

Love your Enemy

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2007, 02:47:43 PM »
I know what you mean!
Jude

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »
Please, you are here to disrupt.AME African methodist evangelical.Wow.!

no Erica is cool...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »

As far as I know, Christians are supposed to uphold every one of the Ten Commandments. They're the fundamentals of Christianity. Yes, and you're right that Jews have to keep them, but just as much, plus, keep the other hundred-plus commandments the Torah commands of us.

Christians cannot committ adultery, must honor their neighbor, cannot steal, cannot kill, etc. Those are part of the Ten Commandments.

But the reason they can't do that is because it's in The Noahide Laws. Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews. Why don't Christians follow the other 613 mitzvot if they want to keep Shabbat?

The mitzvot is for Jews, as well as the Ten Commandments. Christianity is a derivative of Judaism, but it's a totally different religion, based on their beliefs and what is written in the Christian bible. Christians who break any of the Ten Commandments will be punished. They must uphold the Shabbat, but they observe it on Sunday. They also don't have as many prohibitions to abide.

Who will they be punished by?

By the way, The "Ten" Commandments actually contain 12 mitzvot. In Hebrew The Ten Commandments are called The Ten Sayings. Two of the sayings contain two commandments. I think an example is "Refrain from idol worship." (Positive) and "Don't practice idolatry." (Negative). The Ten Commandments are only a down payment to the rest of The Torah, the rest of which Christians don't follow at all except for occasional things such as not taking interest on loans which they are permitted to by Torah law because they are not Jewish.

Christians who break any of the Ten Commandents will be punished by G-d. Christianity and Judaism are horses of a different color. They share many of the same principles, but on the whole are totally different.

The Commandments have different interpretations between the two faiths, especially due to the mitzvot that Jews have to abide.

Christianity has little to do with the Torah as a whole. Many of the commands in the Christian bible are derived from the Torah, but most of it is totally different from the Torah.

Comparing the two is almost worthless, because they are so different.

Need a strong example of how different they are? How about when it comes down to the identity of The Messiah? Christians already who their Messiah is. Jews do not.

So, yes, there are, indeed, similarities and derivatives, but you really can't put them in the same boat.

Now, if you're talking about the Jewish point of view that's different.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 02:53:31 PM by Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »
O but evil is evil to both?

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2007, 02:51:55 PM »
But its wrong does that not matter?Yea who cares wat G-d thinks.

you know what then? You don't celebrate it...you can't just ban a fun loving holiday that isn't hurting other people in the mean time...  Go some place else to practice what you want...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2007, 02:55:34 PM »
Yes. It's an evil holiday. Figures that evil Hispanics came up with it. What is the purpose of celebrating a day of evil demons and other things of pure evil?

Rabbis have debated on whether or not it is a sin for Jews to participate in such a holiday. The majority decided it was OK, and so the Jewish faith does except the evil of this holiday, sadly. Well, I suppose they saw it from the prespective that the day brings young children great joy receiving candy and dressing up. They're too young to revel in the true essence of the holiday.

A holiday based on evil things is quite unappealing. It's unholy, and not something G-d would approve.

Jews have Purim...In my opinion, little JEwish boys and girls should not go trick or treating..but in my opinoin, ithere is a halloween party that one of their friends are having, it's ok to hang out and dress up.

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2007, 02:56:58 PM »
I voted NO.

I've heard many Christians refer to the New Testement as "the new covenant".  Just like Halloween, if you are secure in your faith as a Jew it shouldn't matter.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2007, 03:06:30 PM »
wow how deep we get here.Glad to be a part of this!Look I don't hate Jews or Christians who celebrate halloween.We here are for the most part on the same side.Rock on JTF
Jude

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2007, 03:14:39 PM »
We all agree I believe.Hey Id love a get togather.We should not be afraid, would anyone join me.I know there are arses who would mess with us but if security was right would you come?
wayne jude

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
Well lets have a fall get togather.My idea is sincere....
Jude