Yes.
19 (38.8%)
No.
25 (51%)
I'm not sure.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM

Author Topic: What Do You All Think Of Halloween?  (Read 51947 times)

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
Re: Should Halloween be banned?
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »
But they still don't keep it the way Jews are supposed to. They just close their stores but still do melacha, which is fine, because they're not supposed to keep it.

As far as I know, Christians are supposed to uphold every one of the Ten Commandments. They're the fundamentals of Christianity. Yes, and you're right that Jews have to keep them, but just as much, plus, keep the other hundred-plus commandments the Torah commands of us.

Christians cannot committ adultery, must honor their neighbor, cannot steal, cannot kill, etc. Those are part of the Ten Commandments.

But the reason they can't do that is because it's in The Noahide Laws. Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews. Why don't Christians follow the other 613 mitzvot if they want to keep Shabbat?

The mitzvot is for Jews, as well as the Ten Commandments. Christianity is a derivative of Judaism, but it's a totally different religion, based on their beliefs and what is written in the Christian bible. Christians who break any of the Ten Commandments will be punished. They must uphold the Shabbat, but they observe it on Sunday. They also don't have as many prohibitions to abide.

Who will they be punished by?

By the way, The "Ten" Commandments actually contain 12 mitzvot. In Hebrew The Ten Commandments are called The Ten Sayings. Two of the sayings contain two commandments. I think an example is "Refrain from idol worship." (Positive) and "Don't practice idolatry." (Negative). The Ten Commandments are only a down payment to the rest of The Torah, the rest of which Christians don't follow at all except for occasional things such as not taking interest on loans which they are permitted to by Torah law because they are not Jewish.

Christians who break any of the Ten Commandents will be punished by G-d. Christianity and Judaism are horses of a different color. They share many of the same principles, but on the whole are totally different.

The Commandments have different interpretations between the two faiths, especially due to the mitzvot that Jews have to abide.

Christianity has little to do with the Torah as a whole. Many of the commands in the Christian bible are derived from the Torah, but most of it is totally different from the Torah.

Comparing the two is almost worthless, because they are so different.

Need a strong example of how different they are? How about when it comes down to the identity of The Messiah? Christians already who their Messiah is. Jews do not.

So, yes, there are, indeed, similarities and derivatives, but you really can't put them in the same boat.

Now, if you're talking about the Jewish point of view that's different.

Obviously I was speaking of the Jewish point of view. Jews believe that Gentiles can do what if a Jew was doing it would be considered to be desecrating Shabbat or do the same on Sunday and get no punishment at all.

Well, you should've stated you were speaking from a Torah-perspective. Most of our members are Gentiles, and as you can see, you've insulted someone by not being specific.

I was speaking about Christianity from the perspective of Christianity, which is what a Christian's perspective should be, since they don't follow the Torah's teachings.

Christians are going to observe their faith from a Christianity perspective, not from that of Judaism.

As Jews, we have our own perspective on how things should be, but since Christians follow a totally different religion that does not involve the Torah's teachings, Christians are not going to follow the commands of the Torah, only the Christian bible.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2007, 09:48:55 PM »
You know, I am probably the only person who feels this way (other than Erica  :o), but so be it.

I like Halloween and see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

SOME people abuse it, just like some people abuse Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving. (BTW the first two holidays I listed are pagan holidays too, or at least have had strong pagan influence in their evolution.)

For a long time Halloween was my favorite holiday. Now that I am grown and the worries of the world severely inhibit my ability to partake in it (work, no money for a proper costume, girl troubles, assorted crap), I don't any longer, but I still have a general fondness for the harvest season and pumpkins.

Chaimfan

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2007, 09:54:22 PM »
You know, I am probably the only person who feels this way (other than Erica  :o), but so be it.

I like Halloween and see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

SOME people abuse it, just like some people abuse Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving. (BTW the first two holidays I listed are pagan holidays too, or at least have had strong pagan influence in their evolution.)

For a long time Halloween was my favorite holiday. Now that I am grown and the worries of the world severely inhibit my ability to partake in it (work, no money for a proper costume, girl troubles, assorted crap), I don't any longer, but I still have a general fondness for the harvest season and pumpkins.

Chaimfan

I have this long drawn out discussion in defense of Halloween and you totally left me out? humph!
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2007, 11:08:09 PM »
Sorry, I came to the thread late...  :-[

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2007, 11:16:57 PM »

Well I'm celebrating Costume Day, gonna dress up like a movie hero, have a lot of laughs and I plan on shmoozing with the lovely women. You religious guys knock yourselves out in your self satisfied sanctamonious objections to this harmless, very American (now, yeah yeah, celtic historical whatever blah blah), tradition, I'll post pictures of myself having a ball. I guess you all will be watching tv that night, er yeah, good luck with that.  ;D

Aw come on! Give some us some credit...I"ll be at a convention becoming better at fixing peoples' teeth...eh, maybe a party that weekend will suffice..but then again i go to parties every other saturday night anyhow...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

kellymaureen

« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2007, 11:19:34 PM »
gonna dress up like a movie hero

what movie hero?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2007, 11:19:43 PM »
Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews.

As a Christian, I find this HIGHLY offensive, Yacov. With all due respect you clearly know nothing about Christianity if you believe the 10 Commandments are not fundamental to the religion.

I was stating the Jewish belief, not the Christian belief. The Jewish belief is that no Gentiles are required to keep The Ten Commandments but rather The Noahide Laws.

Well saying that the Ten Commandments are ONLY for Jews is highly offensive to all Christians. Think before you speak.

Maybe I can clarify what Yaacov is trying to say:

Non Jews only need to follow the Noahide Laws.

...However...if a nonJew wants to also follow the 10 commandments or more, knock yourselves out! Enjoy
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2007, 11:23:25 PM »
Yes. It's an evil holiday. Figures that evil Hispanics came up with it. What is the purpose of celebrating a day of evil demons and other things of pure evil?

Rabbis have debated on whether or not it is a sin for Jews to participate in such a holiday. The majority decided it was OK, and so the Jewish faith does except the evil of this holiday, sadly. Well, I suppose they saw it from the prespective that the day brings young children great joy receiving candy and dressing up. They're too young to revel in the true essence of the holiday.

A holiday based on evil things is quite unappealing. It's unholy, and not something G-d would approve.

Jews have Purim...In my opinion, little Jewish boys and girls should not go trick or treating..but in my opinion, ithere is a halloween party that one of their friends are having, it's ok to hang out and dress up.

Purim and Hallowen have no connections at all. If anything, Purim teaches us that if we celebrate Gentile holidays, we will be threatened with annihilation.

I was only comparing the two because in both holidays kids dress up in costumes...except on Purim, kids GIVE candy to each other while in Halloween, kids TAKE candy from strangers.

The principles and stories between the two holidays are completely different.  I was only referring to the superficiality of the holidays of wearing costumes and perhaps eating sweets.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2007, 11:25:38 PM »
But its wrong does that not matter?Yea who cares wat G-d thinks.

you know what then? You don't celebrate it...you can't just ban a fun loving holiday that isn't hurting other people in the mean time...  Go some place else to practice what you want...

Even when I celebrated it, I didn't like the evilness that some people made it into. I didn't like the scary stuff. I just liked the costumes and candy. Regardless of whether people misbehave in celebrating it of if they had a scary theme to it with ghosts and witches, the fact that its origin is in a pagan holiday is reason enough not to celebrate it. It's just like Jews shouldn't celebrate Christmas. There's nothing in Christmas that promotes immorality but the fact that it's a Christian holiday is the reason Jews should not celebrate it.

I agree with you a 100%!

But i will make one comment..why should anyone be afraid of Ghosts and stuff like that?  One shoudl only fear Gd and loss of life (maybe)

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2007, 11:41:37 PM »

what movie hero?

I haven't decided yet, but it's between, Neo from the Matrix, Capt Jack Sparrow from The Pirates of the Carribbean, or Wolverine from the X-Men, which do you suggest?  :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:59:02 PM by NewYorker »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

kellymaureen

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2007, 11:55:19 PM »
Ohhh well I have to go with Jack ;D what girl wouldnt!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:06 AM »
You know what? I think I"m goign to dress up as Chaim ben Pesach wiht the plaid shirt, cap and sunglasses with a hand written T-shirt that states, "In your heart...nuts and guts..forgot the quote..." Someone help me...

Offline Hail Columbia

• Master JTFer
  • Vrijheid, Welvaart, Beschaving
    • AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2007, 12:09:53 AM »
You know what? I think I"m goign to dress up as Chaim ben Pesach wiht the plaid shirt, cap and sunglasses with a hand written T-shirt that states, "In your heart...nuts and guts..forgot the quote..." Someone help me...
In your heart, you know we're right.  And in your guts, you know they're nuts.

Learn the truth about rap "music": (Strongly recommended for new members)
www.geocities.com/wilder2k1
My MySpace site:
http://www.myspace.com/hailcolumbiajtf
My YouTube site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HailColumbiaJTF
Dixie Outfitters, Preserving Southern Heritage Since 1861:
http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/
AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website:
http://www.africancrisis.co.za
The Right Perspective, NYC's Most Dangerous Callers to Talk Radio, Airing Live Every Friday Night, 10 PM EST:
http://www.therightperspectivepodcastblog.blogspot.com/

In thy power Almighty, trusting,
Did our fathers build of old;
Strengthen then, O Lord, their children
To defend, to love, to hold
That the heritage they gave us
For our children yet may be:
Bondsmen only to the Highest
And before the whole world free.
As our fathers trusted humbly,
Teach us, Lord, to trust Thee still:
Guard our land and guide our people
In Thy way to do Thy will.

Erica

« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »

what movie hero?

I haven't decided yet, but it's between, Neo from the Matrix, Capt Jack Sparrow from The Pirates of the Carribbean, or Wolverine from the X-Men, which do you suggest?  :D
Wolverine, definately!

I'm taking my kids trick or treating as "MOM" this year. I don't know what my girls want to be though.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
Keeping Shabbat is not in The Noahide Laws. The Ten Commandments is only for Jews.

As a Christian, I find this HIGHLY offensive, Yacov. With all due respect you clearly know nothing about Christianity if you believe the 10 Commandments are not fundamental to the religion.

I was stating the Jewish belief, not the Christian belief. The Jewish belief is that no Gentiles are required to keep The Ten Commandments but rather The Noahide Laws.

Well saying that the Ten Commandments are ONLY for Jews is highly offensive to all Christians. Think before you speak.

Maybe I can clarify what Yaacov is trying to say:

Non Jews only need to follow the Noahide Laws.

...However...if a nonJew wants to also follow the 10 commandments or more, knock yourselves out! Enjoy

But a Non-Jew should not keep Shabbat.

ON a different day of the week..and the way we Jews are supposed to follow shabbat has a lot more rabbinical rules and fences.  It's different for the nonJews and believe me..if one non-Jew wanted to follow the sabbath like we are supposed to, it won't harm the world one bit...I do not believe all non Jews will want to follow shabbat because many will go koo koo over not being able to press an elevator button or being able to take hot showers.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2007, 07:28:07 AM »

How could you forget it, it's in the banner? And Chaim would not want you to do that. But he would like if you did on Purim though.

well, Purim DEFINATELY....on halloween, no one would really get it so it might look lame..

on the other hand, I can be Mr. Afro Jew....yo yo yo whazzzup....shalom lachem!

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
Halloween should definitely be banned. It is extremely Pagan and full of things the Bible absolutely forbids. There is no, "Making it nice" and cute.

There is no way to redeem this celebration or make it "positive". How is dressing up like devils, dead people, ghouls and other nightmarish things "positive"? According to the Bible, witch craft is something that, in the Land of Israel anyway is punishable by death.  So is sorcery, "communing with the dead", all that kind of junk.

Thats because it is going outside the legal avenues of connecting with the Spiritual Realm. I think Hashem is protecting us when He says "Don't Do That!"

If you want to dress up...just have a costume party! Jews have their own costume parties when we celebrate Purim. (And we certainly don't dress up as Devils or witches...at least, we should not.)

Victory is a thing of the will. -General Ferdinand Foch

Our peace must be a peace of victors, not of the vanquished.
- General Ferdinand Foch

We have met the enemy and they are ours.
- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2007, 09:19:51 AM »

This is not true.

The 8th commandment of the famous 10 commandments States: "Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy."

Why is it ok for Non Jews to observe all the OTHER 10 commandments, but not the 8th?

If you are a Torah true person, it doesn't matter if you are a Jew or non-Jew...keeping the 10 commandments is something Jews, Christians and Noahides all ought to do.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:24:48 AM by dawntreader »
Victory is a thing of the will. -General Ferdinand Foch

Our peace must be a peace of victors, not of the vanquished.
- General Ferdinand Foch

We have met the enemy and they are ours.
- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2007, 12:53:08 PM »

This is not true.

The 8th commandment of the famous 10 commandments States: "Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy."

Why is it ok for Non Jews to observe all the OTHER 10 commandments, but not the 8th?

If you are a Torah true person, it doesn't matter if you are a Jew or non-Jew...keeping the 10 commandments is something Jews, Christians and Noahides all ought to do.

100% AGREED!

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2007, 01:31:55 PM »

This is not true.

It is The Fourth Commandment, not the eighth and it is forbidden by Torah Law for a Gentile to keep Shabbat in the way that Jews do. They can celebrate but are not permitted to refrain from activities Jews can't do on Shabbat.

And since when do Christians follow Torah? Christians follow the Bible.

ftf

« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »
I do not think this is a constructive discussion, Christians and Jews have quite a few theological disagreements, we can get all hot under the collar and shout about them, but it's not going to have any possitive effects, we're going to have the same disagreements at the end of the argument, all we could succeed in doing is upsetting eacc other.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:21:23 PM by ftf »

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
No, I don't think Halloween should be banned. I think we're letting too much "outside" influence, change our standards. What is Halloween anyway? It's just another irrelevant day, which makes kids and dentists happy. Also, it's the principle, if we give up Halloween, what's next? Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas.

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »

This is not true.

It is The Fourth Commandment, not the eighth and it is forbidden by Torah Law for a Gentile to keep Shabbat in the way that Jews do. They can celebrate but are not permitted to refrain from activities Jews can't do on Shabbat.

And since when do Christians follow Torah? Christians follow the Bible.
Yachov was stating the Jewish belief. We do not belief Gentiles should follow the Ten Commandments. We also do not believe they should worship Christ. This is the Jewish point of view.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
It s a heathen practice.Non Jewish and non Christian...

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »
Its vile.And pagan.