Yes, my mom is Jewish.
21 (61.8%)
No, my mom is not Jewish.
9 (26.5%)
I don't know.
2 (5.9%)
I converted to Judaism Al Pi Halacha.
0 (0%)
I'm in the process of converting to Judaism Al Pi Halacha.
1 (2.9%)
I left Judaism for another religion.
0 (0%)
My mom is Jewish but I don't consider myself to be.
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Are you Jewish?  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Are you Jewish?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
New yorker Im from New York but I don't get what you mean?

ftf

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 01:31:01 PM »
Blood wise but not by faith.
Another Christian of Jewish blood, cool. (presuming from your username that you are christian.)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 01:34:38 PM »
Yes my mother hid it so in case the [censored] hit the fan again we would be safe/But ! Im
, a Born again Christian

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »
New yorker Im from New York but I don't get what you mean?

That makes sense. Kind of an inside joke. I went into the voice of mother's friend, who is a nice old Polish Jewish woman, and then set you straight the way she would.  Too bad I can't arrange an in person meeting; She'd tell you in no uncertain terms of how you're a nice Jewish boychik and when you protest that you are not, that you are a born again Christian, she'd shut you up with "Enough of this messhugenah nonsense!" and that'd be the end of the argument, she'd then feed you too much, and send you on your way.  ;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
Dont get it but thats fine.She probably was a great women.My mother just wants to protect her kids seeing She remembers what happened.She is now 76 years old....

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:16 PM »
Yes.

About this option in the poll :
"I left Judaism for another religion."
"Jew" is a nationality, you will be a Jew also of you will change your religion.
Therefor a Jew that coverted to Christianety for exemple is Christian Jew .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »
Dont get it but thats fine.She probably was a great women.My mother just wants to protect her kids seeing She remembers what happened.She is now 76 years old....

Lol, um, nothing to get really, it's just when I read how you said you're Jewish by blood, but, born again Christian by conversion, the comical thought of how that old Polish Jewish women would react to that came into my head and made me laugh.  ;D  
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
Yes.

"Jew" is a nationality, you will be a Jew also of you will change your religion.

I thought Israeli was a nationality? I've always found it really misleading when someone calls themselves a Atheist Jew. Wouldn't it make more sense if they were a semitic atheist or a hebrew atheist?

What about someone who converts to Judaism?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
Their is blood and there is faith, two different things but kinda similar.Nazis cant see the difference but we can.

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 02:08:38 PM »
Yes.

I thought Israeli was a nationality? I've always found it really misleading when someone calls themselves a Atheist Jew. Wouldn't it make more sense if they were a semitic atheist or a hebrew atheist?

What about someone who converts to Judaism?
Israeli and a Jew is the same thing, also Hebrews.
Maybe the term "Hebrew" for the non-believers Jews in Judaism will make it less confusing.

And about people who convert (in my opinion) :
Even if YOU are convert you aren't fully Jew by nationalety because you weren't born as a Jew, but with time you will become a part of the Jewish people because you need to absorb the Jewish culture (Jewish music, Jewish art, Jewish motives, Jewish Halach) - you don't have to believe Judaism though - Jewish history and more .

The Jews are a people, you can call tham Hebrews if that's what you want to.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline guyNbluejeans

• Full JTFer
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
In a short-lived dream 15 or so years ago, an elderly woman (whom I took to be Jewish) sat in a rocking chair and told me, "You are part Jewish."

I awoke right after she said that and felt honored. ;)

I must say, however, that I very much believe in Jesus (though hope it won't be held against me in here ;D.)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 03:09:43 PM »
Jesus was Jewish  .OK by me Bro

Offline guyNbluejeans

• Full JTFer
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
Jesus was Jewish  .OK by me Bro

Indeed. :)

Thanks! :) :)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 04:18:26 PM »
I am Jewish. Some people might accuse me of being a self-hating Jew. But to that, I respond by quote Larry David from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" who stated, "Look! I admit I hate myself, but it has nothing to do with me being Jewish!" :) One of the funniest lines ever :)
Why would you be accused of being self-hating? what are your views?

I don't know. Perhaps since I'm liberal on most issues (not including Israel) and also a registered democrat. I like Spielberg, Seinfeld, Larry David, and many of the "evil Hollywood Jews" as Chaim calls them. Oh, and believe it or not, I like a lot of what Dershowitz has to say. (I can sense the daggers flying in my direction now). I really respect him for having such a brilliant debate with Rabbi Kahane and consider the debate the two of them had at Boston University to be the most intellectually stimulating video on the entire internet. I thought Dershowitz made some very good points. However, I felt that while Dershowitz was trying to be idealistic, Kahane was being more realistic, especially evidenced by the state of affairs of today. However, I do loathe the fact that Dershowitz helped to defend OJ.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »
Non Jew here 
No peace, without FREEDOM.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 11:44:33 PM »
Mosque thats cool!
Wayne jude

Kiwi

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:24 PM »

Lot did and its good to protect family thats what mothers do.  O0

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 11:57:19 PM »
Thank you .Many think she was wrong!

Kiwi

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:45 AM »
Thank you .Many think she was wrong!

Many have never been outside their back doors, of even seen what evil man can really do.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 12:05:09 AM »
Thank you! It makes me feel better!

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
Nope.  Going by the Orthodox definition of maternal decent, I would not be considered to be Jewish.

I do realize though that this doesn't mean I am completely separated from Jewish people from a societal viewpoint.

Offline Eugene

• Junior JTFer
  • EUGENE
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 12:10:36 AM »
no need to explain yourselves...

No I am not jewish my mom is not Jewish she is Armenian however I am directly related to them because as I said before My grandad on my father line was 100% Jewish and there was some relative on my Mother side were Jewish. My Great Gramother on my mom line was a German-Jew her last was Marx  a direct discentor of Karl Marx. Moreover In a Former Soviet Uniun Jew was a nationallity that went on father line and if someone had a jewish last no matter if mother is not jewish.Goverment consider them Jew and make more presecution.
8-) shalom

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
My mothewr was a Gentile, and so my father, as far as I know. But how are we to trace our mother's genealogy back to the time of Mt. Sinai? Anyone could be Jewish without knowing it