What are your views on Euthanasia?

Equivalent to Murder
11 (44%)
A right
5 (20%)
It depends
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Euthanasia  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Euthanasia
« on: November 29, 2007, 06:01:45 PM »
Put yourself in the shoes of being a family member of a terminally ill patient. Or even in the shoes of the patient themselves.

newman

Re: Euthanasia
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »
I agree with it under the gravest circumstances IF the person has made a 'living will' and agreed to it. Nobody should live in hideous pain or suffering when they are beyond all hope of recovery.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »
I agree with it under the gravest circumstances IF the person has made a 'living will' and agreed to it. Nobody should live in hideous pain or suffering when they are beyond all hope of recovery.

True. Usually the person is half dead but are being forcefully kept alive with a life support machine. Some people go into comas and then their families ask for Euthanasia, even though there have been many cases where people recover after more then ten years!

newman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »

True. Usually the person is half dead but are being forcefully kept alive with a life support machine. Some people go into comas and then their families ask for Euthanasia, even though there have been many cases where people recover after more then ten years!

That's why there there should be a requirement for a living will. Or if the person is coherent they should be able to request it. If I was immobile, in pain and unable to attend to my own toilet and bathing, I'd want to go.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:30:31 PM »
Some people should be given mandatory euthanasia.

newman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »
Some people should be given mandatory euthanasia.
Olmert for starters.

Kiwi

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »
I 100% agree with euthanasia, which means a good death.

I have been apart of the palliative care team for 13 years, not all can do the role, but it is one that I feel I do the greatest good in.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »
I agree with allowing someone to die, with dignity, when there is no further hope for quality of life.
It helps to have a health care proxy and for the person you appoint as your proxy to know your wishes.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

newman

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »
I agree with allowing someone to die, with dignity, when there is no further hope for quality of life.
It helps to have a health care proxy and for the person you appoint as your proxy to know your wishes.

Sometimes it's a good idea to have your mind go and lay around soiling your pants in your old age. You can get revenge on your kids. :D

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 07:38:04 PM »
I don't like it, because a lot of older and ill people will be murdered, because they are a nuisance to their relatives. There are a lot of bad people in this world. :(

In some cases I can understand it, if somebody don't want to live added to a heath-pulmonary-machine or has heavy pain.

I am undecided.  :-\
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 07:42:54 PM »
That's a stinky  :o  kind of revenge.
Spend all your money before you die - that'll show em.  ^-^
On the other hand - if I'm continent but pleasently confused - I wouldn't mind sticking around just to give a little grief to Jr.  ;)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 08:00:40 PM »
I disagree with all forms of euthanasia. And I make no difference between a lethal injection and omitting a treatment. It's suicide! However if a traetment is ommitted just because that treatment causes pain, not with the purpose of letting the person die, it's wrong but not just euthanasia.
However if the person has written a will and wishes euthanasia, we can't force him to accept Hallacha. There's religious freedom!!!!

newman

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »
I disagree with all forms of euthanasia. And I make no difference between a lethal injection and omitting a treatment. It's suicide! However if a traetment is ommitted just because that treatment causes pain, not with the purpose of letting the person die, it's wrong but not just euthanasia.
However if the person has written a will and wishes euthanasia, we can't force him to accept Hallacha. There's religious freedom!!!!

I don't believe G-d would expect anybody to suffer pain and agony for no good reason.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »
I think according to Jewish law, it's ok to remove the medicine, but not directly kill that terminally ill person.

Otherwise, i won't touch that with a 60 foot pole.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:30:50 PM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 08:42:49 PM »
If someone is a consenting adult of sound mind, I do not think it is the state's business. It is certainly creepy, but not something I think is in the government's place to regulate.

Offline Daniel Ben Hanania

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »
THATS WRONG !!!!! >:(
NEVER AGAIN !!!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »
I think according to Jew law, it's ok to remove the medicine, but not directly kill that terminally ill person.

Dan - Are you a medical doctor?   :)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 09:31:29 PM »
I think according to Jew law, it's ok to remove the medicine, but not directly kill that terminally ill person.

No I'm a Dr. of Love...hehehe..
I'm a dental provider.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

newman

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »

I'm a dental provider.

An oral love doctor, eh?

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 09:39:24 PM »

I'm a dental provider.
Oh...my teeth ache just thinking about you guys   :-X

I was just curious if you were a doctor who had to deal with end of life issues.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 09:40:36 PM »

I'm a dental provider.

An oral love doctor, eh?
Newman - Never misses a beat!  ;)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 10:44:50 PM »

I'm a dental provider.
Oh...my teeth ache just thinking about you guys   :-X

I was just curious if you were a doctor who had to deal with end of life issues.

no, just end of teeth issues...but then i bring new ones to life...so not all hope is lost.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 12:39:54 AM »
There is a difference between disconnecting life support and euthanasia. The latter is lethal drugs while the former allows for a natural death.

This is a good point, Yacov.  I've read that in countries that have wide latitude on euthanasia there have been "slippery slope" cases...older people forced into it "for the good of the family," doctors pressured to "put him out of his misery", etc.

I think once you start playing with life and death, you have to be extremely careful (like having a complicated legal system around execution)...otherwise man's baser instincts will come out.

newman

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »
There is a difference between disconnecting life support and euthanasia. The latter is lethal drugs while the former allows for a natural death.

This is a good point, Yacov.  I've read that in countries that have wide latitude on euthanasia there have been "slippery slope" cases...older people forced into it "for the good of the family," doctors pressured to "put him out of his misery", etc.

I think once you start playing with life and death, you have to be extremely careful (like having a complicated legal system around execution)...otherwise man's baser instincts will come out.

That can be sorted out with 'living wills'. Just like organ donation.

Kiwi

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »

That can be sorted out with 'living wills'. Just like organ donation.

Thats where Australia leads the world in this area. Its legally classed as comfort measures, no one need die in pain while in care. And can pass with their loved ones with them. BTW the Government pays for it 100% when you are classed as palliative care.