Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 15792 times)

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Re: Hunting
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2009, 11:19:06 PM »
q_q, calling Mishmaat a fat person trying to eat healthy is really not nice.  So why don't you just relax, instead of nit-picking everyone's posts? 

Lisa, calling a man fat is not like calling a woman fat.

And the way I said it was purely factual.

You may not know that calling a man "thin" could be just as insulting perhaps worse, than calling a man "fat". This is a man-man discussion you have run into and it's out of your depth.

There is nothing for me to "chill" about since I am actually not angry with anything mishmaat has said.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:11 PM »
q_q_, there's 28 g of sugar in a 240 ml glass of apple juice. Also, in the VitaminWater there's slightly less than 33 g of sugar in a 591 ml bottle.

I'm trying to make that transition from drinking low fat milk to skim milk.

Despite the fact that you didn't ask I weigh about 80 kg. I'm actually fairly thin. I have a fast metabolism.

This is the nutrition content for "Simply Apple" (the thing you have apparently)
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/simply-apple/apple-juice

in one "serving", 240ml, the amount you have it has 28g sugar!!!

Where are you getting milligrams from?

By the way..
some other info
tropicana
http://b.imagehost.org/0745/tr-1.jpg
22g of carb-sugar, in 240ml (8fl oz)

i'm suprised the sugar in your drink is so low..

Fruits have fructose.. which is sugary.. Apple juice  has alot.

Apparently here is the content for orange juice , squeezed. not even from a carton
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Fructose_content_of_Orange_Juice
"Per USDA tables (http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/results.php?storyarticle=4486)

100 g of orange juice have 8.4 g sugar.
orange juice sugar is 50% fructose.
orange juice has approximately 4.2 g fructose per 100 g of juice"
"

I may have made a mistake somewhere... your figure does seem very low.. mg of sugar!! BTW, sweeteners  are bad too.. it's bad to have a taste for sugar, you don't need it, you get enough from natural foods and alot from plain or freshly squeezed fruit.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:11:45 AM by Mishmaat »

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
q_q_ I got the nutritional info directly from the bottle. It's literally just fresh squeezed Pasteurized apple juice.

You could find the same info at: www.simplyorangejuice.com.

You may be right about my sugar intake. I'll certainly take your post into consideration.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2009, 12:03:44 AM »
q_q, calling Mishmaat a fat person trying to eat healthy is really not nice.  So why don't you just relax, instead of nit-picking everyone's posts? 

You may not know that calling a man "thin" could be just as insulting perhaps worse, than calling a man "fat". This is a man-man discussion you have run into and it's out of your depth.

And there is nothing for me to "chill" about since I am actually not angry with anything mishmaat has said.

q_q what the h*** are you talking about???  its out of Lisa's depth???  

She's 100% right.  I know many heavy(fat) people and they are UNBELIEVABLY self conscious about their weight.  If you joke about or comment about their weight... they will take it EXTREMELY personal.  Far more-so than someone who is thin.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2009, 12:12:11 AM »
Im not fat but I am not thin. I don't know what it's like to be fat so maybe it is something to be self conscious about. Many fat people of lower class seem to be fairly happy about their fat condition. I dont eat necessarily healthy but I also don't count my calories or keep track of the pounds of sugar I eat a day. Im in my early to mid 40s now and my metabolism has changed. I used to be much healthier and played more sports. My health issue currently keeps me from the long walks I used to like to take.

It is good to stay healthy but I still think that unless there are metabolism issues one can indulge in sweet foods. I am not someone to give advice in this area but this is how I have lived my life.

What this has to do with the original thread is completely mysterious to me.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »
These threads go all over the place. ::)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:21 AM »
Im not fat but I am not thin. I don't know what it's like to be fat so maybe it is something to be self conscious about. Many fat people of lower class seem to be fairly happy about their fat condition. I dont eat necessarily healthy but I also don't count my calories or keep track of the pounds of sugar I eat a day. Im in my early to mid 40s now and my metabolism has changed. I used to be much healthier and played more sports. My health issue currently keeps me from the long walks I used to like to take.

It is good to stay healthy but I still think that unless there are metabolism issues one can indulge in sweet foods. I am not someone to give advice in this area but this is how I have lived my life.

Sorry if I have offended you. This was not my intention.

My intention was to back you up by pointing out, that food is a great temptation, specially for Jews and so we should consider that. I tried to say it in a humorous way.

:)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 01:34:43 AM »

Sorry if I have offended you. This was not my intention.

My intention was to back you up by pointing out, that food is a great temptation, specially for Jews and so we should consider that. I tried to say it in a humorous way.

:)

No I am not offended by anything in this thread. My only point for commenting was that I know many Jews who came to religious observance late in life. I even have a Rabbi who is a Baal Teshuva and didn't attend Yeshiva till his 30s. He told me that he used to enjoy non-Kosher food and I know what he is talking about. When we develop a taste for something and can totally give it up it shows our devotion, and yirat shamiyim. I did not mean to create a big fuss about this topic. A little bit of understanding is all I am calling for.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 01:56:28 AM »

And there is nothing for me to "chill" about since I am actually not angry with anything mishmaat has said.

q_q what the h*** are you talking about???  its out of Lisa's depth???  

She's 100% right.  I know many heavy(fat) people and they are UNBELIEVABLY self conscious about their weight.  If you joke about or comment about their weight... they will take it EXTREMELY personal.  Far more-so than someone who is thin.

you are thinking like a woman, anyhow,

this was not a pointless comment, like women make, on appearance.

it was more of a comment about his breakfast..

this was really in the context of a particular discussion (related to calories and sugar content) on an internet forum.

Any fat person is going to be alot less self conscious about their weight if they are hidden from view and  behind a computer screen and using an anonymous nickname of their choosing.

When I said he sounds like a fat person trying to eat healthily. Given that he had only mentioned his breakfast and that is what I was quoting.. I had in mind that his breakfast suggests that he has a genetic disposition towards putting on weight, and he craves sugary foods. That doesn't mean he is currently fat.. I don't know what else he eats during the day but probably healthy enough to control his weight. Like an alcoholic, is still an alcoholic, just controlling it..  (though this weakess is worse 'cos you can't not eat)
I did say that the breakfast has unnecessarily unhealthy parts, and that was my point when I made that statement. It's a very important point, and one can focus on that rather than a point about appearance that I wasn't even making. His whole focus was on his breakfast.. It's not like a fat person is going about his daily business and somebody calls him fatso.  This was an intelligent discussion about the contents of the invisible man's breakfast..

Most people in the west are a bit podgy, and can't even see their own muscles. That's why Bruce Lee's appearance shocked people.. And women are supposed to be fat, their fat is just strategically placed. By chinese standards, you're all fat.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 01:59:27 AM »
Well you are fat too, then..... :P

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2009, 02:20:42 AM »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2009, 03:30:19 AM »
Well you are fat too, then..... :P

it takes hard work!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:37 AM »
q_q, what is it to you even if Mishmaat is fat?  The two of you have never met, so what does it have to do with anything here?   Did it ever occur to you that he eats the way he does merely because it gives him energy, and keeps him full until lunch?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2009, 05:08:06 AM »
q_q, what is it to you even if Mishmaat is fat?  The two of you have never met, so what does it have to do with anything here?   Did it ever occur to you that he eats the way he does merely because it gives him energy, and keeps him full until lunch?

what do you mean "what is it to you" ?

It has to do with his breakfast. How healthy it is.

Healthy eating is important. You can be offended that I haven't inquired into your diet to offer my thoughts as to what is healthy for you. I probably know better than you, so you are missing out.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »
While I wouldn't consider myself obese, I'd like to say that I am not the thinnest guy around. I remember reading about this issue and some of our great sages were not necessarily thin. Also, some people have thyroid problems, diabetes, or other health conditions that can lead to weight problems. I wouldn't want possible members not to join because they aren't thin.

Muman, if you don't like the posts about what the righteous gentiles here eat, then I suggest you not read this thread. Our wonderful members, who meaning no ill at all, need a place to talk about things without fear of offending people's sensitivities (like liberals do) when simply talking about their dinner. The others had no reason for apologizing. If it bothers you this much, why are you combing through every post in this thread?

q_q_, while you were correct in your general assessment, your insults and talking down to people will not be tolerated. Clean it up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:41:34 AM by Shlomo »
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »

Here's a very good diet, I did it and dropped 25 lbs. http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/#more-19 It's fairly easy but takes discipline, what's on the diet, is on the diet, and that's it, no substitutions or it won't work. And it's totally kosher as far as I can tell. 
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:02 AM »

Here's a very good diet, I did it and dropped 25 lbs. http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/#more-19 It's fairly easy but takes discipline, what's on the diet, is on the diet, and that's it, no substitutions or it won't work. And it's totally kosher as far as I can tell. 

I like the diet. But I have one problem with it.

I love white  “white” carbohydrates for breakfast. I think I am not able to make it without toast, porridge oats, biscuits, white bread and other things like this.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:47 AM »
Good protein, the right kind of fat, generous amounts of green veggies, and limited starch and sugar is the way to go.  In reference to hunting, just look at out hunter-gatherer an sectors.  They were beacons of health.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »

I love white  “white” carbohydrates for breakfast. I think I am not able to make it without toast, porridge oats, biscuits, white bread and other things like this.

The diet has one day off a week when you can eat whatever you like for the whole day, that's what makes it easy to get through, you stay strict for 6 days, on the 7th, pizza, burgers, ice cream whatever you want, the one day off is not enough to negate your progress if you are strict on the diet.

Side note: He does have "pork" on the list of meats, goes without saying that Jews would simply not use that choice, lol.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »

The diet has one day off a week when you can eat whatever you like for the whole day, that's what makes it easy to get through, you stay strict for 6 days, on the 7th, pizza, burgers, ice cream whatever you want, the one day off is not enough to negate your progress if you are strict on the diet.

Side note: He does have "pork" on the list of meats, goes without saying that Jews would simply not use that choice, lol.

What did you eat for breakfast during this diet?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »

Just like the diet spells out, some scrambled egg whites (with one yolk, or eggbeaters product if you prefer, scrambled on a nonstick pan with minimal oil) and black beans on the side (yes it is weird), actually, you've reminded me, I don't do the beans for breakfast all the time, you can also use oatmeal and stay on the diet, (no butter, sugar, syrup etc) So also scrambled eggs with oatmeal on the side.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »

Just like the diet spells out, some scrambled egg whites (with one yolk, or eggbeaters product if you prefer, scrambled on a nonstick pan with minimal oil) and black beans on the side (yes it is weird), actually, you've reminded me, I don't do the beans for breakfast all the time, you can also use oatmeal and stay on the diet, (no butter, sugar, syrup etc) So also scrambled eggs with oatmeal on the side.

Oatmeal is ok? Then it is all not so bad. I will really try it.

Is tea and coffee allowed?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
While I wouldn't consider myself obese, I'd like to say that I am not the thinnest guy around. I remember reading about this issue and some of our great sages were not necessarily thin. Also, some people have thyroid problems, diabetes, or other health conditions that can lead to weight problems. I wouldn't want possible members not to join because they aren't thin.

Muman, if you don't like the posts about what the righteous gentiles here eat, then I suggest you not read this thread. Our wonderful members, who meaning no ill at all, need a place to talk about things without fear of offending people's sensitivities (like liberals do) when simply talking about their dinner. The others had no reason for apologizing. If it bothers you this much, why are you combing through every post in this thread?

q_q_, while you were correct in your general assessment, your insults and talking down to people will not be tolerated. Clean it up.

I think it is in bad taste to talk about non-kosher foods in a forum where there are religious Jews. Sure, people can be rude and say things which offend people, and that is their choice. I am not angry or upset about anything here. I am simply saying that people should consider that in a place where religious Jews are one should be considerate of those trying to keep these laws.

I did not say anything offensive and I did not belittle anyone.

If the Jewish people really want to bring about the victory of Israel they should investigate what Hashem said to his people at Sinai. When we keep the mitzvot we will be undefeatable.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »
<snip>

Black people have that -feature- , a genetic disposition to putting on weight, and it means they have fat to burn when exercising.. and they have the calories in to fuel their exercise.  They make great athletes partly thanks to that.

Alot of men -wish- they were the fat type. It's fuel for the gym. Fuel that not everybody obtains so easily. For them, being "thin" would be a negative thing. You are looking at being fat type as being a negative thing, listing health problems causing it, and saying some of the sages had the problem. But I wouldn't say it is necessarily a bad thing.   Your implication is that being "thin", is not negative.   You're a guy, I can tell, largely because your name is Shlomo. So you should know of -a- mentality specific to men that like working out, where being fat is fuel for the gym, and being thin is not.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2009, 08:35:15 PM »
<snip>

Black people have that -feature- , a genetic disposition to putting on weight, and it means they have fat to burn when exercising.. and they have the calories in to fuel their exercise.  They make great athletes partly thanks to that.

Alot of men -wish- they were the fat type. It's fuel for the gym. Fuel that not everybody obtains so easily. For them, being "thin" would be a negative thing. You are looking at being fat type as being a negative thing, listing health problems causing it, and saying some of the sages had the problem. But I wouldn't say it is necessarily a bad thing.   Your implication is that being "thin", is not negative.   You're a guy, I can tell, largely because your name is Shlomo. So you should know of -a- mentality specific to men that like working out, where being fat is fuel for the gym, and being thin is not.

Im so confused by everything you are saying.   When I was younger I was extremely thin...  (6'4" and 175 lb)... and I could workout forever.  I could run 3 miles in UNDER 15 minutes(second fastest time in school history).  I could run the 400 meter in 50 seconds, and easily dunk, with a 36 inch vertical leap.  (I had a higher vert leap when I wasnt doing endurance training).  I could NEVER get fat, no matter what I ate because of my high metabolism.

Now,  19 years later, I'm over 210 lbs, and have a hard time walking up a flight of stairs.  I am an embarrassment in the gym.  I look more like a sitcom Dad than an athlete.  I would love to get back to at least 190.  I aint proud of my fat.... to me its a sign of my own sloth.